Sindre

Mateo Kovačić

4 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

I really like him in Jorginho role, better tackler, quicker around the pitch and his dribbling in tight spaces is good too.

He's not better than Jorginho at that role though. Malmö (lower tier team) was pressuring so much the first 25-35 minutes and nobody could do anything about it. Jorginho passes better and makes clear openings for players to move to. Kovacic is better at running with the ball though.

2 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Kovacic is better at running with the ball though.

Awful giveaway aside, I think he's also better at the defensive side of the game. Much more physically gifted, and not afraid to put a boot in. 

2 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Awful giveaway aside, I think he's also better at the defensive side of the game. Much more physically gifted, and not afraid to put a boot in. 

I think we need to see a lot more to judge whether or not he is suited to play the role. He played 30 minutes against Sheffield Wednesday in that position and gave away the ball right in front the defence with wasnt punished, and he made similar mistakes in the first half against malmo. Jorginho would've been crucified for those errors, and that was against low level opposition. Let's see what he is like against half decent opposition in that position. 

Kovacic is terrible in the Jorginho role , he gave it away against Sheffield, he lost his runner for malmos goal 1st leg and was so iffy on the ball in the first half I remember the crowd going mad because he swivelled round two players and sprayed a lovely ball out to the wing but he so very very nearly had the ball punched of his toes and just barely escaped which was impressive but wow it didn’t need to be that difficult and that’s exactly why Jorginho gets slated because he makes that look simple and doesn’t skin two players and play a Hollywood pass he’s controlled the ball and played a far simpler but as effective pass by playing it quicker .. I honestly wondered about kova there but it was so obvious last night why Jorginho plays there, kante and we would be even shakier in possession although harder to play through so a side good at the back but that can’t play football and hoofs it long ? No one would like that either. I’ve said before I think Sarri has completely lost the dressing room at this point and think it’s impossible he turns it round, but I don’t actually think it’s his fault. The squad/team is just sh*te basically .. hazards effort is inconsistent and it seems to me him saying he might leave he might not all season just basically reflects in his play that he might show up or he might not he might be arsed he might not,Willian Pedro both so poor, kovacic underwhelming same Barkley , Jorginho frustrating I just don’t think the teams very good .. full backs are never considered our biggest weakness but they definitely are attacking wise and defending wise  ... azpi isn’t the same this year whether it’s position change or age I dunno but he is nowhere near the best defender in the league any more , and alonso well there’s no words he’s shocking, that first City goal and him blaming Eden was just the last straw he has no football brain he’s just gifted with another one of those magic wand like left pegs that left footed players seem known for .. he can’t cross for sh*t but even in current form if a awkward volley came into the area in the last min against spurts next week I’d want him on the end of it but he still shouldn’t be anywhere near that team ahead of Emerson.

i think we are pretty much playing to our potential bar CHO not starting and the sh*te subs. Ps. Although results are shocking we look much better with higuain up top IMO reminds me of having Eto’o I never felt we had a peak killer but I always felt we had a proper footballer which at the time Torres (Morata) wasn’t.

Edited by I Am Gay 4 Diegod

Kovacic is a special type of player. He has good dribbling skills and can run with the ball but lacks a lot in other regards.

This is why every team that had him ended up putting him on the bench, he knows how to play the game very well but tactically you would always prefer someone with an end product in a particular part of the game. If he was just a bit faster maybe some manager would dare to put him as a winger, if he had a better shot maybe someone else would dare to put him right behind a striker with a more free role like an attacking midfielder. Maybe if our tactic was a normal 4-4-2 he would work much more with Kante in the midfield.

In this current Sarriball he brings the stability where he can keep the ball in our possession and sometimes contribute to the defensive covering.

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

Thought he was the best player on the pitch today, largely due to a level of urgency and intensity i've never seen from him before.

I wouldn't say best player, but he was very, very good.  Defensively he put in a great shift.  Also his technical ability in the team is second only to hazard.  He has some crazy tricks.  Passing was great.

His problem is he has no end product, which is what is required of him in that role.  

1 hour ago, TheChelsRVA said:

I wouldn't say best player, but he was very, very good.  Defensively he put in a great shift.  Also his technical ability in the team is second only to hazard.  He has some crazy tricks.  Passing was great.

His problem is he has no end product, which is what is required of him in that role.  

This is where I think Sarri is going wrong. I personally thing Kovacic would play the Jorginho role better than Jorginho. I think Jorginho is better suited for it in Serie A, but in a league where you need to be quick with your feet and cope well being pressured on the ball, you need somebody in there like Kovacic. 

Jorginho isn't a bad footballer, he's just struggling to adapt to the pace and physicality of the league. 

11 hours ago, Jonty said:

Thought he was the best player on the pitch today, largely due to a level of urgency and intensity i've never seen from him before.

You didn't see Kante?

17 hours ago, TheChelsRVA said:

Yup, he was quality. Incredible ball control and has a knack of getting out of tricky situations with ease.

If he created and scored goals then he’d easily be an elite player. Maybe Sarri is hoping it will click one day but it doesn’t look likely sadly.

5 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Yup, he was quality. Incredible ball control and has a knack of getting out of tricky situations with ease.

If he created and scored goals then he’d easily be an elite player. Maybe Sarri is hoping it will click one day but it doesn’t look likely sadly.

Sorry to repeat myself but he is only 24. Quite a lot of time still for it to click potentially 

Agreed. Though RLC is 23 and Kovacic only 24. Both of them still have quite a bit of growing to do. It's also worthwhile remembering that he was an attacking midfielder before Madrid changed him. He reminds me a bit of Mousa Dembele - what he has in his locker he does exceptionally well but he needs to add more to his game to stake a proper claim.

I don't think he is shown anywhere near enough to warrant a permanent move. I think Barkley offers more, especially from an attacking viewpoint. But I would pick RLC before either at the moment.

1 minute ago, just said:

I don't think he is shown anywhere near enough to warrant a permanent move. I think Barkley offers more, especially from an attacking viewpoint. But I would pick RLC before either at the moment.

Ideally I think we need to give RLC more game time, let Kovacic go back to RM, and sell/loan Barkley to open up room for an upgrade

On 28/02/2019 at 23:39, venom2011 said:

Agreed. Though RLC is 23 and Kovacic only 24. Both of them still have quite a bit of growing to do. It's also worthwhile remembering that he was an attacking midfielder before Madrid changed him. He reminds me a bit of Mousa Dembele - what he has in his locker he does exceptionally well but he needs to add more to his game to stake a proper claim.

at what age is a player ready to play full time in a premiership team.

8 hours ago, Semper Fi said:

Here is a fun fact for everyone:

Kovacic has gone 100 senior games without scoring any goals. 

What are the figures for Kepa and Willy?

13 hours ago, just said:

What are the figures for Kepa and Willy?

I think most people got it by now that you really dislike Kova and want him to leave. No reason to reiterate it that often. ;)

On 02/03/2019 at 02:20, just said:

RLC needs to start over both... I can’t even recognize this Barkley...

8 hours ago, Vagabond said:

I think most people got it by now that you really dislike Kova and want him to leave. No reason to reiterate it that often. ?

I don't dislike him, but I don't think he is anything special. Same again today when he came on.

If it helps in any way I feel the same about Jorginho. Though, credit where it is due, he scored a very nice finish today. 

Just for the sake of balance Vaga I hope you are also picking up those posters who repeatedly point out the perceived short-comings of Willian, Alonso and Barkley?

On 02/03/2019 at 12:47, coco said:

Kovacic and Higuain will have to impress over the next 10 weeks to get into our plans for next season imo.

I wouldn't be too much worried if we lose both of them in the end of the season, their price tags are way above their end product IMO.

Kovacic knows how to play but has always lacked a primary position and his value is 30m which is too much for essentially a bench player.

Higuain is just too old but is still valued at 45m, again too much money.

That's just my opinion but Tammy can do just as well as Higuain next season and honestly when Van Ginkel recovers he can be the backup for Jorginho that's 2 players of good quality that are already here.