Willian

Mike 93
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

He has been poor the last 2/3 months and his form has really dipped.

However, he should win POTY because when the chips was down and the team was struggling, he stepped up and dragged the team over the line in certain matches.

Still doesn't score enough goals or get enough assists for me.

He's had a "good" season and has 10 goals and 6 assists (despite taking the majority of our free kicks and corners).

Oscar has had a bad season but has 8 goals and four assists in 9 full games less.

Pedro has scored only three less than Willian despite a lot less playing time and taking no set pieces.

I'm repeating the same old arguments but Willian just doesn't do it where it really matters in the final third.

Was great when everyone else was sh*te. Has been poor since they came back into a little bit of form. Now it looks like the whole team is going to be sh*t for the remaining few games.

He's had a "good" season and has 10 goals and 6 assists (despite taking the majority of our free kicks and corners).

Oscar has had a bad season but has 8 goals and four assists in 9 full games less.

Pedro has scored only three less than Willian despite a lot less playing time and taking no set pieces.

I'm repeating the same old arguments but Willian just doesn't do it where it really matters in the final third.

Willian is a better overall player than Oscar though. Work rate is better, faster, better technique in tight spaces, takes on more players. Plus Willian plays out wide most of the season Oscar plays as number 10.

Remember what Mourinho said when people were comparing Mata stats to Oscars " don't compare stats for a number 10 to someone who runs and chases the full back down all game".

I'd take Willian over Oscar every day of the week.

Willian is a better overall player than Oscar though. Work rate is better, faster, better technique in tight spaces, takes on more players. Plus Willian plays out wide most of the season Oscar plays as number 10.

Remember what Mourinho said when people were comparing Mata stats to Oscars " don't compare stats for a number 10 to someone who runs and chases the full back down all game".

I'd take Willian over Oscar every day of the week.

It's not a comparison of Oscar and Willian.

It's saying that even when Willian is at his best he still doesn't do enough in the area of the pitch he's playing.

We always hear the work rate argument but what use is lots of running if there's no end product?

He'll run really fast, win back a lost cause but then play the ball backwards with a simple five yard pass. He's not clinical, ruthless or selfish enough as a forward player.

My point with his goals and assists compared to Oscar is that it's generally accepted that Oscar doesn't perform to a good enough level and despite that his out put isn't far behind Willian.

A 32 Robben with less than half of Willian's playing time this season has contributed to 9 goals.

Theo Walcott has contributed to 12 goals this year in less than 18 full matches.

Even Aaron Lennon has 6 goals in just over 13 full games.

Willian just doesn't put up the numbers needed of a top quality player.

Edited by ForeverCarefree

I'm a huge fan of oscar, possibly the last one left on here, but all this shows is how unsatisfactory a metric 'goals and assists' are.

given the context of the rest of the team, particularly under jose, I think willian this season stands up to nearly any season by any player in the last ten years.

I look at the winners of the player of the season for Chelsea for the last 15 years and Willian will hands down be the worst of lot.

Willian at his best is a decent, hard working player.

A player that elevates a side to the next level, a player you can depend on, someone who puts in big performances in big matches? Not for me.

He's the Mikel of attacking midfielders.

he isn't a game changer, that's for sure. he's scored a few winners from free kicks, but he rarely takes the game by the scruff of the neck and makes that big impact. before this season he was rightly getting criticism for his lack of contribution to goals, and even though he's improved a bit this season he still isn't the game changer we need. i would personally rather see traore on that right flank as think he has tons of potential to make that position his own. just my opinion though. 

I'm a huge fan of oscar, possibly the last one left on here, but all this shows is how unsatisfactory a metric 'goals and assists' are.

given the context of the rest of the team, particularly under jose, I think willian this season stands up to nearly any season by any player in the last ten years.

There's still a few of us here, you're not alone ;)

Honest question, but do fans of Oscar just talk about his debut against Juventus from almost four years ago? That's still his best and most complete performance.

He was great when Jose first came back and was rightfully keeping Mata out the team. There was that game against Norwich I think where he came on in the second half and turned a turgid performance into a 3-0 win.

He was great when Jose first came back and was rightfully keeping Mata out the team. There was that game against Norwich I think where he came on in the second half and turned a turgid performance into a 3-0 win.

Might be Southampton, although I could be forgetting a great performance against Norwich too.

I stand by my point that Juventus was his best game, but he was earning his place in the team too. He was actually a good player for a few matches at the start of both of Jose's first two seasons but I think that all ends after the Swansea game last January.

That is the last great Chelsea performance I think, before the players got either too tired or Jose got more conservative. That match is us at our devastating best, pressing Swansea into errors and then destroying them. Unfortunately it doesn't last, we use 11 players for the rest of the season and never really get reinforcements.

As for Oscar, I really don't want him to stay. That's not because of him personally, but because I want Conte to come in, change the system and use the proceeds from an Oscar sale to do that.

I think it was Southampton. Very right mate, he was great in Jose's in 1st season back and half of last season. For me I think his physique is a hinder for him and his type of 10 isnt the creative sort. I recall the Olympics Brazil participated in before he joined, he was in a more advanced role behind the striker with Ganso as 10. Come summer we shall know if Conte holds him in high regard or not.

Yes I seem to have my wires crossed. The Norwich game was 1-1, willian came on for mata and we scored 2 more to win 3-1

And indeed was away to Southampton where Oscar came on we won 3-0.

I look at the winners of the player of the season for Chelsea for the last 15 years and Willian will hands down be the worst of lot.

Willian at his best is a decent, hard working player.

A player that elevates a side to the next level, a player you can depend on, someone who puts in big performances in big matches? Not for me.

He's the Mikel of attacking midfielders.

Yep your right. I actually think Oscar is a better player going forward than William. William should use his biggest asset which is pace and just get down the byline and put in crosses, it's simple but effective. We are still waiting for a good William cross. His corners are terrible.

When people mention a players work rate it's not always a good thing, it's basically because he don't have much else to his game. Ramires comes to mind, works hard but terrible first touch, couldn't pass but come up with a great goal here or there. Same with Milner.

William works in a team when you have an in form Hazard who won't track back as much.

Honest question, but do fans of Oscar just talk about his debut against Juventus from almost four years ago? That's still his best and most complete performance.

If it's an honest question then go read back the Oscar thread and see for yourself. Raising the question here feels like a poor attempt at provoking yet another endless argument, which I have no interest in.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelseas-willian-50m-target-chinese-7855656

Wanted for £50 million apparently.....would you take it if it's true ?

I know he has been our player of the season, but that is a hell of a lot of money.

For that money definitely, aside from some wonderful free kicks in the first half of the season, he still lacks an offensive output compared to other AM's that money would buy.