Difficult season ahead

I know we won, but I think the team is lacking in creativity and having a true difference maker. During the 2nd half we simply didn't have any answers or a plan going forward. 

Their defense stayed back and that really hampered our counter attacking. 

Hopefully having Lukaku might provide that spark in the final 3rd.

20 minutes ago, Evenflow20 said:

I know we won, but I think the team is lacking in creativity and having a true difference maker. During the 2nd half we simply didn't have any answers or a plan going forward. 

Their defense stayed back and that really hampered our counter attacking. 

Hopefully having Lukaku might provide that spark in the final 3rd.

We have to take into account that this was preseason. For some of these players they hadent played a single minute..and Villareal were much further into their preseason and match fitness. It made a big difference. I do agree though, we definately have needed an out and out striker regardless

That game was in a lot of ways very much like last season, but at the same time, it was the first game, a lot of regular starters missing, players playing their first game since returning. It's going to take a while for everybody to get up to speed. We need to be more ruthless in attacking positions though. Gotta be brave, make things happen, don't pass the ball on to somebody else hoping they can be the one to get things going. The talent is all there, this group just need to overcome this mental block and trust in their abilities.

Is it lack of creativity or inability to take chances. Or both?

Fair point though. This is an issue and was a problem in FA Cup final and against Villa. Two one off games certainly changes that feeling. 

Lukaku can make a difference, and we also need more creativity from midfield or the wingbacks. 

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Gotta be brave, make things happen, don't pass the ball on to somebody else hoping they can be the one to get things going. The talent is all there, this group just need to overcome this mental block and trust in their abilities.

If you could sum up the last three years of attacking issues, this would be it!

It isn't a lack of creative opportunities, it's the quality of what we are doing in those key moments. Whether it's Reece James passing backwards instead of putting in a cross, Werner making decoy runs instead of attacking the ball or our entire midfield being unwilling to shoot from distance, the common threat is that lack of initiative.

1 hour ago, SydneyChelsea said:

If you could sum up the last three years of attacking issues, this would be it!

It isn't a lack of creative opportunities, it's the quality of what we are doing in those key moments. Whether it's Reece James passing backwards instead of putting in a cross, Werner making decoy runs instead of attacking the ball or our entire midfield being unwilling to shoot from distance, the common threat is that lack of initiative.

To sum up, we need a star who can shoot and make something happen. 

47 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

To sum up, we need a star who can shoot and make something happen. 

That's what Lukaku brings to the table. Lukaku doesn't do cute sideways passes. He runs straight at the goal and either shoots or attempts to set up a teammate, nothing in between.

I have pretty big doubts over whether he can produce results at EPL level, but on paper, if we look at play style alone he is exactly the player we need.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

9 minutes ago, SydneyChelsea said:

That's what Lukaku brings to the table. Lukaku doesn't do cute sideways passes. He runs straight at the goal and either shoots or attempts to set up a teammate, nothing in between.

I have pretty big doubts over whether he can produce results at EPL level, but on paper, if we look at play style alone he is exactly the player we need.

Tuchel isn't stupid, it is clear that we need somebody who can freaking score or do something. The easiest solution is to get a no 9 who can play back to goal and more importantly have presence in the box. So now Reece can just swing random cross in the box. Our midfield does not need to play precise football just get Lukaku the ball in the box and let him play bullyball

Teams had success against us by playing deep and blocking the middle of the pitch, we aren't good at crossing and there's no real target to hit once the defence is set. With the incoming Lukaku, this should change, he's far more a aerial threat in the box, and has the ability to tie up both central defenders with his strength and the ability to turn in the box. It will be a difficult season, think we will have a rough start, but will pick up after the 1/2 dozen of games.

When we got the ball back after their goal we were very predictable and frankly easy to fend off. Losing Ziyech hurt us. 

I am not expecting this season to be anyway easy. I am just hoping we can bridge these gap between us and whoever is in front of us (if any). Probably City, Liverpool and ManU are going to do well. 

I don't think we can win the premier league with that central midfield. Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic for me are not good enough to win the premier league. 

Yesterday, I was only able to watch the first 90 mins, and in that second half, just because Villarreal were controlling possession, there was nobody in that midfield who could win possession back from them.

And this was why we were shouting for Declan rice. You need a defensive midfield beast who can bully opponents and regain possession for us, Kante is doing his best, but I don't think he is a bully.

Second, I think Tuchel made a mistake to bring in Jorginho in that second half. I think Villarreal were controlling possession, so I don't think Jorginho had a business in that game. Even though Kovacic was misplacing passes, Tuchel shouldn't have panicked, Kovacic would have calmed down and be ok, because the only two players we can play in those positions when we need to regain possession are kante and Kovacic, Jorginho cannot tackle.

Another challenge I have is our system, the formation we use. I feel most of our game is from the flanks. And therefore maybe, if we will do well in a match depends on the players we play in our wing backs. And so, Tuchel should have played both Chillwell and James yesterday. Alonso and Odoi for me, did not play well yesterday.

Lastly, i am concerned about our attack. I don't think we did well in our attack yesterday. I feel Ziyech will be playing many matches for us this season. He should even be starting ahead of Mount and Pulisic because when Mount came in yesterday, I don't think he did anything.

Going into the season, sincerely, we need to buy Declan Rice, I don't think that central midfield is good enough.

31 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

Lastly, i am concerned about our attack. I don't think we did well in our attack yesterday. I feel Ziyech will be playing many matches for us this season. He should even be starting ahead of Mount and Pulisic because when Mount came in yesterday, I don't think he did anything.

How did you think Pulisic played?

Credit to Villareal. They set up well and gave us issues.

Having now watched the replay, it seemed to be pretty typical of our tougher games last season under Tuchel. Lots of ball, lots of pretty slow meaningless passing and not a lot of cut through. 

A wins a win though. Let's hope Lukaku can give us a bit more cut and thrust and once we have a full rested team we can show a bit more.

After what I saw last night, I cannot see us winning the title. Not even sure we will challenge and can see many lacklusture displays where we drop points.

I think we make top 4 comfortably. For me I can't see Kai and more so Werner going up SEVERAL gears that they need to in order for us to be consistent. 

Thats my honest opinion however, I accept it. We won the CL, im still grateful so they get a pass from me this seasom.

The second half last night was painful to watch. Reminded me of the Brighton game we drew 0 0 last season.  Creating nothing and no rythme.

1 hour ago, hephzibah said:

I don't think we can win the premier league with that central midfield. Kante, Jorginho and Kovacic for me are not good enough to win the premier league. 

Yesterday, I was only able to watch the first 90 mins, and in that second half, just because Villarreal were controlling possession, there was nobody in that midfield who could win possession back from them.

And this was why we were shouting for Declan rice. You need a defensive midfield beast who can bully opponents and regain possession for us, Kante is doing his best, but I don't think he is a bully.

Second, I think Tuchel made a mistake to bring in Jorginho in that second half. I think Villarreal were controlling possession, so I don't think Jorginho had a business in that game. Even though Kovacic was misplacing passes, Tuchel shouldn't have panicked, Kovacic would have calmed down and be ok, because the only two players we can play in those positions when we need to regain possession are kante and Kovacic, Jorginho cannot tackle.

Another challenge I have is our system, the formation we use. I feel most of our game is from the flanks. And therefore maybe, if we will do well in a match depends on the players we play in our wing backs. And so, Tuchel should have played both Chillwell and James yesterday. Alonso and Odoi for me, did not play well yesterday.

Going into the season, sincerely, we need to buy Declan Rice, I don't think that central midfield is good enough.

Rice will not solve our problems in lack of creativity. Waste of 100m. Look how crap and unimaginative England were with Rice and Phillips. We play the same way for large parts. We need a cesc type player to unlock passing lanes.

This obsession with Rice man... 

With Ziyech injured we're a creative player short, 15+ goals/assists each from Mount/Pulisic isn't a guarantee and while Anjorin could perhaps step up he's still raw/unproven. PSG's Sarabia could be a good signing imo. We also still haven't signed a left sided CB to potentially play with a back 4 this season.

No idea what this guy is smoking but it’s some heavy sh*t!