Christian Pulisic - Official

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, Semper Fi said:

He played pretty awful most of the game aside from that goal. 

Strange, all the reports say he had a good game and he's rated 7 or 8 in them. Doesn't say to me he was awful. 

Likely to miss the start of our pre-season due to featuring in the Gold Cup with USA. Makes even less sense why we didn't bring him in this year to half 6 months to get into our idea of football. £60m for a player who likely won't be ready until 9 months after we've bought him.

Edit: Already posted this in the rumours section.

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Likely to miss the start of our pre-season due to featuring in the Gold Cup with USA. Makes even less sense why we didn't bring him in this year to half 6 months to get into our idea of football. £60m for a player who likely won't be ready until 9 months after we've bought him.

I wonder if maybe the price would have been even higher if we were to bring him in January, or perhaps Dortmund just flat out told us no?

Looks like the Gold Cup finishes up on 7/7, so even if the USMNT makes it to the final, it would still finish up a week sooner than the WC did last summer.  Still not ideal, but I think it will all work out just fine.

4 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Looks like he'll be well rested anyway as looking at his involvement for Dortmund in the Bundesliga he is largely a substitute who is either unused or comes in for the last few minutes of the game. Seems to have had a bit more involvement in their CL group games last year. Maybe they're saving him for that competition?

I watched him very closely tonight against Tottenham, he looks average. He had a few decent moments in the first half, but nothing that we haven't already seen from Willian and Pedro this season.

Like Willian, he was good at bringing the ball out from deep in tight situations, but when it came to end product and play in the final third, it was very poor.

He was very poor in the 2nd half. He got into the penalty area after the ball bounced off a Tottenham player, but failed to get a shot away. He was also set up by a team mate to run at the Tottenham defense in a ton of space, but he messed it up and left the ball behind him for a Tottenham player to run away with. This is basically all he did in the 2nd half. 

I'm still waiting to see a performance from this guy that gives me hope that he's going to be something special.

Edited by Scott Harris

12 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I watched him very closely tonight against Tottenham, he looks average. He had a few decent moments in the first half, but nothing that we haven't already seen from Willian and Pedro this season.

Like Willian, he was good at bringing the ball out from deep in tight situations, but when it came to end product and play in the final third, it was very poor.

He was very poor in the 2nd half. He got into the penalty area after the ball bounced off a Tottenham player, but failed to get a shot away. He was also set up by a team mate to run at the Tottenham defense in a ton of space, but he messed it up and left the ball behind him for a Tottenham player to run away with. This is basically all he did in the 2nd half. 

I'm still waiting to see a performance from this guy that gives me hope that he's going to be something special.

I'll definitely pay credence to a lot of that, he didn't do a great deal but he didn't get the chance to do a great deal either, he was good in the first half. 

But you can't say this then go on to say Sancho dominated and had a great game, Sancho basically did as much as Pulisic and had one good moment in the whole match when he skipped past Sissoko or Sanchez one of them (Pulisic also went past Sanchez with ease in the first half). 

Just now, Slojo said:

I'll definitely pay credence to a lot of that, he didn't do a great deal but he didn't get the chance to do a great deal either, he was good in the first half. 

But you can't say this then go on to say Sancho dominated and had a great game, Sancho basically did as much as Pulisic and had one good moment in the whole match when he skipped past Sissoko or Sanchez one of them (Pulisic also went past Sanchez with ease in the first half). 

I said Sancho dominated the first half, I thought he was worse than Pulisic in the second half though. If I was to judge the pair of them, I would say that Sancho looked the better prospect. It wasn't just the skill to get past Sanchez, he took 3 midifielders out of the game at one point, was consistently making good runs down the wing and taking on Tottenham players, playing the right pass and even created Dortmund's best chance of the game. I'm not saying he is great though, but I thought he looked better than Pulisic.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I said Sancho dominated the first half, I thought he was worse than Pulisic in the second half though. If I was to judge the pair of them, I would say that Sancho looked the better prospect. It wasn't just the skill to get past Sanchez, he took 3 midifielders out of the game at one point, was consistently making good runs down the wing and taking on Tottenham players, playing the right pass and even created Dortmund's best chance of the game. I'm not saying he is great though, but I thought he looked better than Pulisic.

When did he take 3 midfielders out the game? He was wide open and got given a good pass on the counter-attack and he skipped past one of the Spurs defenders then his shot/pass got blocked so nothing came from it. 

Besides that moment what did he do in the game? He got fouled outside the box, great. I would say he was slightly better than Pulisic given the fact that he got the ball more than Pulisic, but other than that to say he dominated the first half is a stretch, he didn't do anything of significance. 

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

When did he take 3 midfielders out the game? He was wide open and got given a good pass on the counter-attack and he skipped past one of the Spurs defenders then his shot/pass got blocked so nothing came from it. 

Besides that moment what did he do in the game? He got fouled outside the box, great. I would say he was slightly better than Pulisic given the fact that he got the ball more than Pulisic, but other than that to say he dominated the first half is a stretch, he didn't do anything of significance. 

The bit I was talking about where he takes 3 people out of the game happens on the 37 second mark. Dortmund's best chance comes at 2:06 where he crosses onto the players head. Maybe saying Sancho dominated the first half was a bit over the top, but I definitely think he was the best player on the field for Dortmund in the first half. 

On a side note when was the last time an English player played against an English club in CL or even European competition?

I can't recall anyone do it since Beckham faced Arsenal with Real Madrid.

Edited by Argo

Look who decided to purchase him. Not Sarri, probably the Russian bird who in Romans absence (he spends his time in Israel & Russia since his UK visa problems) is running the club. I live in USA, mateys in the know over here took the piss big time when 58 mill was spent on the boy, he may be the USAs brightest young hope but he ain’t no Landon Donovan. Hope I’m wrong but he’s gonna likely end up in the Morata/ Baka/ Zappa / Drinky pool. As for replacing Eddie - large laughs all round. 

6 hours ago, General said:

Look who decided to purchase him. Not Sarri, probably the Russian bird who in Romans absence (he spends his time in Israel & Russia since his UK visa problems) is running the club. I live in USA, mateys in the know over here took the piss big time when 58 mill was spent on the boy, he may be the USAs brightest young hope but he ain’t no Landon Donovan. Hope I’m wrong but he’s gonna likely end up in the Morata/ Baka/ Zappa / Drinky pool. As for replacing Eddie - large laughs all round. 

That's concerning as I vaguely remember Landon Donovan and vaguely remember he was not a player that stood out though good work rate.

Still he might yet improve.... and his youtube clips look good.

I always thought it will take two decent players to replace Hazard.

What I liked about Jadon Sanchez last night was not just his tricks but his game understanding and hard graft to make it work.

When his team mate was stuck in midfield with nowhere to go he ran back to give him an easy option to get the movement going again.

Lost my stream after the first half so missed seeing how Spurs broke them down though from youtube looks like Dortmund  defended naively against crosses. 

If nothing else I'm just excited about the possibility of Pulisic giving us something new in attack. 

The wingers have needed freshening up for a few years now. We've neglected to invest in those positions properly for a few years now. 

Pedro was the last signing there and even he was signed for a rather modest £20m. 

After the embarrassing failure that was Cuadrado maybe the board have been feeling rather cautious but it's a signing that's long overdue and I'm looking forward to seeing a new face in the attack next season.