Willian

It forces the club into contingency planning. Knowing that the CL income is there allows you to place a buffer on your spending and have some in reserve.

Missing it won't destroy the club overnight, but it restricts squad improvements, new contract deals etc

It can have long lasting repercussions that don't impact straightaway. Generating income through a player sale builds a layer of safety.

True but you also have to factor in that by failing to land our major targets this summer, mainly John Stones, then it's £40m+ that was set aside in transfer fee and then presumably a further £4m+ was earmarked for wages. 

We've not spent that so it's still in the kitty so could be argued that any supposed need to sell would be offset by still having those funds. 

Any suggestion of selling any first team player for financial reasons is completely stupid unless we can get an equal quality alternative with that money and even then you're ruining chemistry for nothing. We signed the second biggest sponsorship deal in history, TV and prize money is bigger than ever and we didn't spend any significant amount in years with the most obvious example being this summer. The next two windows should be the time Jose finally gets a proper support from the club with ambition to win everything every season.

Hes scored as many this season as he did the 2 before combined. I think it was reasonable to be skeptical

That is what I was alluding to, people on here would not have a clue about a footballer.

even if they was standing right in front of them.

So you think us making yet another loss, not conforming to FFP, potentially having penalties imposed because of it and not being able to generate enough money to compensate for the loss of CL football isn't worth selling off one of our best assets?

I'm glad you're not running the club.

I tend not to run with the people who target posters preferring to let them learn themselves,  BUT you do talk utter tosh most of the time.

FFP is dead, out moded & out dated, just like its instigator.

As for running the club, do you really think you would make a better job than those are in charge now.

I'm in the always been a fan of Willian camp. So now I'm going to spin in the other way.

If willian hadn't have taken the free kicks this season, or if he hadn't have found this skill set. Would people still be raving about him? my guess is no, because for me take away the free kick goals, Willian is the same player that we have seen for the past two seasons. A damd good one by the way. Forget the free kick, there should have been between one or two additional assists on Wednesday night, but players failing to bust a gut to get in to the box and get on the end of things pretty means that those efforts by Willian leaves him "stat-less" 

He has been putting these performances in almost consistently for the last two years, getting those dangerous crosses across the goal mouth for 2 years. But no one gets on the end of them its like a tree falling in an empty Forrest..

but he will still never be the guy who gets on the end of things, like say ramiers does (although lacks the ability of a Willian)

Its nice that he's putting away these free kicks, but if they all of a sudden dry up, lets not start believing that he's reverted to type.

However, while the free kicks  our flying in, it gives teams another dimention to think about. We can finally punish them for constant fouls 

I'm in the always been a fan of Willian camp. So now I'm going to spin in the other way.

If willian hadn't have taken the free kicks this season, or if he hadn't have found this skill set. Would people still be raving about him? my guess is no, because for me take away the free kick goals, Willian is the same player that we have seen for the past two seasons. A damd good one by the way. Forget the free kick, there should have been between one or two additional assists on Wednesday night, but players failing to bust a gut to get in to the box and get on the end of things pretty means that those efforts by Willian leaves him "stat-less" 

He has been putting these performances in almost consistently for the last two years, getting those dangerous crosses across the goal mouth for 2 years. But no one gets on the end of them its like a tree falling in an empty Forrest..

but he will still never be the guy who gets on the end of things, like say ramiers does (although lacks the ability of a Willian)

Its nice that he's putting away these free kicks, but if they all of a sudden dry up, lets not start believing that he's reverted to type.

However, while the free kicks  our flying in, it gives teams another dimention to think about. We can finally punish them for constant fouls 

That's a good point but there have been times when Willian has been anonymous in the past, particularly at tough away grounds, where he looked like he coudn't handle it. He's well and truly adjusted to the Prem now, in fact I'd say it's been a constant improvement since he came. I can't agree that he's at the level now that he's always been, although I take your point about goals and assists from open play. His best period of form, for me, prior to this season, was in the latter half of last season, where he put in some really good performances, just when the team was faltering a bit. That's the most encouraging thing, the fact he has performed his best just when we needed somebody to step up to the plate.

@barak, to be fair, he got on the end of a cross and almost scored a header. Very unusual sight.

This is true, but for us at least, if you put a compilation of Willian goals together, most of them are scorchers, when ever he's been in the box and it should be a tap in, it just hasnt gone 

To be fair, he was fairly crap the last 2 years. 

No. He wasn't. (to be fair)

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

Barak81 sums it up why I don't agree with you.

He has been fantastic the last few months for Chelsea. He is the only player out there who can come away with any kind of merit. The work rate and performances have been top notch. He has, at times, single-handedly kept Chelsea in games.

I wonder which team will come sniffing for him in January. If we don't make the CL next season then it might be worth selling him off to ensure a good stream of money coming into the club.

So you think us making yet another loss, not conforming to FFP, potentially having penalties imposed because of it and not being able to generate enough money to compensate for the loss of CL football isn't worth selling off one of our best assets?

I'm glad you're not running the club.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/manchester-city-fine-transfer-cap-uefa-ffp

Granted this was a while ago, but it does show that FFP can affect a club that makes a substantial loss which Chelsea will definitely do without CL football.

The fact that City have spent so much more this year is because they've got their accounts in order and they have a suspicious sponsorship deal from Etihad which just happens to be partly owned by Sheikh Mansour.

You are either a troll or one of the dumbest c**ts to ever find a keyboard.

Your "business advise" is terrible, and especially so for a football club.

Sell your best assets to avoid a relatively small fine?  Idiocy of the highest order.  That's how businesses turn a small short term problem into a disaster.

You think the best way to deal with missing CL football is to further weaken the team that failed to qualify?  Absolutely gobsmacking stupidity.

You're also using a 2014 article regarding FFP and MCFC to justify your stance which is stupid for numerous reasons, such as the vast transformation between FFP as it stands now and as it stood then (its not the same kiddo, try reading more than once every year or so if you want to remain current).  Or we can just look at MCFC.  Oh yes, they were completely hamstrung in getting players this season and clearly, looking at the league table, they must massively regret not selling Aguero, Silva and Kompany to avoid that FFP penalty.  It killed them that fine did, just wiped out their future. 

As you can tell, my patience has run out.  If you want to celebrate Financial Statements then there is a club in London that does just that, but I suspect you know this and already have a few of their kits laying on the floor waiting for mummy to pick up.

This is really worth a watch if any of you have 12 minutes to spare.

Hasn't got the mad skill of Hazard but he's at the top of his game and oozing confidence.

Last night was a big goal, we draw and they're ahead of us on points and we're third with two games to go, and the pressure just mounts.

Look at the pass on three and a half minutes. They couldn't live with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqUR6g5u14

2:18 is something special. That video sums up how good he was on Wednesday - not only the goals but everything about his play. I was one of those who defended him in the last couple of seasons but he's exceeded even my expectations.

You are either a troll or one of the dumbest c**ts to ever find a keyboard.

Your "business advise" is terrible, and especially so for a football club.

Sell your best assets to avoid a relatively small fine?  Idiocy of the highest order.  That's how businesses turn a small short term problem into a disaster.

You think the best way to deal with missing CL football is to further weaken the team that failed to qualify?  Absolutely gobsmacking stupidity.

You're also using a 2014 article regarding FFP and MCFC to justify your stance which is stupid for numerous reasons, such as the vast transformation between FFP as it stands now and as it stood then (its not the same kiddo, try reading more than once every year or so if you want to remain current).  Or we can just look at MCFC.  Oh yes, they were completely hamstrung in getting players this season and clearly, looking at the league table, they must massively regret not selling Aguero, Silva and Kompany to avoid that FFP penalty.  It killed them that fine did, just wiped out their future. 

As you can tell, my patience has run out.  If you want to celebrate Financial Statements then there is a club in London that does just that, but I suspect you know this and already have a few of their kits laying on the floor waiting for mummy to pick up.

:laugh2:

So a £49 million fine is relatively small, according to you. I'm glad you're not the one providing 'business advice'.

The squad is good enough to qualify and do well without Willian. We only won a shed load of trophies without him. I know you can't drag your Neanderthal knuckles off the floor to watch the team, but you'd think that some of the events of the last decade might have made its way into your memory.

I said in my post that I knew the 2014 article was a while ago, but you've overlooked that haven't you. Try reading a simple sentence if you want to remain cognisant, 'kiddo'. (Calling someone a kid generally means that you haven't got anything else. You're just a bit pathetic, aren't you.)

Manchester City didn't miss out on CL football and therefore the income. Chelsea are actually staring that in the face this season. Breaching the FFP rules aren't so bad when you have that support to fall back on. Chelsea won't have that next season if they don't sort it out soon.

If you want to make absurd and abusive statements towards someone, there's a forum that experiences frequent meltdowns. Maybe 'mummy' can direct you towards you there.

The squad is good enough to qualify and do well without Willian. We only won a shed load of trophies without him.

Just because Willian wasn't at the club when Chelsea won a load of trophies doesn't mean he's not important to us now. We won a shed load of trophies without Hazard, so we might as well sell Hazard.

At the moment Willian is the only who looks like he cares AND is able to get us a win.

Man city didn't actually pay a 49m fine. As they sorted their books out a year later.

Edit. The pay end up reducing from €60m to €20m, about £15m.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/manchester-city-fine-transfer-cap-uefa-ffp

I don't think we would be affected by a year out of cl. We would still be able to strengthen enough to get us back into top 4 the following season, and I don't think we would lose any players, most are on long term contracts, and we pay very well here.

Edited by big blue

:laugh2:

So a £49 million fine is relatively small, according to you. I'm glad you're not the one providing 'business advice'.

Well the fine was relatively small as MCFC only paid about 16 million and not the 49 million you are claiming. I'm not surprised you don't like my advice as apparently you don't like dealing in current facts. I do.

16 million is half of what we paid for the player you are suggesting be sold, our best attacking performer this season without whom would be looking even more likely to kiss not only next seasons CL, but already be out of this year's group stages (were you not considering his impact in terms of going further in the CL? I thought a bit back you were talking about how lucrative that and increased league positions were. Now your financial advise is sell the asset best driving those hopes?:laugh2: Sell our current best hope when there's half the season left and the rest of the team is playing rubbish? :laugh2:).

Willian's fee is typical of many of our players in attacking or midfield positions, no? Willian's fee is also roughly around what CL qualification brings in (something he is currently vital for), no? I'd say half is relatively small.

The squad is good enough to qualify and do well without Willian. We only won a shed load of trophies without him. I know you can't drag your Neanderthal knuckles off the floor to watch the team, but you'd think that some of the events of the last decade might have made its way into your memory.

If we had the team that won those trophies over the decades ( last season aside) then we wouldn't talk about missing out on CL qualification would we? However, to your point, anyone who watched previous league wins and glory would notice we won those trophies with good wingers/wide attackers like Robben/Duff and on form Malouda/Anelka amongst others.....so let's sell our current best wide option?

If you were as confident in this squad as you claim, you wouldn't suggest panic sales based on missing out on the CL when the vast majority of the points are still undecided.

Or are you somehow banking that the club can sell Willian and automatically find a better replacement for less? Like the club haven't been trying and willing to spend even more :laugh2:

I said in my post that I knew the 2014 article was a while ago, but you've overlooked that haven't you. Try reading a simple sentence if you want to remain cognisant, 'kiddo'. (Calling someone a kid generally means that you haven't got anything else. You're just a bit pathetic, aren't you.)

I saw your comment on the date, but pointing out that something is old doesn't magically make it relevant. Your information is old (ok) but it's also out of date and inaccurate(not ok) , which was the point I wrote. If you're dumb enough to think it wise to make major decision based on old and out dated information, you are probably dumb enough to do something like [inaccurately] rag on someone for not reading when doing exactly that yourself. We can get to the pathetic bit at the end.

Manchester City didn't miss out on CL football and therefore the income. Chelsea are actually staring that in the face this season. Breaching the FFP rules aren't so bad when you have that support to fall back on. Chelsea won't have that next season if they don't sort it out soon.

Back to talking finances with people who shouldn't be talking about them (wasn't it a wise Brit who once said that a little kowledge is a dangerous thing?). In terms of penalties and fines, (all other things being equal)a drop in revenues (Chelsea's POTENTIAL situation) has the same effect as an raise in expenses ( MCFC's situation). One is where your income drops but expenses remain the same, creating a decrease ( all things being equal) in net income (what you can spend under ffp) and the other your income remains static but your expenses increase, again causing NIBT to decrease.

Do you think a one off fine hurts a business more or selling a key asset that's hard to replace?

Expenses can be amortised. Fines and penalties also don't apply towards spending under FFP and thus can be afforded considering the massive increases in revenue the club is experience mixed with their past few seasons of prudence. We could go real in depth but let's save the time beacuse it really comes down to one question anyways.

What information do you even have to provide that would justify suggesting panic selling this season's best player halfway through it as sound 'business advice? I would love to see your financial analysis. Things must be dire.

If you want to make absurd and abusive statements towards someone, there's a forum that experiences frequent meltdowns. Maybe 'mummy' can direct you towards you there.

Bitch about my behaviour or sink to my level by resorting to it. Doing both is actually pretty pathetic. Perhaps even childish, kiddo.