We've got a new Kepa

15 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I know nobody is happy about Lampard being thrown overboard, but that's no reason to assume the new guy is a complete moron.

Tuchel is a football wonk; I'm sure the fact that Kepa is bad at everything (including his mythical sweeper-keeping) hasn't eluded him. The press have also made it VERY CLEAR that he's no yes man, so why would Tuchel, ahead of anyone, start a plainly inferior player to pacify the board?

8 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Mendy is in my opinion just as good with his feet as Kepa. 

Mendy has been in bad form, but he's not been in league 2 form. Which for me is the standard of keeper Kepa has been for the last 18 months. 

Not refuting either of these and Kepa getting a second chance is just a prediction on my part. 

I don't think Mendy's recent form makes him untouchable and I wouldn't be surprised if part of Tuchel's brief is to get some value for money out of recent investments because there's a lot of money in transfer fees and wages just sitting on the bench and we all know how much Maria loves a bit of "resell value". Hazard was the last asset we had that was someone you could get an obvious return on so where does the next bit of large income come from? 

As it stands right now Kepa is eating away £16m a year of income (£9m in wages, £7m in transfer fee amortised). I think the club would be keen at the very least to put him in the shop window with a view to offloading him in some shape or form before the summer, especially if there's any truth to the rumour we're going to try and sign Donnarumma on free transfer. 

27 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not refuting either of these and Kepa getting a second chance is just a prediction on my part. 

I don't think Mendy's recent form makes him untouchable and I wouldn't be surprised if part of Tuchel's brief is to get some value for money out of recent investments because there's a lot of money in transfer fees and wages just sitting on the bench and we all know how much Maria loves a bit of "resell value". Hazard was the last asset we had that was someone you could get an obvious return on so where does the next bit of large income come from? 

As it stands right now Kepa is eating away £16m a year of income (£9m in wages, £7m in transfer fee amortised). I think the club would be keen at the very least to put him in the shop window with a view to offloading him in some shape or form before the summer, especially if there's any truth to the rumour we're going to try and sign Donnarumma on free transfer. 

The club like to protect value but there's only so long they'll do it at the expense of results (which will then cost us even more money) else they'd have told Sarri and Lampard to find a way to make Drinkwater and Bakayoko work.

Edited by Argo
11 minutes ago, Argo said:

The club like to protect value but there's only long they'll do it at the expense of results (which will then cost us even more money) else they'd have told Sarri and Lampard to find a way to make Drinkwater and Bakayoko work.

The general impression I get from the 2017 transfer window is that it's widely accepted it was a complete disaster and we tried to move on as soon as possible. 

That said, we were pretty quick to move on those, even if it was just on loan. None of them really hung around too long Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Morata, Zappacosta were all sent out on loan (some with quite respectable loan fees). 

Difference with Kepa is right now he's a sunk cost. He's one of the most expensive players we have on the books and is contributing nothing back barring the odd cup game. That can't continue, it's not healthy to have someone like that on the books. No one is going to come in for him, even on loan, this month. So he's here until the summer, minimum, costing over £300k per week. 

So my random prediction is Tuchel will at least give him a chance, even if he's very quickly dropped in favour of Mendy again because I reckon the club will be desperate to try and find a solution to a very expensive problem. 

If Kepa shows up in any prem starting line up then we know Tickle is not picking the team, watch Havertz start the next few prem games as well in the 10 role  ......but in fairness to old Tickle he’s told us all he knows the crack in advance working for Roman & Marina. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, charierre said:

I’ve given Kepa a load of grief in the past. Tonight he deserves credit, one of the few who showed up and his save possibly kept us in the cup as I’m far from convinced we had the morale fibre required to get us back in the game if we had fell behind.

Yeah he stood up to be counted tonight to be fair to him. Still struggled physically at set pieces unfortunately but he kept coming for the ball.

10 hours ago, charierre said:

I’ve given Kepa a load of grief in the past. Tonight he deserves credit, one of the few who showed up and his save possibly kept us in the cup as I’m far from convinced we had the morale fibre required to get us back in the game if we had fell behind.

Agreed, he did well. Hopefully last night at least puts paid to the myth that Kepa’s distribution is good though! His passing was genuinely woeful.

25 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Agreed, he did well. Hopefully last night at least puts paid to the myth that Kepa’s distribution is good though! His passing was genuinely woeful.

In fairness to him, no one was passing the ball particularly well on that surface last night. 

He did well last night, but he still gives me the willies that the opposition will score every time they attack or have a corner or a free kick. I simply don't feel like that when Mendy plays !

The club list him at 90kg, which would make him the 3rd heaviest player (jointly with Reece James) in our squad after Zouma and Giroud. Kepa seems incredibly weak and light weight considering that little tit bit. He comes across as a little boy in a man's game out there ... quite bizarre ...

1 minute ago, nonotnowjim said:

Nothing to worry about! Good display

Made a good save in the game against Willocks header. 

But we look much more vulnerable on corners with him, that slap away in the later minutes of the game for example, had all the time in the world to catch that. 

4 minutes ago, wizardous said:

He did well tonight, without a doubt.

But honestly I don't want to see him in goal ever again. Not even in cup games.

You can’t just write off a £72m signing,  It’s a smart idea getting him  in some game time in  safe games to help him regain his confidence. Worst case scenario come summer he might attract some suitors.

17 minutes ago, ducavis said:

You can’t just write off a £72m signing,  It’s a smart idea getting him  in some game time in  safe games to help him regain his confidence. Worst case scenario come summer he might attract some suitors.

He has already had too many chances to regain his confidence

£72m and two years of Sunday league performances. By far the worst stats of all goalkeepers in Europe's top leagues. Do you realise how many points his mistakes cost us? I am sick of him and would rather give a chance to someone younger in the cup games.

How much is he paid doesn't matter at all to me, he simply hasn't got what it takes and we can't waste more time on him.

Not to mention the disrespect he showed to the club and the manager. If you ask me, his Chelsea career should have been finished at that point.

Edited by wizardous