Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Thought it was interesting when we were starting to sit deep and invite a lot of pressure from Liverpool Jorginho started to press the Liverpool defenders when in possession meaning for a while he was the furthest player forward out of the Chelsea team. It was almost as if he was saying "we're too deep, push up". 

He's Sarri's messenger in many respects, you see him dictating where players should be continuously through shouts and hand gestures but is also showing through breaking ranks what everyone else should be doing as well. 

17 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Thought it was interesting when we were starting to sit deep and invite a lot of pressure from Liverpool Jorginho started to press the Liverpool defenders when in possession meaning for a while he was the furthest player forward out of the Chelsea team. It was almost as if he was saying "we're too deep, push up". 

He's Sarri's messenger in many respects, you see him dictating where players should be continuously through shouts and hand gestures but is also showing through breaking ranks what everyone else should be doing as well. 

I also noticed that, he's very interactive, definitely a shout for captain material. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2018 at 14:40, RIP Mourinho said:

I'd say he has the ability to be just as good as Pirlo. Sure he doesn't have the long range shooting ability that Pirlo had (yet) but his passing is on par. The speed that he can see and make a pass is up there with the best i've ever seen. Cesc was good but i think Jorginho might just be better.

I am at the same mind - Jorginho can became very powerful and strong midfielder like Pirlo. Yes his long shots are the weakness in his play, but passes crosses dribling is on high level. I very like Jorginho play and my dream is after 10 years for example Brazilian with Chelsea to past achievements which Pirlo have! We will see

No-Pirlo-No-Party.jpg

Jorginho is a true diamond. He has the best spacial awareness I’ve ever seen from a Chelsea player, which in combination with his silky touch makes him one of the most comfortable one touch-player I’ve seen and one of the more press resistant players in the world. 

Other players might be more spectacular in their passing, but few if any are as efficient. The only downside is that our playing style is so dependent on him, because Fabregas doesn’t reach Jorginho’s ankles as a pivot. 

Edited by opinionsarelike

1 hour ago, opinionsarelike said:

Jorginho is a true diamond. He has the best spacial awareness I’ve ever seen from a Chelsea player, which in combination with his silky touch makes him one of the most comfortable one touch-player I’ve seen and one of the more press resistant players in the world. 

Other players might be more spectacular in their passing, but few if any are as efficient. The only downside is that our playing style is so dependent on him, because Fabregas doesn’t reach Jorginho’s ankles as a pivot. 

If there was a player as adept as he is at that role, he certainly wouldn't be happy sitting on our bench as a backup. I think Fab as backup is a great option, and if he leaves we'll find it very hard to replace him.

52 minutes ago, robdog said:

btw has anyone heard back from Stuart Robson? I noticed he hasn't spoke about Chelsea or Jorginho. I am thinking his is waiting for Chelsea to slip up which hasn't happen yet :biggrin:

Just another useless pundit spewing crap for the hell of it......its the producers ass that should be kicked for hiring and persisting with these so called Experts who get paid very very well for nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Opposition are kind of man marking him when we have the ball, it hinders our attacking play. Every team seems to be doing the same thing.

He's definitely not finding the same amount of space he did at the start of the season but I was noticing during the first half yesterday when the ball kept going back to Luiz and Rudiger both of the centre backs didn't seem to want to play the ball wide to the fullbacks, which seemed strange to me considering both of them often had a lot of space free around them and also that Kante and Kovacic rarely dropped deeper to give the centre backs another passing option (which might have freed up Jorginho). 

Maybe it was just us not playing well or maybe they're trying to stick to instructions or the system too rigidly I don't know but it feels like the opposition are starting to come up with solutions to Sarri's system, especially Jorginho getting so many touches. 

24 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He's definitely not finding the same amount of space he did at the start of the season but I was noticing during the first half yesterday when the ball kept going back to Luiz and Rudiger both of the centre backs didn't seem to want to play the ball wide to the fullbacks, which seemed strange to me considering both of them often had a lot of space free around them and also that Kante and Kovacic rarely dropped deeper to give the centre backs another passing option (which might have freed up Jorginho). 

I feel like they did try to play the ball wide to our fullbacks but unfortunately neither of them can beat a man to save their lives, so Everton was perfectly happy to just stay in their formation and 9 times out of 10 then both usually just pass it sideways or back to our CBs.

Our right side for example of Azpi, Kante and Willian/Pedro is extremely limited for me. Two of them are clumsy and not suited for possession-football and the other two are inconsistent wingers.

Saw the below passing stats for Jorginho, thought they were worth sharing as part of the conversation. Obviously him getting subbed off after 60 odd minutes will have had a bearing on his numbers for the Everton game but considering we had 70% possession his influence was clearly restricted. 

Jorginho passes in the PL: 

Huddersfield - 66
Arsenal - 99
Newcastle - 173
B'mouth - 79
Cardiff - 92
West Ham - 180
Liverpool - 73
S'hampton - 91
Man Utd - 74
Burnley - 102
Palace - 107
Everton - 50

I thought him being subbed quite early was very interesting as I was happy to see Sarri change the way the midfield was set up when it wasnt working rather than belligerently sticking with it, it shows he is able to change during a game.

29 minutes ago, dkw said:

I thought him being subbed quite early was very interesting as I was happy to see Sarri change the way the midfield was set up when it wasnt working rather than belligerently sticking with it, it shows he is able to change during a game.

Suspect the risk of Jorginho being booked again was on his mind.

On 11/11/2018 at 19:33, jack_super_class said:

Opposition are kind of man marking him when we have the ball, it hinders our attacking play. Every team seems to be doing the same thing.

I agree, against Everton the other week they essentially played Joringho out of the game, and subsequently Hazard wasn't getting the delivery that allowed him to influence games like he did earlier in the season.

Terrible today.

Two poor games in succession now.

Arguably should have been sent off.

The way Son scored his goal was actually quite embarrassing for a holding/defensive midfielder.

Plenty of praise on this thread but I think equally deserving of criticism for the past 2 games.

Sarri seems set on playing him in this position for the season so we can only hope he improves.