Alvaro Morata

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Had a massive upswing in form over his last five games. 

He’s movement is looking good (creeps offside a little too much for liking), he’s getting into a lot of scoring positions and he’s looking quite instinctive with his finishing. 

Let’s hope it continues!

He's also putting a lot more effort into the winning the ball back for us. I would go as far as to say that it was because of this that we got our first goal today. We were having an average game, then Morata put in a tackle near the corner, it woke the fans and players up and we kicked on and got a goal from it.

Usually Morata's attempts at winning the ball result in him just kicking player down and then moaning when the ref gives a foul, these days he is actually getting stuck in and trying to win the ball back.

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

He won us a corner by tackling their defender then staying on his feet which lead to the first goal that he ended up scoring, WHY CANT HE JUST KEEP DOING THIS

That was the turning point in the match. Suddenly we woke up. Hopefully he has now turned the corner, I won't hold my breath on it just yet though. Good game today Alvaro.

10 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Gullit on MOTD2 said Morata does not get good service.

Too often we go inside instead of crossing which wastes Morata's aerial ability.

Tend to agree about the service he gets. Really poor into him in the first half hour today. Sometimes maybe it’s his fault for not presenting himself or making the right runs. Earlier on in the season I thought our players were sometimes avoiding passing to him as a bad touch usually handed the ball back to the opposition. Recently however his touch is much more assured, he had a few really good first time layoffs today.

He did well...but 1-on-1's should be an attacker's bread and butter. I don't know how he makes the wrong decision every time. He gets in his head too much. He could have had so many more goals if he could convert even half of his clear cut chances. He also cost Hazard another assist. Won't he think of all the fantasy football players!!! (I don't play it myself lol)

But he's getting better, and the potential is clear to see. As long as he scores some goals and contributes to good results, he can keep his place.

this media is klling me. the new Drogba? Really? this is the very first time he saved our asses on his own for almost year and half since his arrival and they name him the new Drogba? Chill the heck out!

Great moments for him tho. I can't say great match, because he was isolated most of the time, didn't win many duels, didn't even engage, but scoring his first chance to give us 1-0 lead and his second to restore 2-1 lead is amazing and very impressive for any scorer.

Sarri should get some credit too. Morata seemed impossible just 3 weeks ago. this is what trust means in football nowadays. Something Conte and Jose seem to have problems to understand. 

Think Gulit got a point, our attack tend to be over complicated at times. Even when we have Giroud playing, we don't put a lot of cross in, crossing is usually the last resort. Morata is never going to be a Drogba, it's pointless lumping him long balls and expect him to hold it up against big defenders. Apart from putting a few more shots on target, I think his real improvement recently has been his movement in the final third, instead being static and get out muscled off the ball.

1 hour ago, Stim said:

The same Conte and Jose who got criticized for not rotating because they trusted certain players too much? 

Rotation has nothing to do with trust. Just two completely different flaws in their coaching. Not sure about Antonio, because he didn't like Bats, did he, but Jose would have definitely benched Morata. Maurizio showed great patience with him and now we are all reaping  the benefits from it. 

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

It seemed to me like his 1-on-1 miss was borne out of arrogance rather than a lack of confidence. 

Knowing that the game was won and he was just putting the icing on the cake, he tried doing something fancy to mark his hat-trick and it made him look silly. 

For the first goal he really benefited from a pinpoint Pedro cross, but I was impressed by his finishing for the second, given how he deposited it into the corner using his weaker left foot.

The third would-be goal demonstrated why he can be so dangerous late in the game, when defenders are beginning to tire and in Crystal Palace's case are pushing up to try and get something out of the game. He has the pace to get behind defences and the anticipation to latch on to killer balls. 

1 hour ago, DaRick said:

It seemed to me like his 1-on-1 miss was borne out of arrogance rather than a lack of confidence. 

Knowing that the game was won and he was just putting the icing on the cake, he tried doing something fancy to mark his hat-trick and it made him look silly. 

For the first goal he really benefited from a pinpoint Pedro cross, but I was impressed by his finishing for the second, given how he deposited it into the corner using his weaker left foot.

The third would-be goal demonstrated why he can be so dangerous late in the game, when defenders are beginning to tire and in Crystal Palace's case are pushing up to try and get something out of the game. He has the pace to get behind defences and the anticipation to latch on to killer balls. 

The other point I missed

On Pedro's assist, I thought Pedro panicked after seeing his first cross blocked and then hurriedly crossed on the other foot with too much top spin, The top spin allowed Morata to unorthodoxly lift it for the volley which he despatched with aplomb.

Edited by Strider6003

1 hour ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Rotation has nothing to do with trust. Just two completely different flaws in their coaching. Not sure about Antonio, because he didn't like Bats, did he, but Jose would have definitely benched Morata. Maurizio showed great patience with him and now we are all reaping  the benefits from it. 

i think the big reason is that we kept on winning, if the results would have been different i doubt he would be starting 

1 hour ago, DaRick said:

I'm pretty sure he just expected the keeper to dive at his feet. Most of the time that is the case. 

Bit like when you hit a penalty down the middle. Most of the time it works, but if the keeper doesn't dive you look like an idiot.