Tammy Abraham

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, Slojo said:

I think that's very harsh, I would say about 13 Premier League clubs at the very least would snap him up. He had a great goal record for Villa and they wanted to keep him after promotion. They would've done aswell if it wasn't for our transfer ban situation. 

But Tammy was exceptional last season, he really delivered in the goal department for the first 6 months until he got injured, that can't be forgotten. Also this season, he's still our top scorer despite some sh*te performances, got to give credit where it's due. 

He scores against the teams I expect him to, the teams that are championship level in reality.

He doesn’t do nearly enough to occupy defenders, they have an easy day against him.

Has the touch of a trampoline when the balls played up to him, or falls over himself!

If we had paid for him, he would get abuse week in week out, being an academy player shouldn’t give him the graces he’s had for so long.

26 minutes ago, Wearyourcolours said:

He scores against the teams I expect him to, the teams that are championship level in reality.

He doesn’t do nearly enough to occupy defenders, they have an easy day against him.

Has the touch of a trampoline when the balls played up to him, or falls over himself!

If we had paid for him, he would get abuse week in week out, being an academy player shouldn’t give him the graces he’s had for so long.

Hard to disagree with that. He still has time on his side as he is still only 23, but he needs to start improving a lot of areas of his game. Be better in the air, be more of a problem for defenders, hold the ball up better and to stay on his feet more and stop the Bambi impersonations. I do like him but when I compare him to Calvert-Lewin, he's nowhere near as good and unless he's careful will be joining Dominic Solanke in the Championship.

Edited by Nibs

17 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Hard to disagree with that. He still has time on his side as he is still only 23, but he needs to start improving a lot of areas of his game. Be better in the air, be more of a problem for defenders, hold the ball up better and to stay on his feet more and stop the Bambi impersonations. I do like him but when I compare him to Calvert-Lewin, he's nowhere near as good and unless he's careful will be joining Dominic Solanke in the Championship.

You disagree with me, but then tell me he needs to improve all the things I said & added a couple of others as well.

You're basically saying, if he becomes a good player then he might become a good player.

31 minutes ago, Wearyourcolours said:

You disagree with me, but then tell me he needs to improve all the things I said & added a couple of others as well.

You're basically saying, if he becomes a good player then he might become a good player.

I think at @Nibs was agreeing with you , if you read it back. 'hard to disagree with that'

1 hour ago, Wearyourcolours said:

Try reading again!!

I think saying he’s championship level striker is ridiculous. If he’s good enough to start ahead of Giroud, what does that make Giroud? A league one striker?

Hes more than good enough for premier league, just not good enough for a title challenging team. I’d still keep him as a back up though, I don’t think he’ll accept that.

Isn't he like 23 that's still young. I can understand being concerned about game time if we did sign a new striker. But, surely he understands at a club competing for titles we have to have not only have healthy competition but elite as well. 

I'm a big fan of Tammy despite what some people think of him, the bambi on ice comments etc. Do I think he is champions league or prem winning level? Not really but not many strikers are at 23. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him leave but I would rather he stay and fight for his place.

Comments about Tammy being Championship striker is a bit disrespectful, IMHO. He's neither great on the ball, or off the ball; but there's one thing he seems to do pretty well and that is score goals.

However, I don't think he's ready to be the leading man for Chelsea. Can you imagine him leading the line for City, Liverpool, or ManU? Not a chance. But he's still young, plenty of time to learn and grow; maybe one day he'll turn into a Benzema or Cavani, etc..

To consistently fight for titles, Chelsea needs a much better striker/CF. And honestly, I am not sure Haaland is that striker. Sure, he score loads of goals in the Bundesliga; but so did Timo and Kai.

I’m always mixed about Tammy. I think he’s a decent premiership CF who will have a long career scoring goals, hopefully for Chelsea. His goal scoring stats stack up nicely. I just don’t think he strikes fear into defences and think he can get bullied.

My one big gripe is his heading ability. Some people are just fabulous headers of the ball and although people may disagree I don’t think it can be trained into someone. Training may improve him but IMO will not make him great header of the ball.

Personally I like a CF who is strong in the air.

Personally think Tammy should be our plan B when Giroud runs out of steam.

I think Tammy is improving a small amount with his head, looked like he was trying to head crosses properly and failing last time out. Trying can reap benefits if the defender misjudges yet agree for a club of our standard more is needed. Hence bring him on from the bench.

I think we will stick with Werner a while longer as his work rate is so high.

9 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

It might become interesting at season's end should we buy another striker and Tammy's time on the pitch is going to be low, then we will see who comes in for him.

That will give a guide as to how objectively other clubs see his standard.

No matter who we buy as a centre forward we seemingly always turn them into a turd sooner or later the exceptions being Drogba and Costa..

7 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

No matter who we buy as a centre forward we seemingly always turn them into a turd sooner or later the exceptions being Drogba and Costa..

Lampard supplied Drogba and Cesc found Costa.

It is not rocket science, who is supplying Werner or Giround, think we are now mainly trying diagonal crosses from our CBs.

15 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Isn't he like 23 that's still young. I can understand being concerned about game time if we did sign a new striker. But, surely he understands at a club competing for titles we have to have not only have healthy competition but elite as well. 

I'm a big fan of Tammy despite what some people think of him, the bambi on ice comments etc. Do I think he is champions league or prem winning level? Not really but not many strikers are at 23. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him leave but I would rather he stay and fight for his place.

I understand him tbh. If we sign Haaland who is 3 years younger than him, he will be a back up to a striker who is already one of the best CF on the planet and only getting better. He will get game time, but what do you do? Accept being a back up player at a club or go elsewhere to prove you can play regularly score goals. I remember Lukaku at a similar age and when he did not want to play back up/rotation and chose to go out on loan to Everton, people criticized him and look where he is now? Arguably one of the best CF on the planet. Abraham has flaws, but he scores goals. I am pretty sure if he was leading the line for us regularly in the league, he could get around 20 goals or so. 

Like you said, I am a big fan of him also however I understand the delay in him not wanting to commit to signing a contract right now.

16 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Tammy is a good back up striker and that's it, he will never be top drawer. He is a good lad but to play at the highest level and be consistent you need something more.

I suspect you are right on that yet think we will need to play him more throughout this season due to lack of better players or fatigue of other players and think he will score too. He can finish some moves and has a knack of robbing possession and scoring.  Longer term I doubt his ability to shine unless from the bench.

18 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Tammy is a good back up striker and that's it, he will never be top drawer. He is a good lad but to play at the highest level and be consistent you need something more.

Nope,Tammy is good striker that can do everything with clear upside. Like todays game, Tammy is the perfect striker

Tammy as a back up is fine. Tammy as a first choice number 9 for a team striving to get to the summit is not.

I would guess that his own ambition will dictate his future rather than us. If he is happy to hang about as a back up/cup team/any game against Norwich striker, then assume we would keep him. 

The different benchmarks for players by fans is quite astounding for me. Tammy is 23 years old and gets called a championship striker after coming through out academy for nothing.

Werner is a 24 year old we spent tens of millions on and it’s the rest of the teams fault that he’s not scoring and not his inability to adapt to deep defences and a more physical league.

This isn’t a slight on Timo, more just pointing out how the academy players have to perform at a higher level than the “superstars” just to be acknowledge as being worthy Chelsea players.

24 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The different benchmarks for players by fans is quite astounding for me. Tammy is 23 years old and gets called a championship striker after coming through out academy for nothing.

Werner is a 24 year old we spent tens of millions on and it’s the rest of the teams fault that he’s not scoring and not his inability to adapt to deep defences and a more physical league.

This isn’t a slight on Timo, more just pointing out how the academy players have to perform at a higher level than the “superstars” just to be acknowledge as being worthy Chelsea players.

I actually think the opposite, just shows how widely opinions vary.

Funny thing is Gabriel Jesus is also 23, been at City since he was 18, seeing quality pitch time and has been worse than Tammy output wise. Pep isn’t giving up on him and neither should we give up on Tammy. He has been improving his all round gameplay, and I reckon at 24-25 we will have a clearer idea of where he is.

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Mount vs Havertz is even better case. Mount has outplayed Havertz as cm,winger, am even dm yet people said we should play Havertz more and Mount only play because he is Lampard son.

On Werner and Havertz. I feel like people here think that they are somekind of superstar or wc player. My opiniom they are not even close,our last two wc attacker are imo hazard and costa. 

Edited by Bob stark

Guest Sindre
3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Aren't people sick and tired of Werner though? I know I am.

Neither he or Abraham have been anywhere near good enough is my verdict.