Barkley

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 minute ago, Van Butsen said:

I'm pointing out that it's a very dated thought to think he's been signed for one position and one position only.  Of course they'll have a discussion about his role in the squad, but coaches don't shoe horn players into positions and leave it at that.  He plays for the club and Conte might suggest after a few weeks that he move into a Fabregas style role or perhaps even a Pedro style role but that certainly won't be in concrete and he certainly hasn't been signed to be confined. 

His an attacking midfielder just like Pedro, his not going to be the next Fabregas. Its the normal thing in football, im guessing some fans thought Baka could be a right winger then? Barkley won't play one position but i will shocked to see him in a midfield 2.

2 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

We have only really produced John Terry that's went to the top in the past 10-15 years.

During the home grown stuff we have guys like Chabolah and co moving for decent money.

Our youth quality has significantly increased since those times but of course so has our ambitions and standards so it's hard to get these boys into our side when the fans basically demand a world class player in every position.

I'm talking about English Football in general.
My main concern with Barkley is that RLC won't get a game. 

3 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

Just frustrating that it's clear from what Conte has said in his press conference Barkley isn't a player he asked for. Could we be shocked if at the end of the season he wants to leave? 

In regards to actually getting Barkley. Are we going to get Ross "Willian" Barkley who makes the wrong decisions in the final third or Ross "Hazard" Barkley who makes the right ones?

He did seem to make that point pretty obvious.

3 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

I'm talking about English Football in general.
My main concern with Barkley is that RLC won't get a game. 

He wasn't getting a game anyway that's why he went on loan.

Is RLC better? Is he about the same? it's all opinion. Barkley has more expierence in every aspect but RLC is one of our own who has talent that is clear to see. It's really down to the manager who he thinks is the better fit.

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

I can see Sanchez going for not much more than Barkley, the big difference is Sanchez will be probably triple on what Barkley is with an insane amount of agent fees on top.

I can't see Arsenal accepting a 15 million bid from us though. I'd argue it would make more sense for them to allow him to leave on a free to Spain at the end of the season than to sell him to one of their closest premiership rivals on the cheap. I do think he would be a perfect signing for us so I'd love to be wrong.

“Sky finally catching up and report that Ross Barkley medical has been completed, fee agreed, should be a Chelsea player today.” - Simon Phillips 

Someone post the It’s Happening GIF.  

Edited by JM7

Odd signing when fit he's got a lot of talent but hasn't fulfilled it yet, not sure where he fits in to be honest he's only really been impressive when played in the no.10 role but who knows Conte could turn him into a world class box to box midfielder, I mean look what he did to Moses.

Frustrating as it clearly is a Board signing rather than who Antonio wants but at 24 years old he has a resale value if it doesn't work out.

At the money we can't be bitten unless we've handed him a huge wage and contract to help sweeten the deal. We are short on Home Grown talent so he ticks the box and he has shown some ability in the past though he can be a little hit and miss. One question though does beg answering, we know that both Conte and Mourinho in the past have intimated that they don't make the final decision on signings and Emenalo has now left, who exactly is making the call as to who to sign and who not at present? 

Even when the move apparently broke down at the end of the last transfer window, i always said we would still end up signing him.

I'm sticking to what i originally thought. We made a bid, Everton accepted the bid which gave the club the opportunity to talk to Barkley, we realised Barkley wouldn't be able to play until January, we then decided to wait until January and get him on a cheaper deal. I said this back in September and i'm sticking by it now.

3 minutes ago, charierre said:

At the money we can't be bitten unless we've handed him a huge wage and contract to help sweeten the deal. We are short on Home Grown talent so he ticks the box and he has shown some ability in the past though he can be a little hit and miss. One question though does beg answering, we know that both Conte and Mourinho in the past have intimated that they don't make the final decision on signings and Emenalo has now left, who exactly is making the call as to who to sign and who not at present? 

Good question.

(The chief scout who was reportedly promoted to Emanolo's position? Ie. Just continuing pursuing Emanolo's targets for the time being. Maybe seen as a sensible one financially?)

11 minutes ago, acidicleo said:

Anyway 15 m for an english player with experience is good from the pure business point of view.. we can easily make profit on him..

but this doesn't improve football side of things..

It might do. We need a midfielder that can score goals, Barkley is certainly capable of that. Unlike the others, he won't be hesitant to take a shot from range now and again either.

Edited by Scott Harris

16 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Even when the move apparently broke down at the end of the last transfer window, i always said we would still end up signing him.

I'm sticking to what i originally thought. We made a bid, Everton accepted the bid which gave the club the opportunity to talk to Barkley, we realised Barkley wouldn't be able to play until January, we then decided to wait until January and get him on a cheaper deal. I said this back in September and i'm sticking by it now.

For you, sir.

plate-of-ginger-and-cocoa-nib-biscuits.jpg

(:p .... makes good sense, tbh)

Edited by Sun zhi

It's quite funny reading the Everton fans reaction to this. They are pretty pissed that they went from getting £35m to £15m in only a few months. I have seen words like "traitor" and "a rat" :biggrin:

It's ok Everton, you can have him back in 10 years time and you can fall in love with him all over again like you have with Rooney :Troll_Face: