Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma

Mixed feelings about CHO. Before seeing much of him I heard so much in the forum about him I think I expected him to set the world alight. Initially I was very unimpressed and thought this guy is going nowhere. 
I think Sarri took a lot of his attacking flair away. I young guy like that should be fearless but the more minutes he played under Sarri the more negative he became and kept turning back hitting safe square balls afraid of having a go and losing procession.

Injury obviously set him back and then when TT played him I was impressed with much of his play and thought he’s going to make it. Then nothing.

I think he has a good brain, control and vision to play top football but something just needs to kick in. Looking at clips of his youth football he was a great goal scorer who could smash the ball into the corner with confidence.

He’s only 20 and way to young to write off, although like many I have reservations if he will succeed here. I hope he can get a good loan and lots of playing time and prove that he can be that star he promised to be at 17.

16 hours ago, ducavis said:

Missed the bus with that one; this season was the perfect opportunity for a 2year loan. We send him out on a 2year loan, he will run out the last year of his contract. 

Selling to Dortmund at a low fee with a buyback clause is perfect, especially if Hakimi is coming in.

Good suggestion. Sale with buyback. 

14 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

We are paying massive wages for not much in return in my view.

Yes he's young but there's a heap of players in and around his age in the EPL alone who are performing better. 

Don't see it with him at all. 

The wages are a result of Bayern’s interest in him, that is how things work. 

18 hours ago, ducavis said:

Missed the bus with that one; this season was the perfect opportunity for a 2year loan. We send him out on a 2year loan, he will run out the last year of his contract. 

Selling to Dortmund at a low fee with a buyback clause is perfect, especially if Hakimi is coming in.

CHO´s wages are likely too inflated for Dortmund due to the the interest of Bayern Munich, therefore it´s probably Bayern Munich again.

Unless you find a model, where Chelsea subsidize some of CHO´s Dortmund wages as part of a Haaland deal. In that case CHO + Abraham as dealmakers for Haaland makes sense for all parties involved.

20 hours ago, ashwin said:

He has made a couple of incisive and important passes recently leading to people claiming he has 'extra'ordinary vision. But how many times has he not seen a run and passed the ball sideways or just along the channel. For someone who crosses the ball in so much (and has featured so often against not-so-good defenses), his assist tally is poor.

That is simply not true, all the underlying metrics have him in or around the top when it comes to key passes, dribbles etc when matched up against other players his age.

For example that 2-2 vs Arsenal that you're holding against him he created about 6 clear chances on the night.

• 1 month later...

He’s going to be playing for Ghana now instead of England.

Have to say I’m really disappointed, I think it says a lot about his ambition. Rather be a star player for Ghana than compete for a place against the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Sterling etc.

He grew up in Chelsea academy and spent most of his life in England. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him sold this summer or next year, I just get the feeling he can’t be bothered to be fighting for a first team spot.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

Have to say I’m really disappointed, I think it says a lot about his ambition. Rather be a star player for Ghana than compete for a place against the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Sterling etc.

He grew up in Chelsea academy and spent most of his life in England. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him sold this summer or next year, I just get the feeling he can’t be bothered to be fighting for a first team spot.

I mean he's not going to get a place in England's side any time soon if we're honest. He wants to play football, so why not switch if he can. Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Sancho, Mount, and at the moment he isn't better than any of them. 

Edited by enigma

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

This is all a very wild take, don’t even know where to start.

20 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I’m beginning to see reports that Hudson Odoi isn’t part of Tuchel’s plans for the season.

If Sky is too be believed he was just offered to Dortmund as well in a cash + CHO/Tammy offer for Haaland.

53 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I’m beginning to see reports that Hudson Odoi isn’t part of Tuchel’s plans for the season.

Excellent, cant be having these young english academy graduates taking up squad places that the current shiney overpriced foreign import needs to take.

So to keep count so far these have left the club/look like leaving: -

Marc Guehi

CHO

Abraham

Gilmour

With an attempt to bring in a Right back to displace Reece James its all looking back to normal for Chelsea after that one wild season we had where we actually looked like we were going to use the young academy players. But we won the Champions League so its all ok, right?

Edited by dkw

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

Wouldn’t read too much into it, there is a recent preseason training video online of Tammy, CHO and some other player with Tuchel and his training staff. Tuchel is ribbing him saying “3 players and 13 coaches, there is nowhere for Callum to hide..”

Edited by ducavis

I'm actually happy that CHO decided to represent Ghana. I can see why that's frustrating for some, but I see it as someone who's proud of his heritage (he did visit Ghana this off-season for the 1st time in a decade) and is taking the hard route towards international glory. I was always worried that he was just a front runner but to me this can also be seen as  him taking full responsibility on improving Ghanaian football and the community as a whole. If that's his reason, then we should all be happy.

I was also reading his end of term report on the 5th stand app, TT played him on 13 out of 19 games in the PL so he's obviously someone Tuchel trusts (albeit more for the supersub role), otherwise he would just be rotting on the bench like Tammy.

I think Reece establishing himself at RCB can make Callum's minutes increase at RWB and if he's finally fully fit then we can have something pretty good going on that right side. I expect him to stay for another year and then we'll finally have to make a definitive decision on him. 

I wish CHO didn't deal his things with his family. May sound harsh but a professional would probably be a better advisor than dad. 

This type of go left, go right, go up, go down. Play for England, play for Ghana, go to Germany stay at Chelsea. May just be all an image made by media of him but I am not feeling the CHO family is doing sensible choices all the time. They may value to hold all the cards themselves and that is fine but I feel Chelsea could offer him a good path to the heights he is probably destined for. Maybe a drop of patience would suffice. 

Dortmund is a good pathway as we have seen. Their business model is to groom young talent and sell them on with a hefty win. Pulisic, Sancho, Bellingham and Haaland all go into that category... Maybe CHO goes there.. 

22 hours ago, dkw said:

With an attempt to bring in a Right back to displace Reece James its all looking back to normal for Chelsea after that one wild season we had where we actually looked like we were going to use the young academy players. But we won the Champions League so its all ok, right?

We all know about the ambitions of this club. So to establish yourself as a starter at this club is extremely hard.
We could of course go down the route of playing Guehi, Gilmour, CHO, Abraham, Mount, James and so on at all times but it would be at the expense of titles and that's not what the club is after.

Go back a few years and people thought Nathan Ake and Nat Chalobah was the answer to our woes but looking back you realize they weren't quite good enough for us despite being good footballers in their own right.

We have a great academy that produce terrific footballers but it's only the extraordinary good ones that will make it as a starter here. Most others will carve out great careers for themselves at other clubs.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

We all know about the ambitions of this club. So to establish yourself as a starter at this club is extremely hard.
We could of course go down the route of playing Guehi, Gilmour, CHO, Abraham, Mount, James and so on at all times but it would be at the expense of titles and that's not what the club is after.

Go back a few years and people thought Nathan Ake and Nat Chalobah was the answer to our woes but looking back you realize they weren't quite good enough for us despite being good footballers in their own right.

We have a great academy that produce terrific footballers but it's only the extraordinary good ones that will make it as a starter here. Most others will carve out great careers for themselves at other clubs.

I remember aswell didierforever fuming on here because we let Ake go and went after "flavour of the month" VVD. 

Good times!

Edited by Argo

51 minutes ago, Argo said:

I remember aswell didierforever fuming on here because we let Ake go and went after "flavour of the month" VVD. 

Good times!

There are fans that just seem to want squads filled with academy players. It doesnt matter if we win trophies, it doesnt matter if we play good football, some fans just want it to be like it was in the 70's. Im 35, and i only remember Chelsea buying players from all over the world, even pre roman, there was very few academy players coming through regularly even then.

Now we have just won a champions league final with 3 youth players playing massive roles in the final, even the fabled class of 92, only had 4. 

Im really not sure what fans have to complain about. We are a massive club, that sign big name players for lots of money, if we can bring through a couple of youth players every 5 or 6 years then great, but its not what the club have been focused on for the last 25 odd years. 

5 minutes ago, big blue said:

Now we have just won a champions league final with 3 youth players playing massive roles in the final, even the fabled class of 92, only had 4. 

And the ironic thing is, 1 of those 3 were half way out the door before Tuchel took over and funnily enough barely an eyelid was batted.

7 hours ago, evissy said:

I wish CHO didn't deal his things with his family. May sound harsh but a professional would probably be a better advisor than dad. 

This type of go left, go right, go up, go down. Play for England, play for Ghana, go to Germany stay at Chelsea. May just be all an image made by media of him but I am not feeling the CHO family is doing sensible choices all the time. They may value to hold all the cards themselves and that is fine but I feel Chelsea could offer him a good path to the heights he is probably destined for. Maybe a drop of patience would suffice. 

Dortmund is a good pathway as we have seen. Their business model is to groom young talent and sell them on with a hefty win. Pulisic, Sancho, Bellingham and Haaland all go into that category... Maybe CHO goes there.. 

Think the Ghana situation is just a rumour peddled by the press because he was out there this summer. As for his management; I am not really sure it’s a bad call when you compare his situation with Musiala. You could actually argue in hindsight signing the fat contract with us was a bad decision. If he had rejected our offer he could have have either ended up with Bayern who have a clear path for talent development, or some other team will give him ample time to work on his flaws as they have invested money in him.

Personally feel if we paid a fee for him like your Werner/Ziyech/Havertz he would have been given more chances by any of our managers. Still doesn’t explain how he is one of our highest earners and feeding on scraps, or why we have priced him out of the market from his suitors.

On 15/07/2021 at 17:12, dansubrosa said:

It could be related to a stacked roster, or it could be related to how certain players were treated after their recent loss.