Jump to content

Chelsea v Sevilla (CL) Tue 20th Oct 2020 20:00 GMT


coco

Recommended Posts



Based on Frank's comments post-match yesterday it sounds like Mendy could be out for another week or 2 :(. I hope he is back for Man U next week at least. If he is unavailable I would definitely start Willy. Yes he is is also capable of errors but Kepa should be nowhere near the starting 11 at the moment.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I would assume everyone bar Mendy is fit.

If so I would favour a return to a 4-3-3 with the anchor (Kante) told to sit his a$$ in front of the defensive and not go into the opposition half.

 

Kepa

 

James

Silva

Zouma

Chilwell

 

Kante

Jorginho 

Havertz

 

Zyiech

Werner

Pulisic

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd throw Ziyech in, it's an European, the tempo and style will suit him a lot better. He played in the International week, there's no point holding him back. More concerned about Silva, not sure last weekend was just an one off, or he's only fit for 1 game a week. Is it too late to register Cech as our GK? I'm sure he can't do worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Champions League is back! Easily the best thing in football. I love the games. It is whole different football and even without crowds the atmosphere is a bit different. Players really love the competition and it shows in the football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sevilla are quite a lot further along in their development than we are, although they did lose 1-0 to recent upstarts Granada at the weekend. If we start a similar system to the weekend, I fully expect us to lose this game. 

Assuming Mendy is still not available, it should be this:

 

-----------------------------Caballero

Azpilicueta-----------Silva--------------Zouma----------Chilwell

-------------------------------Kanté

--------------------Havertz------------Mount

---------Ziyech------------------------------Hudson-Odoi

-----------------------------Werner

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



                     Willy

James - Silva - Zouma - Azpi

    Kante - Jorginho - Kova

    CHO - Tammy - Pulisic

I think a lot of our players looked leggy in the 2nd half against Southampton and a lot of that is due to excessive football in a short period of time and the recent travel due to the International break. Chilwell has just got back from injury so therefore may be unwise getting him to play 2 games in a short space of time and potentially see him miss major part of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need a win here to get us in the right mid set I wouldn’t rest anyone except maybe ziyech and give him some minutes towards the  end, I think Pulisic looked further ahead than him judging by Saturday and can hopefully start 

willy

azpi 

silva 

Zouma 

chilwell 

kante 

Jorginho 

havertz 

Mount 

werner

pulasic 

 

Edited by SFL82
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Imran_CFC said:

                     Willy

James - Silva - Zouma - Azpi

    Kante - Jorginho - Kova

    CHO - Tammy - Pulisic

I think a lot of our players looked leggy in the 2nd half against Southampton and a lot of that is due to excessive football in a short period of time and the recent travel due to the International break. Chilwell has just got back from injury so therefore may be unwise getting him to play 2 games in a short space of time and potentially see him miss major part of the season.

Not sure what the clubs view on the CL is this year ? Make the quarters? Anything more is unlikely IMO.

Personally I think Frank needs to go with his strongest starting 11 for the manc game on Saturday on Tuesday night v Seville  - not because the CL means much to me this season, it’s more that we need a settled starting 11 who play regularly, get comfortable with each other and get used to winning !!!!!

Don’t know if Mendy is available but if he is then he plays.

(For the record, I wrote the above in bold italics earlier in this thread.)

It’s not that I disagree with your team selection, although I do, it’s more that I really disagree with your assertion of excessive football is in play here ?

FL talks about the lack of a pre-season, the shortage of real game time, shortage of minutes in the legs, shortage of proper competitive football and was positively encouraging our players to go and the international managers to pick and play our players so that they would benefit from competitive football - hate international football but agree with the benefits they offer this time around.

I’m not a sports scientist nor a medical man and I don’t really think I can properly claim to a true member of the 21st century with all the stats, graphs, facts and figures that are available meaning very little to me eg. Liverpool 70% possession v Aston Villa and lose 7-2 and VVD was playing btw ?

I don’t know if you know something that I don’t with regards to who is available , hence your selection, but for me you pick your strongest available 11 for the game in question.

We need to get the core 11 playing regularly, almost knowing that they are going to be picked, we need to get the practice of the 11 playing together regularly, developing a trust, confidence and understanding of each other.

Playing Saturday lunchtime at home, Tuesday evening at home and away in Manchester on Saturday evening isn’t too much for these guys and especially at this stage of the season.

We need the 11 who will play the mancs on Saturday to start tomorrow night, the result against Seville is important and giving a good account of ourselves is vital, but this is really about building confidence - Provided that they are available you CANNOT NOT pick Chilwell, Ziyech. Havertz. Werner - save your team for Krasnodar IMO.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Not sure what the clubs view on the CL is this year ? Make the quarters? Anything more is unlikely IMO.

Personally I think Frank needs to go with his strongest starting 11 for the manc game on Saturday on Tuesday night v Seville  - not because the CL means much to me this season, it’s more that we need a settled starting 11 who play regularly, get comfortable with each other and get used to winning !!!!!

Don’t know if Mendy is available but if he is then he plays.

(For the record, I wrote the above in bold italics earlier in this thread.)

It’s not that I disagree with your team selection, although I do, it’s more that I really disagree with your assertion of excessive football is in play here ?

FL talks about the lack of a pre-season, the shortage of real game time, shortage of minutes in the legs, shortage of proper competitive football and was positively encouraging our players to go and the international managers to pick and play our players so that they would benefit from competitive football - hate international football but agree with the benefits they offer this time around.

I’m not a sports scientist nor a medical man and I don’t really think I can properly claim to a true member of the 21st century with all the stats, graphs, facts and figures that are available meaning very little to me eg. Liverpool 70% possession v Aston Villa and lose 7-2 and VVD was playing btw ?

I don’t know if you know something that I don’t with regards to who is available , hence your selection, but for me you pick your strongest available 11 for the game in question.

We need to get the core 11 playing regularly, almost knowing that they are going to be picked, we need to get the practice of the 11 playing together regularly, developing a trust, confidence and understanding of each other.

Playing Saturday lunchtime at home, Tuesday evening at home and away in Manchester on Saturday evening isn’t too much for these guys and especially at this stage of the season.

We need the 11 who will play the mancs on Saturday to start tomorrow night, the result against Seville is important and giving a good account of ourselves is vital, but this is really about building confidence - Provided that they are available you CANNOT NOT pick Chilwell, Ziyech. Havertz. Werner - save your team for Krasnodar IMO.
 

 

I agree with what you've stated and it makes sense when it comes to building a team based upon a settled starting 11 however my view came from the performance in the 2nd half against Southampton because quite a few appeared highly fatigued. I certainly think that the back 4 and the midfield personnel need to be maintained hence I put in the same back 3 with only Chilwell missing out and this is mainly due to his return from injury. I personally feel that Chilwell is one of our most important players in the squad and as he is coming back from a lengthy injury he may not be fit enough for 3 competitive games in the space of a week.

I think once we have a squad which is fully fit in terms of physical and match fitness we may see a more settled first 11 with a couple of changes per game but at this early part of the season it is vital we don't overplay certain important members of the squad and lose them for lengthy periods for the remainder of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I agree with what you've stated and it makes sense when it comes to building a team based upon a settled starting 11. however my view came from the performance in the 2nd half against Southampton because quite a few appeared highly fatigued. I certainly think that the back 4 and the midfield personnel need to be maintained hence I put in the same back 3 with only Chilwell missing out and this is mainly due to his return from injury. I personally feel that Chilwell is one of our most important players in the squad and as he is coming back from a lengthy injury he may not be fit enough for 3 competitive games in the space of a week.

I think once we have a squad which is fully fit in terms of physical and match fitness we may see a more settled first 11 with a couple of changes per game but at this early part of the season it is vital we don't overplay certain important members of the squad and lose them for lengthy periods for the remainder of the season.

I didn’t see the game live so it’s really difficult to make judgements from edited highlights, so I don’t know about fatigued, but pissed off, fed up, disappointed, annoyed, angry and a sense of expectation of an inevitability Southampton equaliser ( all the things us fans were feeling ) may have had something to do with their heavy legs and hearts !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, axman2526 said:

So I would assume everyone bar Mendy is fit.

If so I would favour a return to a 4-3-3 with the anchor (Kante) told to sit his a$$ in front of the defensive and not go into the opposition half.

 

Kepa

 

James

Silva

Zouma

Chilwell

 

Kante

Jorginho 

Havertz

 

Zyiech

Werner

Pulisic

 

 

Hold up, WAIT....where's Mount?

I actually prefer Mount over Jorgi in the middle 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I didn’t see the game live so it’s really difficult to make judgements from edited highlights, so I don’t know about fatigued, but pissed off, fed up, disappointed, annoyed, angry and a sense of expectation of an inevitability Southampton equaliser ( all the things us fans were feeling ) may have had something to do with their heavy legs and hearts !!!!

From watching the game it was fairly clear that the difference between the 2 teams in the 2nd half was fitness levels

I seriously believe had we played Southampton without the International break we dominate the whole game and win comfortably unfortunately that wasn't the case. Werner & Kai played a high intensity game against Switzerland, Mount played against Denmark in an England team which played major part of the game with 10 men. I was disappointed & surprised Lampard didnt make changes earlier in the 2nd half it was very unlampard like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

---------------------Mendy/Willy-----------------------------

----------------Azpi------Silva-------Zouma-----------------

James-----------Kovacic------Jorginho--------------Chilwell

----------Havertz-------------------------Pulisic---------------

-----------------------Werner----------------------------------

Link to comment
Share on other sites



2 hours ago, reparto corse said:

---------------------Mendy/Willy-----------------------------

----------------Azpi------Silva-------Zouma-----------------

James-----------Kovacic------Jorginho--------------Chilwell

----------Havertz-------------------------Pulisic---------------

-----------------------Werner----------------------------------

 

I like this, but where is MOUNT? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rtwelch said:

I really hope we don't start Mendy. We have a tendency of rushing players and aggravating the injury (Pulisic and Kante) . With a calamity like Kepa in goal I would prefer we let Mendy fully recover and resume his Chelsea career on the weekend

Just my 2 cents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This team have serious European pedigree albeit mainly in the lesser competition. They have lost a couple and added an ageing Ratavich from Barca and have Jesus Navas still going strong. Last year Valencia mugged us at the Bridge a game that I recall was pretty even. I’ll hold on my prediction until I see the team sheets. But whomever plays this Sevilla  team should not be underestimated, both teams tipped to make the KOs so I’d anticipate a tight game where either team cannot afford to make a mistake tomorrow that gives away a goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



This can go either way. Selville is operating at the level we are. A possession based side. We should field a counter attacking side. Pulisic and CHO on the wings. Kante, Kovacic and Mount in 3 man midfield. Werner in front. Azpilicueta, Silva, Zouma and Chilwell at back. Hopefully Mendy but if he is unavailable Caballero. 

Second half we cab bring on Havertz and Ziyech if needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites




Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
Please Sign In or Sign Up