Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I think most of this is just gossip, I don't buy the bad dressing room.

Sure Rudiger might have wanted to play more and same goes for Jorginho yet don't think this poisoned the dressing room.

I thought with my ESP skill he was a goner after the Leicester game yet there were no announcements.

I think the board disliked a few of the things he did yet would not have sacked him mid-season if our results were good enough.

^^^ THIS

Surely the sacking of Frank is sad news for many here. But really, if the manager's name wasn't Frank Lampard, are you surprised at the sacking given the results to date and the lack of direction of this team?

1 minute ago, Sexyfootball said:

It's the modern approach though isn't it ?  The role is First team COACH not Manager ... he is expected to take whatever he is given and work to improve it, and make the team better than the sum of its parts. It's dangerous to impose a system first and then fit players into it ; you have to assess what you have, and then what system fits best. Hiddink (first time) and Conte (first season) are the managers we have had who most obviously got that right.

DoF way only work if DoF is also a football people and respect the manager and willing to work with him. We got someone who is great at negotiating but got little to no football experience and not respecting nor willing to work with manager. Tell me how many times since 15-16 we have sh*tty windows where players arent anywhere near the manager wants and tons of panic buys and last min purchase?

14 minutes ago, Zaphod2319 said:

If what is reported is only half true, Tuchel is inheriting a bad locker room that needs to be dealt with very fast.

Yeah, and he still needs to self isolate for 10 days. So he's not doing anything until the 4th of feb at the earliest. 

6 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I’m not sure when this narrative started that frank wasn’t involved in the signings but almost every player we signed this summer said they talked to Frank. Besides if frank didn’t like the players he wouldn’t have forced them to play considering he wasn’t afraid to drop pulisic last season who was a board signing.

speaking to the players doesnt really tell much of a story, you think Lampard would refuse to talk to them just because they arent his signings? it is like your boss assigned a sh*tty client for you to follow and you wont tell the client you really dont wanna serve him in his face

3 minutes ago, cfcforeverfan said:

DoF way only work if DoF is also a football people and respect the manager and willing to work with him. We got someone who is great at negotiating but got little to no football experience and not respecting nor willing to work with manager. Tell me how many times since 15-16 we have sh*tty windows where players arent anywhere near the manager wants and tons of panic buys and last min purchase?

It's too much of a business, and there is now too much money involved for the old manager role a la Ferguson to exist to any great extent .... but yes you need competent people at all levels.

Im gutted and embarrassed to see Frank get his P45 so unceremoniously from RA & His Board, wasn't even allowed to say goodbye to the players. Apologies if this content  has already been posted as have only clocked this and the prev page of comments.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2021/jan/25/frank-lampard-set-to-be-sacked-what-went-wrong-at-chelsea-video

An appointment with Mr Roman’s twitchy, well-scuffed sacking shoe

Frank Lampard in the snow at Stamford Bridge. Po’ Frank’s a-cold! Photograph: John Sibley/Action Images/Reuters

Mon 25 Jan 2021 16.48 GMT

•  
  •  
  •  

CHELSEA DAGGER

Stamford Bridge is swathed in snow, but that’s not why Po’ Frank Lampard’s a-cold. Po’ Frank’s a-cold because Frank Lampard’s Chelsea have just issued him with Frank Lampard’s P45, Mr Roman’s notorious and oft-operated boot sending him bouncing eastbound along London’s fashionable King’s Rahd in style, his old school tie trailing in the breeze. Seems scraping past 10-man Fulham, eking out a turgid win against second-tier Luton, and having his coaching trousers washed, pressed and handed back to him on a silver platter by Brendan Rodgers wasn’t enough to save his dream job after all. Hey, it’s lucky Brenny gave him back those breeks, huh kids, because Mr Roman has hoofed him down the Rahd with some force and feeling. Imagine the neon chafing that would otherwise have occurred by the time he reached Sloane Square.

As he whistles down the trendy tarmac at breakneck speed, Po’ Frank may take a moment to wonder where it all went wrong. It was barely 50 days ago that his side topped the Premier League, and Jürgen Klopp had anointed them as favourites for the title. That proved to be the Liverpool manager’s worst judgment call of the season by some distance. Not bad going for someone who has seen his new star striker get crocked in a dead rubber, and willingly went into the campaign with only three centre-backs, two of whom were constructed using a compound mixture of talc, tears and hope.

Chelsea’s subsequent meagre haul of seven points from the next 24 on offer saw them plunge into mid-table irrelevance, a sorry state of affairs that inevitably led to Monday’s appointment with Mr Roman’s famously twitchy and well-scuffed sacking shoe. So all Po’ Frank has to keep him warm are the memories: the bittersweet knowledge that he leaves behind a youthful legacy, turned a Bundesliga scoring sensation into a solid four-goal-a-season Premier League stalwart, performed contemporary dance in front of Marcelo Bielsa, ranted self-righteously at someone else’s backroom staff while his side were busy shipping five goals, and enjoyed a better win ratio than Danny Blanchflower, Geoff Hurst and André Villas-Boas. That’s our Frank: manager, leader, legend.

Advertisement

In an ideal world, Po’ Frank’s successor would be Neil Warnock, finally agreeing to take the job that was his in 1991, had he only wanted it. Failing that, popularity’s Rafa Benítez, who has suddenly become available after downing tools in China. But it’s going to be Thomas Tuchel, a wise move given the 47-year-old German’s CV. His Bundesliga experience should help get a tune out of Timo Werner and Kai Havertz; he got Paris Saint-Germain to their first-ever Big Cup final, no mean feat even if they subsequently forgot to turn up for it. Finally, he’s not afraid to tell recalcitrant star players and opinionated billionaire owners exactly what’s what, so much so that all three of his previous gigs have ended in overheated acrimony. This is going to be great. We give it three months.

21 minutes ago, Slojo said:

You're just jumping to conclusions without even knowing the details. 

Giroud and Christensen are innocent? You don't know that. You don't even know if Rudiger and Kovacic are guilty. It's all hearsay, don't jump to conclusions without evidence. 

Yeah. It doesn’t sound right to me. I know a bit about Kovacic and this doesn’t really fit his profile. It doesn’t square with other comments he’s made to the media. Also, given his not great form, surely if there was bad blood Lampard would have played him less? Much better to just ignore this stuff as there’s bound to be crossed wires.

I wonder if putting Rudiger back in the team towards the end was one last desperate attempt to deal with one of the problems in the dressing room. Thought it was odd that he was in front of Zouma in the pecking order all of a sudden and with all the news coming out that he was one of the disrupters you can't help but think it was a late attempt from Lampard to "save" the situation.

3 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

It's too much of a business, and there is now too much money involved for the old manager role a la Ferguson to exist to any great extent .... but yes you need competent people at all levels.

i just want a city board, hiring football people like Txiki Begiristain, and then work closed with the manager, not buying random ass player out of thier mind and force the manager to play them

I don't even bother myself with the so called media reports and insider said this or that. 

I'm not claiming to be a football genius but I've played and watched the sport long enough to know it was the wrong appointment from the get go. 

I watched over 50% of his games as Derby manager not because of any affiliation with Derby but because of Frank. He was on to something but not quite there yet. 

And believe it or not, the way he wanted to play or approach games in my opinion was great. The problems I always had were two fold and they were

(I) his inter personal skills really needed improvement.

Not in the way of molly cuddling players or the press but he was always a bit too edgy. Confident but edgy and I think it let him down more than a few times. I won't go into why I thought he handled the Bielsa spygate thing very poorly and what that said about him as a person first then manager. I believe I've given my opinions about it before. Past Bielsa we've also seen some tension with other managers this season. 

His treatment of older players even though he didn't think they were a long term feature of his team would have only created divisions. And with having several youth players in the team at once with some obviously getting a bit of favouritism (no qualms about this, managers have favourites), that divide would have naturally progressed as youth against older players. Even for an experienced manager, not an easy situation to navigate. 

(ii) Adaptability

For a very intelligent man this is one area I was quite surprised at. Frank didn't seem to adapt very well to situations he found himself in or in other words learn lessons and avoid mistakes. Now this underlines the difficulty of a manager's job but in a way also shows why he wasn't yet ripe for the job. I think this season he was getting the help he definitely needed, however its a high pressure job that always demands quick responses and positive ones too. 

Have no doubt, he isn't any less of the Chelsea Legend he is because of this and the same board will be happy to offer him the appointment again in future if he proves he is worth it. 

To all those that say the management used him and put him in a difficult situation by offering a job when no one else would take it and knew he wouldn't refuse, I believe you don't really mean it and just talking due to the raw emotion now. 

Believe it or not, it is a highly attractive job that apart from those in A class jobs already, managers would consider even if they were told they were there as a place holder. Do you even consider that the reason the board gravitated towards Lamps in the first place was the concerted talking up of Lamps as future Chelsea manager when he got appointed to the Derby post and even this continuing even before Sarri had finished his first season with us?

Not to talk of it severely ramping up come end of his season by his English football buddies and connects in the media, as well as the growing support in fan circles for him to be appointed? They were put in a difficult position but have managed it as best as they could. Can't win all the time. 

I have been lurking on this forum for many years. Emotions are high today so I felt the need to rant out some thoughts to whoever is interested in reading them.

I was undecided when Frank was first appointed, kind of a ‘heart says yes mind says no’ situation.
Mind said no because of the lack of experience and the dread of reaching the point we have reached today. Heart said yes, well, cause it’s Frank Lampard, what Chelsea fan wouldn’t want him at the helm?

I would have been happy with any position over the relegation zone last season because of many factors that we all know (transfer ban, young team, loss of the league’s best player), and yet Frank overachieved and got us a top four finish. This is when the trouble started in my opinion. The board’s expectations were always going to be high for this season, especially after the huge financial backing. It is very hard, from a business perspective, to justify regressing after spending so much.
Would Frank have been able to take us out of this slump? Probably, but sadly there were no signs of that. I’d take ugly football with good results, I’d take bad results with beautiful football. Sadly, we had neither.

I don’t believe the whole ‘Frank threw his players under the bus’ narrative. We all know the type of player Frank was, impeccable work ethics and always giving his all for the badge. He maybe thought, due to lack of experience, that all players would have the same ethics, and was confused when he saw that some players couldn’t be bothered sometimes. Instead of trying to motivate them to do better, he assumed that motivation is just there naturally, and kept trying to coach his game plan (not saying that this is what actually happened, just my impression).

I’m very sad about the sacking, but feel like it’s the best way to go, sort of the same feeling I had when he was first appointed but in reverse.
I hope he takes a break, then takes a job with a lower profile, and who knows, maybe one day he will be back. Maybe it will be JT, who seems to be taking a more cautious approach by leaning the trade before diving into the hot seat.

Until then, we keep going, onward and upwards!

Edited by yaz

Frank was better suited to the underdog role he and the team were in last year. The pressure was minimal because of the transfer ban, we had to play the youth because our old guard was past their prime and our best player had just left. There were no expectations and any trophy or top 4 was a huge bonus. In that environment Frank was maybe more relaxed because he could "learn on the job" without the traditional pressures of managing a big club(atleast for a season). 

But this season, after signing many genuinely top grade players the weight of expectation was enormous. Suddenly the time to learn on the job was over and the pressure to deliver results was huge after what we achieved last season. I think Frank felt that pressure. Maybe he needed another season of learning on the job. Had we stayed in top 4 I'm sure Frank would still be the manager. We brought in quality players in the squad and the general consensus was that we had the best squad behind Liverpool and City. We were not contenders for the league yet but were expected to challenge these 2 teams. It also hurts a bit that we haven't challenged because the league is there for the taking for anyone who can tie together a decent run of results. 

Now we see teams cycle through players and managers so quickly. Liverpool were untouchable last season yet they are struggling for top 4 this season. We were 17th the season after winning the league when Jose got sacked. Conte literally flipped a switch by changing to a back 3 and won the league but we declined equally quickly after that. Maybe thats the way football is now. The peaks and troughs come rapidly making it difficult for managers to survive the tough times. 

Im not gutted to see him go because I think he will be welcomed back once he gains experience and establishes himself as a top manager. He can walk out with his head high with what he achieved in the situation we were in. 

Did Frank deserved to be sacked now ? Maybe not. But did this job come too soon for him. Definitely yes.

Good luck to him.

I'm in the camp that thinks this is a really sad day, but probably the right decision for the good of the team. Things have been getting steadily worse in terms of performances, tactics, results and players' form, and there were definitely alarm bells when Lamps started publicly criticising the players for their effort.

I don't think his status as a club legend will be affected at all. For all the problems and mistakes that have led to this, the job did last season in bringing through the youth and getting CL football will always be a huge positive on his record.

I wonder who the club have got lined up to take over from Tuchel for the 22-23 season.

Just now, dansubrosa said:

He’ll play them every game.

I doubt it. He will choose 1 of them as he knows that they can't keep complaining forever like children. Rabiot was a more sensitive type and Tuchel just let him go for free for example. He didn't care to keep Cavani, T.Silva... He will either put things in order or he will never even have the dressing room...

I think Frank was unlucky this season, we acquired new players late with little pre-season and several were injured.

Frank chopped and changed as players went out of form with only Mount, Chilwell, Silva and Mendy being constants.

We also struggled to be clinical enough in front of goal and it was not just one player yet several.

The killer for me was the sequence in December from 12th to 28th with 5 games in 16 days, we won just 1 in five games.

I did not think we played that badly at Leicester and it was sloppy defending that cost us, the same sloppiness Frank had previously stamped out. 

I think we dropped a clanger not getting at least a point at Everton and also not beating Villa which added to the pressure as we slipped down the table.

image.thumb.png.d9b587cea5208d5377b82318c552b904.png

Lets also not forget we played on the 2nd and 8th of December  in the Champions league too!

Edited by strider6004

5 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

I'll admit that I have criticised the football and the management capabilities of the entire backroom team this season. I am certainly no plastic fan, 55 years old and been a fan since League Cup final day 1972 (Fking lost that day as well!!). I am disappointed in Frank not being successful here but i am not surprised. I will support whoever comes in for the next couple of years until they are sacked as well.

For me the issue is not the manager, its not the players, its not the board. For me its the whole ethos around modern day football. The truth is, its all sh!t. There is no pass and run football because nobody wants to run. We come up with ridiculous formations because blokes stand 25 feet apart instead of 40. There is no pattern, no style, no DNA. Our team is exactly the same as every other team playing the same sh!t boring possession based football that has no tempo and no enterprise. 85% possession and 1 shot on target, woop-de-fking-do.

Happy to be a dinosaur here. i hate possession football. It's sh*t and boring unless the opposition is woeful. In a competitive league pacy counter attacking football is far more entertaining to watch.

I don't want it to be about the manager, or the board, or the next bloke up. Because the whole fri88ing game that I love has gradually turned to the dullest beige due to this poxy generation.

Next manager. Bobby Robson of the 80's Ipswich. Anybody that has a blueprint of stylish entertaining and attractive football. Hell i don't even care that much about the winning, i just want to be able to stomach a full 90 minutes of football instead of the sterile rubbish every team seems to be serving up to us lately. Oh and don't get me started on how every pass, every assist is brilliant, fantastic, outstanding.

The pitches are better, the players are more athletic and fitter. There is more media attention and more money being pumped into the product. So why is it so bl00dy boring to watch. Take the fans out of a stadium and it suddenly becomes apparent how rubbish this "style" is. Yes, i'm a dinosaur and the dinosaurs all died out in the end. Mind you the thing about us old dinosaurs, at least every one knew we were fking here in the first place. 

I am disappointed Frank because you were a great footballer and a club legend. But in reality i am just a spectator and a fan of the club for the majority of my life and for a long time time you, along with a number of your predecessors have rarely entertained me. I hope the next bloke does, but i am not holding my breath.

Must break your heart watching Leeds. Win lose or draw, it’s never dull 😀😀

1 hour ago, JM7 said:

Danny Murphy (TalkSport): “Kovačić & Rüdiger went directly to the board to talk about Lampard.”

Matt Law: ‘Rüdiger clashed with Azpi, who attempted to bring the squad together.’

Telegraph: ‘Young players complained of bad treatment from some experienced players.’

Disgraceful.

If this is true then the board and Roman would 100% know about this, and for me there is no way the owner would except this from any players.  This whole narrative seems to be making out some players went to the board moaning cause they weren't playing and the board believed everything they said and sacked Frank.  This isn't the first time this story has been written when one of our managers is sacked, I'm starting to think its just a made up narrative that the media like to make Chelsea into some sort of player power driven club with a clueless owner.  

Maybe there was some players that weren't happy and disrupted the camp, but the idea that they could rat off to the owner and he couldn't see what the journos have just come up with is beyond idiotic.  I mean if Rüdiger did clash with Azpi for those reasons Roman and the board would know 100% what happened, and what they'd take Rudigers side?  It was kind of believable that players like Lampard, Drogba, and Cech had the power to remove a manager, but Rüdiger! It wouldn't make a difference if he never played for us again.  We know Roman is ruthless and maybe he made Lampard responsible for this problem, but surely the players to blame would also be sold off to the Siberia league and definitely not be playing for us next week.  I'm not sure I believe it, most of it sounds like its been written this morning in a rush, I mean have the media have only just decided to release this information now rather than when it happened.