Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

23 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I'm hoping so, but I thought we signed him to fix this clear deffeciency we had last season. Last season we had the 2nd best chances created and possession, even above the title winners. It sounds like I'm being a moaning bastard because we are winning games but I don't want to jump on this Werner bandwagon as soon as results don't go our way. I would rather say flat out now that we have an issue with Werner's finishing while things are still going well. 

He's still a great attacking threat however, I'm getting strong Morata vibes on those sitters. 

How are you getting Morata vibes?

He’s still really effective to the team despite awful misses, that says a lot about the mentality - Misses don’t affect him, he just keeps going. Morata was the complete opposite.

I’m not worried, I blame the misses on him playing as a winger, I think if he was playing central he’d be far a lot more clinical. Unfortunately we don’t have many wingers so we probably have to wait until next season to see Werner starting as striker regularly.

2 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

How are you getting Morata vibes?

But I just explained, even though he's not going into a big sulk like Morata and Torres did, that's a big difference. He's still trying and putting himself about. 

But I'm still concerned in how many chances he keeps missing, you could make a 5 minute compilation of them. I want him to prove me wrong don't get me wrong here, but I won't lie, his lack of finishing really concerns me. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

But I just explained, even though he's not going into a big sulk like Morata and Torres did, that's a big difference. He's still trying and putting himself about. 

But I'm still concerned in how many chances he keeps missing, you could make a 5 minute compilation of them. I want him to prove me wrong don't get me wrong here, but I won't lie, his lack of finishing really concerns me. 

Torres didn't actually miss much when he got a clear chance, his problem was he was so tactically poor he'd go games without getting any chances. I never really worried about him the rare times he had a clean chance (for example imagine Morata at the Nou Camp).

If Torres was genuinely a poor or even an erratic finisher he wouldn't have even got double figures for us.

I tell you, if Abraham missed those chances the reaction would be totally different (see Spurs). I really like Timo as a player but the position he plays has absolutely no bearing on missing chances from 6 yards out and clearing one off the line. He took his assist really well but that finishing was abysmal tonight. I actually thought he looked a bit better when he went wide right tonight. Fortunately we won so in the grand scheme of things the misses don’t mean much but it is a bit of a worry, maybe a break would benefit him.

1 minute ago, Argo said:

Torres didn't actually miss much when he got a clear chance, his problem was he was so tactically poor he'd go games without getting any chances. I never really worried about him the rare times he had a clean chance (for example imagine Morata at the Nou Camp).

If Torres was genuinely a poor or even an erratic finisher he wouldn't have even got double figures for us.

That is true, Torres came here at a piss poor time when we lacked creativity. But even then, Torres wasn't getting himself in the best positions under Mourinho or Rafa (despite his Europa League form). Morata on the other hand, dreadful in front of goal. But those Timo misses are pretty similar, just that Werner gets on with it and picks himself up, he's got the pace to keep charging forward. To make a run like that in the 92nd... Unreal. 

I don’t know about Torres being tactically poor, he was clever with his movement at Liverpool. The partnership between him and Gerrard was unreal, I’d blame the lack of creativity more than Torres himself. I remember one game we played to Torres strengths and look, a hat trick. QPR at home.

41 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I tell you, if Abraham missed those chances the reaction would be totally different (see Spurs). I really like Timo as a player but the position he plays has absolutely no bearing on missing chances from 6 yards out and clearing one off the line. He took his assist really well but that finishing was abysmal tonight. I actually thought he looked a bit better when he went wide right tonight. Fortunately we won so in the grand scheme of things the misses don’t mean much but it is a bit of a worry, maybe a break would benefit him.

The big difference is that Abraham wouldn't be close to half of the chances that lands at the feet of Werner, he lacks the timing and speed. Werner also creates far more chances for himself and others on his own, while Abraham is much more dependant on a killer pass. That's why it becomes alot more frustrating to see Abraham miss his chances.

I think the probelm with his finishes tonight was the he tried to put it through a gap in the keeper so there's always a decent chance of it hitting him, though you can say the keeper did well and at least he hit the target.

I was waiting for him to try something different like hitting it at the far post which is riskier but gives the keeper less of a chance, ironically Tammy did do this and missed lol.

The miss was terrible but I like what he brings to the team. Insane pace and acceleration, good attacking positions. Even if he becomes a right forward or left forward he still adds a lot to the Chelsea attack.

His best position might be as CF but I feel he might pull off the 2009 Barca Pedro role 

Edited by Deino

5 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

I think the probelm with his finishes tonight was the he tried to put it through a gap in the keeper so there's always a decent chance of it hitting him, though you can say the keeper did well and at least he hit the target.

I was waiting for him to try something different like hitting it at the far post which is riskier but gives the keeper less of a chance, ironically Tammy did do this and missed lol.

Credit to Werner for setting Tammy up by using his pace.

Simply put, these are atrocious misses.  Two against Newcastle, Rennes away, and then two today (one off the line). It's only 3 games and goals change everything, but the emerging pattern needs to stop very quickly otherwise he risks following the Torres and Morata path.

I believe in his strong mentality though - doesn't shy away from any of it, and his class to make the second goal against Newcastle and third goal today against Leeds highlight his determination.  Just score Timo - smack it in the back of the net.

I'd play him as striker in the meaningless group game next week , just get his confidence back. Poor misses in recent games, but doesn't look like his confidence is down. He assisted the last goal, a player with no confidence would have mucked that chance up.  He needs goals, and best way to get it is to play as the striker. Yesterday he played at both wings, that's not what we signed him up for.

31 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

I'd play him as striker in the meaningless group game next week , just get his confidence back. Poor misses in recent games, but doesn't look like his confidence is down. He assisted the last goal, a player with no confidence would have mucked that chance up.  He needs goals, and best way to get it is to play as the striker. Yesterday he played at both wings, that's not what we signed him up for.

Again, I've been saying ever since we were first linked with him, this is how he plays. This isn't confidence, he is just a streaky finisher and volume shooter. He scores lots and misses lots. 

I agree we didn't buy him to play on the wings, but he should have scored at least two easy goals by my count as it was. Playing centrally might help him have more chances but it won't improve his finishing.

If we were expecting Sergio Aguero then we were mistaken. Not to say he still isn't a very valuable player, but he isn't the clinical striker who scores every half chance. 

6 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I don’t know about Torres being tactically poor, he was clever with his movement at Liverpool. The partnership between him and Gerrard was unreal, I’d blame the lack of creativity more than Torres himself. I remember one game we played to Torres strengths and look, a hat trick. QPR at home.

Torres' main attribute in his prime was acceleration. If you look at his goals for Liverpool very few were down to particular clever movement and the majority were down to using that acceleration of his to get that crucial yard on a defender, case in point his debut goal against us where he was 1 on 1 with Ben Haim and he basically knocked the ball forward and let his acceleration do the rest.

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Again, I've been saying ever since we were first linked with him, this is how he plays. This isn't confidence, he is just a streaky finisher and volume shooter. He scores lots and misses lots. 

I agree we didn't buy him to play on the wings, but he should have scored at least two easy goals by my count as it was. Playing centrally might help him have more chances but it won't improve his finishing.

If we were expecting Sergio Aguero then we were mistaken. Not to say he still isn't a very valuable player, but he isn't the clinical striker who scores every half chance. 

In that case we should be looking for another striker soon unless Tammy develops to be a clinical striker (which doesn't seem to be happening at the moment).  Missing so many easy chances will bite us in tight games. The first miss was inexcusable. 

Timo had a poor game but made up for it in the 92nd minute. He doesn’t stop running all game then that burst at the end and the assist was unbelievable. His commitment and workrate is amongst the best I’ve seen. He is definitely lacking confidence in front of goal at the moment but he doesn’t sulk and he runs his arse off for the team. 

Edited by MayosNoun!

1 hour ago, MayosNoun! said:

Timo had a poor game but made up for it in the 92nd minute. He doesn’t stop running all game then that burst at the end and the assist was unbelievable. His commitment and workrate is amongst the best I’ve seen. He is definitely lacking confidence in front of goal at the moment but he doesn’t sulk and he runs his arse off for the team. 

He wasn't poor though, he just wasn't clinical enough with his chances.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

In that case we should be looking for another striker soon unless Tammy develops to be a clinical striker (which doesn't seem to be happening at the moment).  Missing so many easy chances will bite us in tight games. The first miss was inexcusable. 

As I said at the time it was the biggest reason not to buy him for the price.

The miss from the corner was the worst I've seen since Kalou missed from virtually in the goal in the FA Cup final against Portsmouth. 

That said I think he has added to our attack significantly. There isn't another player in the team who could have made the run from that Kovacic ball at the end. He is just so quick it gives us an edge on the counter in those tight games with opponents pushing.

I think it depends on how the season goes as to whether we chase Haaland or not. If we're in range of a CL or PL title next season I wouldn't be surprised to see us chase him.

Edited by Spiller86

Werner reminds me a little bit of Salah, good pace with good attacking instinct and both seem to need a number of chance before they score.

Yesterday we should have had more, the miss from Giroud's effort was unfortunate.

A couple of shots miscued and the one-on-one was a decent effort aimed to go through Meslier's legs, yet he read it. 

His assist showed intelligence as well as skill, to cross for Pulisic rather than taking an angled shot himself.