Welcome Ross Barkley

dkw
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

Even in his best form he isn't consistent enough, I don't think he'll ever turn out to be that player we need in central midfield to pull the strings and be that spare man in midfield to make things happen. But he was only 15 million, we took the gamble, it isn't a big loss, if we were to sell him I think we would make a profit. 

RLC looks the better talent anyway, if we can keep him fit for the full season we have no complaints in that area. 

I genuinely thought before this season he was a victim of circumstance and would hit a very high level once he got a coach invested in him (which he hasn't really had in his career, Martinez at the start maybe but that's it).

I thought his form at the start of the season was him kicking on and that month in October it really looked like he was starting to come good on his promise but since November he's been painfully ordinary.

20 minutes ago, just said:

Well there was that hospital ball played in to him when he was under pressure just inside our half, (think it was Jorginho who passed that). Barkley held possession against two opponents, (he can do that with his body strength), spun away, carried the ball away from another and finished with a sweet long pass to Pedro on the right. It was a lovely piece of play. Wouldn't say it was "brilliant" didn't make me go "wow", but then I also didn't see the brilliant, wowey play of Jorginho that you say happened and he was on the pitch an awfully lot longer than Barkley.

Personally, I don't think any of our players were "brilliant" on Thursday, Barkley included. But he certainly played well when he came on. As did Zappacosta.

enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

He tends to play better for England than he does for us. It's because England use him better, too often he is playing with his back to goal for us.

You can still see he is trained by Sarri. Very confident with the ball in all situations.

10 hours ago, evissy said:

Ross' been pretty okay for England. Some mistakes but overall giving all England's quality passes. 

Watched the first half and he looked our best and most creative player.

But when are coaches gonna learn. Don't let Barkley have the ball anywhere near our own box as time and time again he'll lose the ball cheaply and it will cost you. Last night pretty much summed Barkley up - the good and the bad.

Edited by Nibs

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

Watched the first half and he looked our best and most creative player.

But when are coaches gonna learn. Don't let Barkley have the ball anywhere near our own box as time and time again he'll lose the ball cheaply and it will cost you. Last night pretty much summed Barkley up - the good and the bad.

I agree, I thought he was comfortably the best of the midfield creativity wise and was constantly getting on the ball in good positions. But he does overplay when near his own goal unfortunately. Saying that, the pass from Stones was also bloody stupid not long after his own monumental balls up, defenders who are asked to play out from the back sometimes should know when to just get f**king rid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/07/2019 at 17:20, robdog said:

I like seeing Super Frankie imparting knowledge to Ross Da Boss

D_xUryCUwAA4QVz.jpg

I really hope Super Frankie will make Barkley a better player

With Lampard rating Mount and RLC coming back Barkley going to struggle to start many games. Wouldn't surprise me if we sold him next summer.

Feel for Barkley tbh, he was one of the best players we had in preseason, but I can see why Lamps is giving Mount the chances as he too has impressed in the games hes played so far. Even though he doesnt start though, he can still get a whole load of games for us this season as we are in all 4 competitions this year, so there will need to be a lot of rotating.

I thought Barkley shouldve come after about 50 mins on sunday. I think his physicality was needed, and with luiz, we couldve done with his balls over the top and played on the counter. 

I dont think that all 3 of barkley, RLC snd Mount can co exist in the same squad in the long run, unless 1 of them establish themselves in a different position, and with RLC just signing a new contract, and Mount a Lampard favourite, i think Barkley could be the odd one out. 

It will be interesting to see the england squad next week, theres plenty of talk of maddison and mount being called up, so will there be space for Barkley? 

1 hour ago, ENygma said:

Feel for Barkley tbh, he was one of the best players we had in preseason, but I can see why Lamps is giving Mount the chances as he too has impressed in the games hes played so far. Even though he doesnt start though, he can still get a whole load of games for us this season as we are in all 4 competitions this year, so there will need to be a lot of rotating.

But he started VS Utd and was poor.

1 hour ago, big blue said:

I dont think that all 3 of barkley, RLC snd Mount can co exist in the same squad in the long run, unless 1 of them establish themselves in a different position, and with RLC just signing a new contract, and Mount a Lampard favourite, i think Barkley could be the odd one out. 

Two of them spend a lot of time in the injury room though so I don’t think they’ll all be available too often. 

4 hours ago, big blue said:

I thought Barkley shouldve come after about 50 mins on sunday. I think his physicality was needed, and with luiz, we couldve done with his balls over the top and played on the counter. 

It will be interesting to see the england squad next week, theres plenty of talk of maddison and mount being called up, so will there be space for Barkley? 

RLC will have to be managed as we know of his back issues, and he will ease back in after rehabbing from the Achilles.  And Mount is young, there may come a time this season where he hits a poor run of form as defenses adjust to him.  I think there will be plenty of opportunities for Ross.