Hull v Chelsea (FA) Sat 25th Jan 17:30 GMT

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

CHO should still start the next game, maybe the way he was predictable was due to the instructions he was given. Pedro just isn't good anymore.

The rest you mentioned should be back on the bench, starters are Reece and Azpili as full backs, Tomori did well though so it's up to Lampard to pick the CBs I don't know who would be the best to start against Leicester since Christensen has been decent recently.

It's probably difficult for Pedro as he has played so little, I thought his movement was good yet his execution was poor.

It's shame he did not get a move, I would expect him to retire this season yet who knows.

I agree Christensen has been good yet never looks like scoring, that's the second time this season Tomori has scored and while we are struggling to score I think that seals it for me.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

It's a win, but this team is so uninspiring. The attitude after the break was once again terrible and when we were asked to put a shift in, the players were too mentally weak to step up and deal with it.

I gotta admit, this era of Chelsea is hard to love. Too often it just feels like so many players don't put a shift in and crumble at the slightest bit of pressure.

As much as I would like to find fault with this post I just can't and have to agree with everything said. We've waited years for the academy players to be introduced and now it's finally happened it seems they are not mentally up to the task.

Not in anyway saying they are bad players and there is certainly some talent amongst them but it's the mentality to fight, battle and make their mark that seems to be lacking in so many games. There is no leader.

This bunch have been given a rare opportunity to show what they're all about and so far they are faltering. The reason for that can't all rest with the players though, the coaching must play a part and perhaps the mentality installed at academy level needs looking at.

On a positive note, still 4th in the league and into the next round of the FA Cup so not all bad.

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Very much the stereotypical game of two halves. Hull didn't press high or sit deep (a bit like us at times...) and Kovacic cut them apart with that space spraying the ball from side to side. The pass to Dave before Michy's goal was particularly sublime. Then after halftime they marked Kovacic and the same problems emerged notably the lack of physicality that we have seen since Matic left. A few extra thoughts:

1. Movement in midfield to create space was awful. Barkley and Mount were missing.

2. Barkley generally put in zero effort to either press or track back even when he gave the ball away it was Pedro steaming back to cover not Barkley who jogged and arrived once thr danger had passed. 

3. Michy was Michy. Scored but really wasn't interested in doing anything else. When we were under pressure and needing him to hold the ball up he was nowhere.

4. We desperately need a midfielder or winger with shooting boots. In the interim, Pedro might be the best option. His finishing wasn't great today but for a guy who hasn't played in months he still looked more likely than anyone.

5. Our back four played really well. Dave and Tomori were particularly impressive. Goal was unlucky.

Again we made it difficult for ourselves, by not being further ahead when well on top in the first half.

Two or three glaring goal scoring chances came and were missed. Credit to the Hull keeper though.

Kovacic looked brilliant in the first half spraying passes long and short all over the pitch.

Good to see Billy Gilmour get a short run out ion the second half.

Just glad we got through.

8 hours ago, WeatherMan said:

As much as I would like to find fault with this post I just can't and have to agree with everything said. We've waited years for the academy players to be introduced and now it's finally happened it seems they are not mentally up to the task.

Not in anyway saying they are bad players and there is certainly some talent amongst them but it's the mentality to fight, battle and make their mark that seems to be lacking in so many games. There is no leader.

This bunch have been given a rare opportunity to show what they're all about and so far they are faltering. The reason for that can't all rest with the players though, the coaching must play a part and perhaps the mentality installed at academy level needs looking at.

On a positive note, still 4th in the league and into the next round of the FA Cup so not all bad.

I don't agree with this at all.

Abraham and Mount are busting a gut every game. James has certainly put himself about a bit. Gilmour has looked energetic on his rare chances. Guehi was solid in his two League Cup games, and Lamptey was terrific in his lone cameo appearance. Tomori has looked to my eye to be our best centre back this season. Christensen I'm on the fence about, but probably only because he's stereotypcially Nordic in his demeanour. The only one of the academy players who has featured and looks off the pace at times is CHO, who is coming back from a serious injury.

12 hours ago, Slojo said:

Are the people who are against "panic buy" signings still believing we don't need any this month?? I'm interested. 

I’m against panic buying and I don’t think we need one this month. I would like us to buy a decent player though.

For people to believe what happened against Hull is what's happening in the league games is wrong. We have all the possession but barely create any chances in the league and that's the problem from the start. Against Hull we had all the possession, scored and created more chances in the first half, haven't seen that much in the league for a while.

36 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

For people to believe what happened against Hull is what's happening in the league games is wrong. We have all the possession but barely create any chances in the league and that's the problem from the start. Against Hull we had all the possession, scored and created more chances in the first half, haven't seen that much in the league for a while.

I think that's fair. The not finishing chances line that Frank is running doesn't really take into account the quality of chances we're creating which generally aren't great.

Today Barkley and Mount both missed one on ones they should have buried. Pedro missed a couple that he was entitled to score too.

That's more than we've created from open play in the league since the start of the year.

I feel like a broken record but am still seeing too much pessimism and this glaring disconnect between the patience most were willing to show at the beginning of the season and the current petulance. It’s not everyone of course. Also, the players and team are by no means beyond reproach. After all, they get paid sickening amounts of money to do what they do and should be held to a high standard. But the performances, while not great, aren’t nearly as bad as many think, including yesterday. Hull away in the FA cup isn’t an easy fixture. Their coach saw what they needed to do at halftime, got them fired up for the second half, they played their hearts out and we were caught flat-footed. Happens. Credit to them and their coach. We still won.

Big picture, Lampard is doing a good job under the circumstances. He knows what the problems are and couldn’t be more frank (sorry!) about them. The players are learning. The defence was our big problem at the beginning of the season, but this area has shown significant improvement in recent weeks to the extent that the need to sign a top centre half is no longer a hot topic on here. Yes, cracks have appeared elsewhere. That’s just the way it goes with a new manager in a new job with a bunch of young, inexperienced players. It’s just teething problems, nothing worse.

I have faith that things will start to click for the balance of the season. This is based on a combination of faith in Lampard, faith in the players and a somewhat less rational faith in seasonality. I tell you what though - if this is our winter slump and the usual seasonality plays out for the rest of the season, this will prove to have been a relatively mild slump and we could be in for a treat. Keep the faith! 

25 minutes ago, Dean said:

I feel like a broken record but am still seeing too much pessimism and this glaring disconnect between the patience most were willing to show at the beginning of the season and the current petulance. It’s not everyone of course. Also, the players and team are by no means beyond reproach. After all, they get paid sickening amounts of money to do what they do and should be held to a high standard. But the performances, while not great, aren’t nearly as bad as many think, including yesterday. Hull away in the FA cup isn’t an easy fixture. Their coach saw what they needed to do at halftime, got them fired up for the second half, they played their hearts out and we were caught flat-footed. Happens. Credit to them and their coach. We still won.

Big picture, Lampard is doing a good job under the circumstances. He knows what the problems are and couldn’t be more frank (sorry!) about them. The players are learning. The defence was our big problem at the beginning of the season, but this area has shown significant improvement in recent weeks to the extent that the need to sign a top centre half is no longer a hot topic on here. Yes, cracks have appeared elsewhere. That’s just the way it goes with a new manager in a new job with a bunch of young, inexperienced players. It’s just teething problems, nothing worse.

I have faith that things will start to click for the balance of the season. This is based on a combination of faith in Lampard, faith in the players and a somewhat less rational faith in seasonality. I tell you what though - if this is our winter slump and the usual seasonality plays out for the rest of the season, this will prove to have been a relatively mild slump and we could be in for a treat. Keep the faith! 

It's ever been thus in the 10 years I've been reading and posting on here. 

I also think Frank is doing a good job and I don't think anyone is calling for him to get the arse. We're certainly doing better than I expected without Hazard. I also agree that we tend to have this mid winter drop off in form and then come home strong. 

That said, we've got some pretty clear challenges. No issues in pointing those out in my view (without hyperventilating of course)

11 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

It's probably difficult for Pedro as he has played so little, I thought his movement was good yet his execution was poor.

It's shame he did not get a move, I would expect him to retire this season yet who knows.

I agree Christensen has been good yet never looks like scoring, that's the second time this season Tomori has scored and while we are struggling to score I think that seals it for me.

I thought Pedro was pretty good for a guy who has barely played. He has a very useful nack of finding space in the box. Shame it didn't quite click for him yesterday. 

The sight of him haring back at full pace chasing a Hull counter after Barkley gave it away and then jogged said to me he is still committed and could be important on the run in. Particularly if we don't get an goal scorer in. 

9 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

It's ever been thus in the 10 years I've been reading and posting on here. 

I also think Frank is doing a good job and I don't think anyone is calling for him to get the arse. We're certainly doing better than I expected without Hazard. I also agree that we tend to have this mid winter drop off in form and then come home strong. 

That said, we've got some pretty clear challenges. No issues in pointing those out in my view (without hyperventilating of course)

Certainly no issue pointing out the challenges, but I guess that’s been done for me so am inclined to take the other side ?. Also, i was at the bottom end of expectations coming into the season. Perhaps those initial low expectations make it easier for me to be optimistic now.

Played poorly but got the win which Is all that matters really a nice draw for the next round tonight hopefully. Frank Looked visibly pissed off regarding the transfer situation so hopefully the club pull their finger out and give him what he needs.

Not a good game. They weren't on our level, but we were very wasteful in the first half, again. Our players are far too complacent when taking their shots if we are up a goal.

I fear the constant talking about us not being able to close a game is turning into a self fullfilling prophecy.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Saved me the bother,bravo

16 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

It's a win, but this team is so uninspiring. The attitude after the break was once again terrible and when we were asked to put a shift in, the players were too mentally weak to step up and deal with it.

I gotta admit, this era of Chelsea is hard to love. Too often it just feels like so many players don't put a shift in and crumble at the slightest bit of pressure.

Uninspiring? Frank in charge, youngsters coming through and showing talent and potential,  6 points clear in 4th, and over 4k away fans going to Hull on a Saturday evening in January with no trains, the team and club inspire me.

7 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

I don't agree with this at all.

Abraham and Mount are busting a gut every game. James has certainly put himself about a bit. Gilmour has looked energetic on his rare chances. Guehi was solid in his two League Cup games, and Lamptey was terrific in his lone cameo appearance. Tomori has looked to my eye to be our best centre back this season. Christensen I'm on the fence about, but probably only because he's stereotypcially Nordic in his demeanour. The only one of the academy players who has featured and looks off the pace at times is CHO, who is coming back from a serious injury.

Blows my mind that so many people wanted the integration of youth in to our team and now it’s happened, some want to write these kids off after 6 months of a season. 

The expectations of our support have massively shifted. There was people saying finishing in the top 10 this season was success but now the expectation is we must make top 4?! I said it after the arsenal game but some people need to take a step back and look at it with some perspective. Things could be a lot worse. We’re an extremely young team with an inexperienced manager, there is always going to be teething problems. 

17 hours ago, WeatherMan said:

Overall, I am happy with the young players. Mount has been struggling of late, but Tomori, James and Abraham have been more good than bad. Hudson-Odoi needs to stop having these types of games where he doesn't look interested though. 

It's mainly the older players I have a problem with. Too often they can go through periods of a game where they just don't look like they are trying as hard as they could be. They get sloppy for a couple of minutes, and you think to yourself "okay, they will snap themselves out of it in a minute" but it never happens, and they go the rest of the game looking like they aren't interested. It's happened with so many managers now that I don't think it's a coaching problem. Lampard can make the tactical changes, he can make the subs, but if the players aren't 100% commited, then there isn't much else he can do.

It's a shame these younger players aren't playing alongside a leader like Terry, he would be the perfect player to learn from. The only thing I see the young players learning from the current senior players is a ton of bad habits.

Edited by Scott Harris

4 hours ago, chi blue said:

Uninspiring? Frank in charge, youngsters coming through and showing talent and potential,  6 points clear in 4th, and over 4k away fans going to Hull on a Saturday evening in January with no trains, the team and club inspire me.

It's not Lampard or the youngsters that I have much of a problem with. It's the players as a group not putting the effort in for 90 minutes of a football match, that is the issue I have. Finishing 4th may be the end goal, but I would like to be entertained along the way, or else what is the point? If we finished the season 4th only winning a handful of games from now until the end of the season, I'll be happy in one way because we have achieved more than I thought we would, but that doesn't mean I will have enjoyed the season overall. There is more to football than where we finish, being entertained is just as important for me.

For the past few seasons, I am watching us bored out of my mind throughout most of it, especially from November to March.

Edited by Scott Harris

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Overall, I am happy with the young players. Mount has been struggling of late, but Tomori, James and Abraham have been more good than bad. Hudson-Odoi needs to stop having these types of games where he doesn't look interested though. 

It's mainly the older players I have a problem with. Too often they can go through periods of a game where they just don't look like they are trying as hard as they could be. They get sloppy for a couple of minutes, and you think to yourself "okay, they will snap themselves out of it in a minute" but it never happens, and they go the rest of the game looking like they aren't interested. It's happened with so many managers now that I don't think it's a coaching problem. Lampard can make the tactical changes, he can make the subs, but if the players aren't 100% commited, then there isn't much else he can do.

It's a shame these younger players aren't playing alongside a leader like Terry, he would be the perfect player to learn from. The only thing I see the young players learning from the current senior players is a ton of bad habits.

I came on to make exactly the same sort of point.

I think it is unfortunate that the timing of blooding so many youngsters coincides with the senior players not being all that. You imagine, if Tammy, Mount, James, CHO etc were playing alongside players like JT, Lamps, Cech. It's been said time and again that we're lacking leaders and that is unfortunately effecting things a lot right now. As good a pro as someone like Azpi is, you will never turn him into a JT.

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

I came on to make exactly the same sort of point.

I think it is unfortunate that the timing of blooding so many youngsters coincides with the senior players not being all that. You imagine, if Tammy, Mount, James, CHO etc were playing alongside players like JT, Lamps, Cech. It's been said time and again that we're lacking leaders and that is unfortunately effecting things a lot right now. As good a pro as someone like Azpi is, you will never turn him into a JT.

To be fair Nibs, if we had the likes of Terry, Lamps and Cech these youngers wouldn't be playing in the first place, you don't get both I'm afraid.