Sign in to follow this  
ForeverCarefree

Didier Drogba - Happy Retirement To The King

Following Phoenix Rising's loss in the United Soccer League Cup final Didier looks set to hang up his boots at the age of 40. 

Writing on the Phoenix Rising website last month, Drogba had said: "I joke with people that they need to give me the cup, so I can retire in peace. And that if I don't get it, I'll come back. But the truth is, this is my last season."

Not a bad career was it? 

Image result for drogba

The biggest big time ever. 104 goals for Chelsea and probably half of them to save the day, to score in a derby or a final or just to deliver another trophy in the cabinet. 

I doubt we will see such a character and mentality in the big time moments soon. And I'm not talking about CFC only. 

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

He’s the reason I became a Chelsea fan. I read this article and said “that’s a guy I want to follow”

https://www.si.com/vault/2010/05/24/105940842/soccer-savior

AFRICA'S GREATEST STAR, DIDIER DROGBA, DIDN'T SINGLE-HANDEDLY END HIS COUNTRY'S CIVIL WAR, BUT SUCH IS THE RESPECT HE COMMANDS THAT WHEN HE CALLED FOR IVORIANS TO LOOK BEYOND WHAT DIVIDED THEM, THE PEOPLE LISTENED

3 hours ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

The biggest big time ever. 104 goals for Chelsea and probably half of them to save the day, to score in a derby or a final or just to deliver another trophy in the cabinet. 

I doubt we will see such a character and mentality in the big time moments soon. And I'm not talking about CFC only. 

*164 goals, 104 league goals. And countless crucial goals. One of a handful of top strikers in the history of the game who performed better when the occasion was bigger. Wonderful man and player. 

What a great player. Has no one invented a time machine yet so we can get him back in the first team. A true legend hope to see him back at the club soon.

He epitomised, 'when the going gets tough, the tough gets going'. What a player and human being. Top notch.

Thank you for the 'Holy Grail', 

And to the tune of 'December 1963 - The Four Seasons'

Oh what a night, May 19th in Munich Germany

Didier Drogba scored the penalty.

As I remember what a night.

Oh what a night, no one thought we'd ever win that game,

But now it's never gonna be the same

As I remember what a night !. 

4 hours ago, dkw said:

THE biggest of Big Game players, an outstanding player and an outstanding human being. Hopefully we get to see him back at our club in some way.

Club Ambassador will be the role that suits him most in my opinion.

Just a power house of a striker.....he could and did destroy so many defences on his own.......with him you always had a chance. Sadly his kin is not made anymore. Lukaku is the closest and Drog is light years ahead in everything.

Probably my favourite chelsea player ever. Can't wait for my boys to grow up so I can show them old matches of the greatest big game player I've ever seen. 

When we had the spine of Cech, Terry, Lampard, and Drogba, I always felt we would win, it didn't matter who or where we playing, with those 4 in the side, I felt we were invincible. 

3 hours ago, atomis said:

Just a power house of a striker.....he could and did destroy so many defences on his own.......with him you always had a chance. Sadly his kin is not made anymore. Lukaku is the closest and Drog is light years ahead in everything.

Lukaku is a totally different player, he's closer to Torres than Drogba style wise.

If any current striker was comparable to DD style wise it would unfortunately be Kane (few steps behind quality wise though).

Edited by Argo

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Lukaku is a totally different player, he's closer to Torres than Drogba style wise.

If any current striker was comparable to DD style wise it would unfortunately be Kane (few steps behind quality wise though).

Eh, let's not go too far mate.

Kane is unquestionably a far superior player than prime Drogba ever was..

If anything, it makes more sense to compare him with T. Henry & Shearer whom are the best strikers ever in Premier League.

Edited by Aryagorn

4 hours ago, big blue said:

Probably my favourite chelsea player ever. Can't wait for my boys to grow up so I can show them old matches of the greatest big game player I've ever seen. 

When we had the spine of Cech, Terry, Lampard, and Drogba, I always felt we would win, it didn't matter who or where we playing, with those 4 in the side, I felt we were invincible. 

Sadly, it did matter who was reffing, though.

Yes, that was an incredible spine, but Maka was very much part of it for a few years.

Drogba was a total legend. Yes, he was a bit of a slow starter, and had a petulant, almost childish  streak, but he was a true phenomenon, one of the best centre forwards I've ever seen. His contribution to our success was massive.

4 hours ago, Argo said:

Kane doesn't have the pressence nor leadership that Drogba had and it's not even close, all balls go on Kane and he takes his chances but he lacks the personality that makes a player more, at least for now, Kane is like a typical target man that a team can count on like Van Nisterlooy.

Drogba was a late bloomer but that impacted his team and the game much more than just by his stats.