Mason Mount

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

13 hours ago, axman2526 said:

That Ross sub, save those for Mount in the future TT. 

He is one of our best players and brings a lot to the side. But if we are going to a shoot out sub him off please.

Spurs last year in the league cup, Norwich this season and now this. He is a terrible pen taker. It is on you for leaving him on.

He needs to go away on an intense training camp with Father over the summer…

14 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

You know what though, I'm not going to put it all down to him. This is what can happen to a player that becomes your most important player at the age of 20. You look at players like Terry, and look at the players he played alongside at a similar age.....winners. Mount doesn't have the privilege to learn from great players around him like Terry and Joe Cole did, he has to learn it on his own, and I extend this problem onto James and Pulisic too. Terry had a world cup and 2 times Champions League defender next to him when he started, then when Mourinho arrived, he played in a defence that had 2 Champions League winners. Joe Cole was as raw as you can get out of young player when he joined, but because he had the experience and so many winners around him, he could feed off it and he grew into a winner. Mount and a few of our other younger players have to learn this all by themselves. They can't learn anything from the most of the senior players in our team, they are a bunch of chokers. Rudiger (as good of a season as he has had) Jorginho and especially Lukaku, this is who our younger players are learning from, players that have made a career out of being nearly men and choking when it mattered most.

It's on the younger players to be the key men at this club, but it should the more senior players that are guiding them.

Not sure I agree about the lack of winners Rudiger, Silva, Azpi, Alonso and Kante have all won major honours just think they are all at the twilight of their careers.

I think the fact that he didn't want to take one of the first 5 shows he's not confident at Wembley any more, not to blame him but when you lose so many it's going to play on your mind.

Another thing is that his penalty technique just isn't that good, he tends to hit it just off center at a decent height and it's easy to save. So really it makes sense that he wasn't one of the first 5 but if he aspires to be a pen taker then there is work to be done.

Top lad, top player but needs some work on his pens as previously mentioned. His unique little run up he does takes away some of the momentum before he shoots. I think he needs a lesson or two from Uncle Frank on just smashing them in.

If I were him I'd watch a few of Lamps tapes back and try and work on it. We all know Mount is fine striker of the ball, especially dead balls so I'm not concerned. Even the greatest players can improve on something.

21 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Top lad, top player but needs some work on his pens as previously mentioned. His unique little run up he does takes away some of the momentum before he shoots. I think he needs a lesson or two from Uncle Frank on just smashing them in.

If I were him I'd watch a few of Lamps tapes back and try and work on it. We all know Mount is fine striker of the ball, especially dead balls so I'm not concerned. Even the greatest players can improve on something.

Lacks a little something from set pieces not just penalties yet often corners too.

In contrast his shots on the move are very good.

3 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Gallagher coming in should hopefully bring a new perspective on things. Either Gallagher comes in and provides a better element in midfield than Mount, or Gallagher's introduction should elevate Mount to a better level. 

Our own Gerrard vs Lampard ordeal. 

Haven't watched much of Gallagher. Would he be more comfortable either side of a striker or does he mainly play deeper?

Edited by Amputechture

7 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Haven't watched much of Gallagher. Would he be more comfortable either side of a striker or does he mainly play deeper?

Given Tuchel has not been afraid to try players like Ziyech and RLC there it wouldn't actually surprise me if he's utilised in a similar way Zinchenko is and Delph was by Pep in an inverted fullback/wingback type of way.

And the craziest thing is, I actually think it would work.

Edited by Argo

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Given Tuchel has not been afraid to try players like Ziyech and RLC there it wouldn't actually surprise me if he's utilised in a similar way Zinchenko is and Delph was by Pep in an inverted fullback/wingback type of way.

And the craziest thing is, I actually think it would work.

This hurt my head 😂

Feel for any player missing a pen unless they’re trying something stupid.
Talking of best players is always subjective when talking about different positions. When talking about player of the year you are taking into account consistency and effect in the role they play.

Still think he will be a top player on what he’s achieved so far and the amount of Ex pro’s opinion of him. 

52 minutes ago, timetowaste said:

This hurt my head 😂

Is it any less likely than Delph being a LB for a centurion team, Milner being a decent fullback, Moses being a RWB for a title winning team, Antonio Valencia being a title winning RB or Loftus Cheek producing a wingback masterclass at The Bernabeu?

That's what you get with managers like Tuchel and Guardiola.

7 hours ago, Term_X said:

image.thumb.png.6a10047ed83e5cb3769cd94816cca30a.png

Weak mentality, 6 finals lost at Wembley, cursed. I don’t see how this improves. Go check out Jordet’s twitter thread.

He looks as though he is accepting grudgingly there. Then again to be fair he was not in the first 5 takers. There is a good chance he would have taken one of the next couple if the shootout continued.

4 minutes ago, forbzy said:

He looks as though he is accepting grudgingly there. Then again to be fair he was not in the first 5 takers. There is a good chance he would have taken one of the next couple if the shootout continued.

Some players just naturally shy away from a penalty.

Torres never liked taking them (even when he was good) and Thiago Silva said no when Scolari asked him to be 6th for a shootout in the 2014 world cup (for that reason I was very nervous when he stepped up in the other final).

One that disappointed me most is Rudiger. He is good at pens and did not have the stones to be in the first five.

I get Jorgi, James and Alonso being on the 5, of course they should be inspite of Jorgis last one, but Toni is better than Dave and Ross at pens.

What a cowardly way to end his career here.

49 minutes ago, Argo said:

Is it any less likely than Delph being a LB for a centurion team, Milner being a decent fullback, Moses being a RWB for a title winning team, Antonio Valencia being a title winning RB or Loftus Cheek producing a wingback masterclass at The Bernabeu?

That's what you get with managers like Tuchel and Guardiola.

It’s more Gallagher being wasted as an inverted wing back, for me he’s a ready made replacement for Kante but with better passing and shooting, over the next few years he could be a world class midfielder. Delph and Milner are were good versatile players but Gallagher’s ceiling is much higher I’d be surprised if Tuchel saw him anywhere else other than in midfield

8 hours ago, timetowaste said:

It’s more Gallagher being wasted as an inverted wing back, for me he’s a ready made replacement for Kante but with better passing and shooting, over the next few years he could be a world class midfielder. Delph and Milner are were good versatile players but Gallagher’s ceiling is much higher I’d be surprised if Tuchel saw him anywhere else other than in midfield

In a 433 I agree but I was thinking more if we kept the 343. Him and Mount in two attacking positions would be overdoing it a bit and I'm not 100% convinced he's defensively ready for a two man midfield.

18 hours ago, Term_X said:

Weak mentality, 6 finals lost at Wembley, cursed. I don’t see how this improves. Go check out Jordet’s twitter thread.

That's like me analyzing a renaissance painting in elementary school - and failing miserably. Rüdiger looks at Tuchel, Hakim probably at the magic mirror on the pitch, which Thiago also observes, to check out Mount's facial expression...

Ross Barkley was brought solely into the match to shoot one pen and nothing else..would be strange not to include him in the first 5. Such a weak mentality of armchair "fans" to question players motivation. Rüdiger was one of if not the best and consistent players this season and played a crucial role in the last one as well. Show some respect - he did infinitely more for this club than some random poster on the internet with a certain negativity syndrome. There I said it.

Edited by weetee

18 hours ago, Term_X said:

Saw that thread on twitter, its absolutely laughable. Had one penalty gone the other way you can guarantee he'd be making the same thread praising Tuchel and slamming Klopp. 

At the end of the day shoot outs are pretty much a flip of the coin. 

5 hours ago, weetee said:

That's like me analyzing a renaissance painting in elementary school - and failing miserably. Rüdiger looks at Tuchel, Hakim probably at the magic mirror on the pitch, which Thiago also observes, to check out Mount's facial expression...

Ross Barkley was brought solely into the match to shoot one pen and nothing else..would be strange not to include him in the first 5. Such a weak mentality of armchair "fans" to question players motivation. Rüdiger was one of if not the best and consistent players this season and played a crucial role in the last one as well. Show some respect - he did infinitely more for this club than some random poster on the internet with a certain negativity syndrome. There I said it.

Well said. The amount of abuse Mason gets is astounding from our own ‘so called’ fans. Some players rise to the pressure of the shootout others don’t. Baggio took years to get over his miss for Italy.