Callum Hudson-Odoi

11 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Subbed the wrong guy, should have been James, who missed the best chance of the game soon after. I think Tuchel is more annoyed with his end product, doubt it's sending a message. Tuchel made changes again this game, unfortunately it didn't go well for him, CHO change just a small part of it. Giroud had a great record against Southmapton, should have started and at least came on via half time.

Apart from giroud and maybe Mount, our end product and decision making from our attacking players is truly awful for supposedly top 4 players. I’d play Kai and mason behind giroud with pace of Cho pulisic or chilwell on wings.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

He should be showing more than he is at present,don't know the answer.

Consistent minutes in a fixed position wouldn't hurt. 

He's barely playing consecutive games from the start and then he's being asked to play 3 different roles during one game. It really can't be easy to build any sort of rhythm as a player when you're role and instructions are majorly changing from one game to the next. 

Just now, just said:

Was looking great before TT subbed him on and then took him off. Hasn't been the same since.

I think Great is stretching it @just

CHO is one of those players you want to see so much more from but you rarely see it. I want to see him taking on and roasting full-backs. Want to see him beat a defender and then get a shot away - trouble the keeper. But I'm just not seeing it. Think TT wanted to see a positive reaction with the sub / sub thing and it really hasn't happened bar one or two moments. Still have high hopes for CHO but not sure either the mental attitude or football brain is there for it to happen.

4 hours ago, just said:

Was looking great before TT subbed him on and then took him off. Hasn't been the same since.

Is what I am wondering too. 

Like I can imagine him going from thinking that this is the manager for him, multiple starts, trusts him in a foreign position to now the manager does not trust him and made an example out of him rather than anyone else.

Edited by axman2526

I thought he was poor today and was surprised he stayed on along as he did. He would probably been the first player I would have hooked. Strikes me as too much of a confidence player with that confidence too easily shattered. There is talent there but I'm far from convinced he has the mental strength and the desire to be a consistent top class player. I suspect he will turn out to be like Zaha. Hyped up then fades.

16 minutes ago, loz said:

I thought he was poor today and was surprised he stayed on along as he did. He would probably been the first player I would have hooked. Strikes me as too much of a confidence player with that confidence too easily shattered. There is talent there but I'm far from convinced he has the mental strength and the desire to be a consistent top class player. I suspect he will turn out to be like Zaha. Hyped up then fades.

Totally agree Loz; he's young but he's never struck me as a player that has the confidence or the arrogance to take on the full back.  We see flashes now and then but he is so inconsistent that it's almost like he doesn't believe in his own abilities. Rather than have a go at the player in front of him a majority of the time he's playing the safe pass backwards, same as Reece James, but we don't know what's being drilled into them every day.  Personally I send him out on loan next season to get more game time, unless he shows up in remaining games and pre-season.

28 minutes ago, loz said:

Really well said.  Just not enough end product for me, and I think you hit the nail on the head with mentality and desire to be a top class player.  Often these fine margins separate players.  He is still very young, so time will tell, but early signs could be better.  I'd put Tammy (albeit he is older) in the same desire bucket.

Contrary to this, Mount may not have the same explosive skills, but is a lot more consistent and more desire than any other player thru the youth academy in recent years.  James is only a half step behind.  Those two will be stalwarts.

Edited by PhilH930
10 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Is what I am wondering too. 

Like I can imagine him going from thinking that this is the manager for him, multiple starts, trusts him in a foreign position to now the manager does not trust him and made an example out of him rather than anyone else.

In that case he's as tough as a daisy

It'd be unfortunate if he's got an attitude problem - but it sure looks that way in certain moments. I mean he does work back most of the times so it's not like he's not putting in any effort but the next thing you see him strolling around like he has no clue what to do. I firmly believe that if he wouldn't have got the Soton treatment before he'd been subbed off at halftime yesterday. Hope he gets back that grip because he was one of the best at the start of TT but now it seems he stagnated at best while everybody else caugth up.

Edited by weetee

I noticed several times yesterday he read the game incorrectly with Giroud, Mount and someone else I forget. The pundit said he does know when to run into space versus come short for the ball resulting in players looking stupid at times as their passes go short or just into empty space.

Now not sure how players manage playing the ball into feet rather than into open space so that the receiving player know the move to make.

However they do it CHO was not reading it.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I noticed several times yesterday he read the game incorrectly with Giroud, Mount and someone else I forget. The pundit said he does know when to run into space versus come short for the ball resulting in players looking stupid at times as their passes go short or just into empty space.

Now not sure how players manage playing the ball into feet rather than into open space so that the receiving player know the move to make.

However they do it CHO was not reading it.

Ya, there was this almost ridiculous sequence of his where he first misreads Girouds run, then twice with Mount back to back (I think) and then topped it off with not going after an easy ball in our own half giving away a corner kick for free to Sheffield. Of course it's not all his fault but damn, he really got some unlucky spells there and unlike Pulisic, who at least showed total will to turn it around (and almost got a fantastic goal out of this), he just seems easily fed up with a game that isn't really going well for him personally.

Not sure how high his ceiling. He's still very young and we need to be patient but he could easily turn out to be a Willian type player. Low goal and assist numbers for a winger without the ball control and tight dribbling ability that Willian has.

Young bloke still learning his trade. I think everyone expected him to emerge fully formed as Mbappe or Messi. Truth is very few players are that. 

I think he is probably also a bit limited because he was able to do the same things and dominate players much older than him in juniors. Its not the same in the first team, particularly when you lose a yard of pace from injury.

For mine I think he is a good player who could go to another level again. His shooting and off ball movement are areas of improvement but as an out and out winger i think his crossing is great and he offers something different from the others in the squad.

He looks a lot more comfortable behind the striker in CAM role than he did as RWB. Maybe when playing more defensive teams using him as RWB works but wants and needs to get forward. Need to remember he's 20 so got a long time to develop still.

He looks a different player on the left where he can get the ball onto his right and threaten the goal, similar to what he did against West Brom and his disallowed goal against Bayern in the CL. On the right as a WB I don't think he can do anything that Reece can't and in actual fact Reece is better defensively and I think Tuchel has realized that hence his minutes have dried up a little of late.

Unfortunately for CHO he seems to be third option as the left sided forward behind Werner and Pulisic.

13 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Not sure how high his ceiling. He's still very young and we need to be patient but he could easily turn out to be a Willian type player. Low goal and assist numbers for a winger without the ball control and tight dribbling ability that Willian has.

Doesn't sound like a player we should keep then.

I

21 hours ago, Fruity66 said:

He looks a lot more comfortable behind the striker in CAM role than he did as RWB. Maybe when playing more defensive teams using him as RWB works but wants and needs to get forward. Need to remember he's 20 so got a long time to develop still.

Or he simply isn't a wb but forced to play as wb