coco

Chelsea vs Watford (PL) Sun 5th May 14:00 GMT

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Could be confirmed in the Top 4 today LOL.

If we hold on to beat Watford, and Huddersfield can hang on for the United draw, then if Brighton can hold Arse later on, then I think we'd be home !

SAY   WHAAAAAAAT

Honestly, 4 weeks ago, who could have predicted 3rd with the state of things? Amazing! 

I'm so happy that's off our chest now, I would rest Kante for the next two games and keep him fit for the final (should we get there). 

Wow. Not sure how we’ve made top four with a game to spare. 

I suppose we just hung in while all our rivals imploded.

Nice to have the pressure off for the last couple of games. 

It doesn’t paper over the cracks in what’s been a bumpy season. But top four and a trophy would be a credible outcome. 

Losing Hazard is going to be a hell of a blow. We need to spend any income from his sale wisely. At least the belated emergence of Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi is good news. 

Cracking game, Warford really gave it a go and were bang unlucky Kepa pulled off a worldly. 

Scoring goals from corners. Love it.

We are back in the CL!

Thought Christensen and and Jorginho played well over the 90. Ruben tore their midfield apart and Eden was wonderful and unselfish. 

Now to finish the job against Frankfurt!

Well done lads. And well done Sarri Gary deserved that at a minimum.

21 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Cracking game, Warford really gave it a go and were bang unlucky Kepa pulled off a worldly. 

Scoring goals from corners. Love it.

We are back in the CL!

Thought Christensen and and Jorginho played well over the 90. Ruben tore their midfield apart and Eden was wonderful and unselfish. 

Now to finish the job against Frankfurt!

Well done lads. And well done Sarri Gary deserved that at a minimum.

As a servant to the club absolutely as per his recent comments he deserved a kick up the arse and to be slicing the oranges for the team at half time, if he was that concerned about the club at a key time where players mentality needs to be purely focused he would have shut his gob until after the season and not as supposed captain sowed any seeds of discord. Very poor from him and self serving, I was disappointed he has been a great presence in our success. JT would not have done that on his life. 

3 minutes ago, WalterWhiteCFC said:

As a servant to the club absolutely as per his recent comments he deserved a kick up the arse and to be slicing the oranges for the team at half time, if he was that concerned about the club at a key time where players mentality needs to be purely focused he would have shut his gob until after the season and not as supposed captain sowed any seeds of discord. Very poor from him and self serving, I was disappointed he has been a great presence in our success. JT would not have done that on his life. 

I forgive him that. Clearly Sarri did too.

Get in, top 4 done and dusted when at times this season it didn't look possible lovely to see the arse and united bottle it too..

Win the europa and finish 3rd and it doesn't seem like too bad a season on paper!

UTC.

Still in shock. All it took was winning one game. The first one we've won in a while and now its Champs League. I don't think Sarri took full advantage of the squad and I surely would have played Kante at the back of the midfield at times but all in all I think Chelsea have achieved as much as could be expected. At the beginning of the season I hoped for more, but realistically Luiz is way past his best, we didn't and still don't have a striker good enough to consistently play top games. Higuain was that good but he's ageing. 

RLC still seems to have issues with his back and his defensive work is still minimal but going forward he does what Bakyoko was supposed to do and does it much better with goals to boot, so to speak. No doubt he arrived this season.

Willian, Pedro, Luiz, one of Giroud/Higuain, Cahill, Drinkwater, maybe Kovacic plus Hazard are all likely to be missing or not starting next season, so there's a lot of gaps to fill. Thats for another thread. Well done boys.

It's unreal we got the 4th spot wrapped up with 1 game to go, considering we went L-D-D before the game. It just happens our rivals are so much worse than us at this time of the season. Kepa kept us in the game, I doubt we'd fight back and win the game had we conceded in the first half. Injury to Kante was a blessing in disguise in this game, judging by Sarri's subs this season, he'd only give RLC about 30 minutes, which maybe too late in this game. Whatever said at HT worked, and couple of nicely worked corners. Higuian made a good finish again, on top of the smart movement.

There is an irony in yesterday's result that got us top 4, Kante injured and RLC on as a real attacking midfielder.

If we win our remaining games with this set up it would suggest Kante's current role needs to change. 

13 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

There is an irony in yesterday's result that got us top 4, Kante injured and RLC on as a real attacking midfielder.

If we win our remaining games with this set up it would suggest Kante's current role needs to change. 

Or we just play RLC instead of Kovacic.

Sarri’s Napoli had a bruiser, box to box midfielder in Allan and I think Kante is playing the same role. I don’t think we could ask for anyone better, perhaps apart from Vidal at his peak.

RLC can be our ‘Hamsik’. I think our biggest weakness is the attack, we need to overhaul the wingers and strikers.

I’d give Higuain another season but as a second choice striker, but we need probably 2 or 3 new wingers who are really quick. Having said that, Pusilic and CHO could be good enough!

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

Sarri’s Napoli had a bruiser, box to box midfielder in Allan and I think Kante is playing the same role. I don’t think we could ask for anyone better, perhaps apart from Vidal at his peak.

RLC can be our ‘Hamsik’. I think our biggest weakness is the attack, we need to overhaul the wingers and strikers.

I’d give Higuain another season but as a second choice striker, but we need probably 2 or 3 new wingers who are really quick. Having said that, Pusilic and CHO could be good enough!

Not sure about Higuaín though Sarri is quoted as saying he wants to keep him next season and he didn't get a pre-season with us...........

Yes Kante could play instead of Kovacic and agree that Pulisic and CHO plus keeping one of Willian or Pedro would give us squad depth on the wings. 

I don't watch much of our younger players yet am getting caught up in the potential of Reece James as an emerging talent which would also give us more pace from defence or midfield if that potential can be realised.

39 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Can I say I thought Nat Chalobah was great for Watford. I'd be happy to bring him back as cover for Jorginho.

I think he left as he wanted to play so that would need to be instead of Jorginho..........

3 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

It's unreal we got the 4th spot wrapped up with 1 game to go, considering we went L-D-D before the game. It just happens our rivals are so much worse than us at this time of the season. Kepa kept us in the game, I doubt we'd fight back and win the game had we conceded in the first half. Injury to Kante was a blessing in disguise in this game, judging by Sarri's subs this season, he'd only give RLC about 30 minutes, which maybe too late in this game. Whatever said at HT worked, and couple of nicely worked corners. Higuian made a good finish again, on top of the smart movement.

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I genuinely think in matches where we are at home and we are the better team and we expect to dominate possession, Kante can be rotated out from time to time. The team have proved that they can without him quite effectively. While Kovacic and RLC don't have the work rate as Kante, they are able to track back. However, they offer more than Kante on a technical basis and better on the ball too. If the other players work on their defensive responsibilities, the team can definitely cope without Kante.

1 hour ago, STATS said:

I genuinely think in matches where we are at home and we are the better team and we expect to dominate possession, Kante can be rotated out from time to time. The team have proved that they can without him quite effectively. While Kovacic and RLC don't have the work rate as Kante, they are able to track back. However, they offer more than Kante on a technical basis and better on the ball too. If the other players work on their defensive responsibilities, the team can definitely cope without Kante.

I think you are probably right yet there is a danger without seeing this in more matches before we can be confident on that, this is why the next couple of matches might open up that possibility, IMO.