Chelsea v Bayern Munich (CL) Tues 25th Feb 20:00 GMT

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

52 minutes ago, TheSage said:

We're so easy to play against it's worrying. Against the better teams, we should at least learn to play it tight as our attack isn't that strong, but even that we don't want to or can't seem to do. Also, the number of times one of their players beat so many of our players is ridiculous. We really need to learn how to team up to dispossess players with the ball instead of chasing individually and getting dribbled. 
Didn't expect much from this competition though, so whatever (as long as we learn from these sorts of games against an undoubtedly superior team)

Bayern studied us really well during the 1st half. All of their goals came from one tactic. Overload one side then quickly pass to the other side whilst having Muller or Lewandowski drop deep to pull one of 2 CB out of position. The 3rd goal though was also a show of what can a quality player do for you.

43 minutes ago, Deino said:

Bayern studied us really well during the 1st half. All of their goals came from one tactic. Overload one side then quickly pass to the other side whilst having Muller or Lewandowski drop deep to pull one of 2 CB out of position. The 3rd goal though was also a show of what can a quality player do for you.

They studied us very well. I swear I've watched that second goal about 10 times this year.

Very disappointing result, but it was one of those games where you have to put your hand up and admit the opposition was superior to you in every way.

I hope the playing squad and Frank can take some valuable lessons out of the game. Bayern are a good team to model ourselves upon in order for us to improve.

I'm 95% certain the tie is over, and we'll be waiting at least another year to win a last 16 tie.

Unfortunately we have not advanced beyond the last 16 since the 2013/2014 season (Mourinho's first season back in charge of us), so a drought is starting to accumulate akin to Arsenal's drought of not advancing past the last 16 after 2010 despite reaching the knockout stages for seven consecutive years after that.

I must say I'm not suprized that we lost. What suprized me was how much superior they were compared to us. The positive thing is that now we can totally focus on staying among top four. Now the cap between us and the European top teams is huge but I am sure our young team will narrow the cap in the years to come. And it is clear that to reach the absolute top we need quite a few signings in several positions.

Edited by JPH
Typing error

4 hours ago, Jezz said:

Very disappointing result, but it was one of those games where you have to put your hand up and admit the opposition was superior to you in every way.

I hope the playing squad and Frank can take some valuable lessons out of the game. Bayern are a good team to model ourselves upon in order for us to improve.

I'm 95% certain the tie is over, and we'll be waiting at least another year to win a last 16 tie.

Unfortunately we have not advanced beyond the last 16 since the 2013/2014 season (Mourinho's first season back in charge of us), so a drought is starting to accumulate akin to Arsenal's drought of not advancing past the last 16 after 2010 despite reaching the knockout stages for seven consecutive years after that.

An Arsenal drought Jezz? You forget one thing mate, "we're the only London team to win the European cup"....... London's first, London's Finest! Regards  UTC

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

An Arsenal drought Jezz? You forget one thing mate, "we're the only London team to win the European cup"....... London's first, London's Finest! Regards  UTC

Of course. We'll always have that next to our club's name.

Though, I do worry about our inability to progress beyond the last 16 in the last few years and I think this year will be no different barring a Munich miracle. Maybe we were spoilt between 2004-2014 and that this is the new normal.

11 hours ago, forbzy said:

We managed to paper over the cracks with some trophies 

Yep, seven trophies in eight years will paper the buggery out of them pesky cracks.

11 hours ago, Upsetter said:

Fret ye not. Tis but a cunning plan: rope a dope, suck 'em in spit 'em out. They think they've already won the tie, hands down, no contest. But we know better, don't we, boys and girls.

Up at their place we'll muller 'em (no pun). I have absolutely no doubt about it. None whatsoever.*

*Ok, maybe just a tiny bit.

All we have to do is win 3-0 over there with no subs on and take them to penalties.  Then bring on Drogba, Ashley and Lampard near the end of extra time.  Job done.

We could have done with Terry last night as well, mind

Taught a footballing lesson by a far superior side. Everything about them was better than us, from the pressing to way they turned on the ball easily and took our players out of the game, and the way they always had passing options, and obviously the finishing and general ability of the players.

3 of our players at the end of the game were playing in the championship last season, but even the seasoned pros looked panicky every time they got the ball, desperate to get it away to someone else to take responsibility.

The days of us being a powerhouse in Europe and England, reaching CL semis and finals is long gone. I think the stat is we haven't even won a CL knockout game for 6 years. It's time to adjust expectations down. We're just not that good any more. We may get better with a good summer window, but a lot of the players we have in this squad just simply aren't good enough to get us back to that level. I can only name a handful that I would keep if we wanted to seriously start challenging for major honours consistently again.

I do have concerns going forward. You could expect a young, inexperienced side to start iffy and gradually improve, but we seem to be going backwards. Lampard hasn't shown he really has what it takes yet to make tactical changes to win games. And as mentioned previously, a lot of our players just aren't up to the standards we've previously come to expect. Azpilicueta is probably the only defender out of about 8 that is at that level, and he's showing signs of declining lately. Kovacic and Kante are probably the only midfielders we have at that level. With a couple of others like James, Hudson-Odoi and RLC with serious potential. Other than that, I can't see us winning big trophies with any of the others playing a big part.

I don't blame Lampard last night, they were better than us man for man except perhaps Kovacic and it showed.

Remember this lot put 7 past Spurs in the group stage at WHL.

Disappointing we could not at least score yet that is the way it is.

Frank is a rookie manager and we did not have a summer transfer window and we were playing with 32 Higuaín this time last year. 

I think a couple of seasons from now maybe just one or two players from last night will still be in the first team squad. 

Frank is trying to plug the gap with the younger players and I don't think any of the current crop will make it successfully, we are where we are as a number have some strengths which have masked their overall weaknesses. Against top teams that will happen.

Now put it behind us and gets the heads right for Bourneouth as they certainly are not on the level of Bayern, and we should be beating them,

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I don't blame Lampard last night, they were better than us man for man except perhaps Kovacic and it showed.

Remember this lot put 7 past Spurs in the group stage at WHL.

Disappointing we could not at least score yet that is the way it is.

Frank is a rookie manager and we did not have a summer transfer window and we were playing with 32 Higuaín this time last year. 

I think a couple of seasons from now maybe just one or two players from last night will still be in the first team squad. 

Frank is trying to plug the gap with the younger players and I don't think any of the current crop will make it successfully, we are where we are as a number have some strengths which have masked their overall weaknesses. Against top teams that will happen.

Now put it behind us and gets the heads right for Bourneouth as they certainly are not on the level of Bayern, and we should be beating them,

Bit harsh on the youngsters I reckon Strider. Mount, James and Tammy and CHO are all good contenders to make it here. I thought Mount was good last night. If Davies couldn't run the hundred in 10 seconds he might have scored at least one. 

Agree on Frank that he deserves some time, if nothing else to continue to develop thos youngsters and actually buy some players who work in his style.

5 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Bit harsh on the youngsters I reckon Strider. Mount, James and Tammy and CHO are all good contenders to make it here. I thought Mount was good last night. If Davies couldn't run the hundred in 10 seconds he might have scored at least one. 

Agree on Frank that he deserves some time, if nothing else to continue to develop thos youngsters and actually buy some players who work in his style.

Agree I am harsh yet trying to be objective too, we will need to work with what we have this season yet going forward we need better players.

Don't think we will get them in one season either perhaps 2-3 years.

The first half was let's say okay, the second was completely outclassed by Bayern. The quick second goal killed us off and we where all over the place. Clubs at two very different stages, we are in a rebuild and Bayern is an established compact team. We will see a lot of players leave this summer, and probably a few big signings in. Hope we buy smart like with Ziyech, buy players that we need not just because they are superstars. Focus on the league now obviously, the second leg go out do our best but the tie is pretty much good as over.

It has become abundantly clear that our squad is just piss poor and a long way away from challenging in the CL. The defence is absolutely shocking, both Rudiger and Christensen are just not good enough and its time to sell them both. Azpi is way past it, Mount and Barkley were dreadful going forward and Tammy and Willian when they came on weren't much better.

Sad to see the club in this state, but until we get rid of these average players and bring in some talent, we will be stuck with disasterclasses like last night every week. Frank's tactics weren't great, but i dont think many managers will be be able to get much better results with this current pathetic squad.

You would never guess we are having a slightly better season than most of us predicted. Sure it was a bit painful getting overrun like that, but were on a different level to them now and have been for 2-3 years.

We have been going backwards since 2012, with some peaks in between, but generally in decline.

We have bought very few world class players in that time, maybe less than five. Despite money being spent, that has never been the issue. This defence was assembled by four managers plus the club, Benitez got Azpilicueta, Jose- Zouma&Christensen, Conte- Rudiger, Sarri- Emerson&Kepa, and the club provided Frank with Tomori. 

The high turnover of managers and lack of long term vision has helped assemble a very ordinary team of players.

Wow. What to say about last night other than congratulations to Bayern - all you can do is admire them. What a team and performance ::clap2::Based on that, I'd be amazed if they didn't make it to the final and really hope they give Liverpool a sound beating in the process. 

Regarding us, well, if ever there was evidence needed that we are light years away from competing at that level, there it was. So many players just not good enough. So much deadwood or so called 'young' players that are just not going to be good enough. Christensen & Barkley well out of their depth. I suppose that's what happens when you're not able to add to what is essentially a Europa League team playing in the last 16 of the CL.

In my opinion, with everyone fit, we are about 3-4 top class players away from really being able to compete for the league title, and if we want to beat the likes of Bayern et al, maybe even 6-7. It just shows you how poor the standard of our league has been for us to still be sitting in 4th. 

Edited by Elliott

11 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Thought Bayern were just a cut above us in every way. 

Credit where credit is due. They were really, really good. That Davies looks some player. 

Ain't that the truth, far too much navel gazing going on in this forum about last nights defeat. Frank isn't to it, all our players a rubbish, doom and gloom. The facts are simple, we got beat by a much better team that's been built over the past few years. That's it.

29 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ain't that the truth, far too much navel gazing going on in this forum about last nights defeat. Frank isn't to it, all our players a rubbish, doom and gloom. The facts are simple, we got beat by a much better team that's been built over the past few years. That's it.

The knock-out stages of the Champions League were always going to be a stretch for us this season. We did well to qualify from our group and realistically it was always going to be hard to progress much further. As Bayern showed when they mauled Spurs, they are not a team that will approach a game like this with any caution. So there was always a possibility that we could finish on the wrong end of a tonking. Still great experience for many of the squad who hadn't played in the Champions League before. If we stay focused on the league there is every chance we will have another go at this next season, hopefully with a squad strengthened by new personnel. 

Mason Mount is not yet in a level where he can compete with players like Muller, Gnabry, etc in the Champions league,  the occasion yesterday was surely too big for players like Mount, Barkley, Christensen etc. 

my concerns are, firstly,  Willian is I think the most experienced outfield player in that team. What made Lampard bench your best player in a Champions league match against Bayern. I think the decision was simple yet Lampard made a mistake. 

Secondly, this team is a long long way away from being a force in Europe. If Bayern are a force at the moment, this Chelsea team needs at least five more  quality players to be a force in Europe.

7 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

Mason Mount is not yet in a level where he can compete with players like Muller, Gnabry, etc in the Champions league,  the occasion yesterday was surely too big for players like Mount, Barkley, Christensen etc. 

my concerns are, firstly,  Willian is I think the most experienced outfield player in that team. What made Lampard bench your best player in a Champions league match against Bayern. I think the decision was simple yet Lampard made a mistake. 

Secondly, this team is a long long way away from being a force in Europe. If Bayern are a force at the moment, this Chelsea team needs at least five more  quality players to be a force in Europe.

Agreed. One step at a time. We are not even a force in the Premier League yet.

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

Wow. What to say about last night other than congratulations to Bayern - all you can do is admire them. What a team and performance ::clap2::Based on that, I'd be amazed if they didn't make it to the final and really hope they give Liverpool a sound beating in the process. 

Regarding us, well, if ever there was evidence needed that we are light years away from competing at that level, there it was. So many players just not good enough. So much deadwood or so called 'young' players that are just not going to be good enough. Christensen & Barkley well out of their depth. I suppose that's what happens when you're not able to add to what is essentially a Europa League team playing in the last 16 of the CL.

In my opinion, with everyone fit, we are about 3-4 top class players away from really being able to compete for the league title, and if we want to beat the likes of Bayern et al, maybe even 6-7. It just shows you how poor the standard of our league has been for us to still be sitting in 4th. 

wow, what a great write-up. Beautiful. Didn't know there are still some people like me out there. 6-7 players if we want to compete with the likes of Bayern. Well said.