Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

33 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Agreed. I for one am very happy we changed the manager this summer which kickstarted the revolution we are seeing right now.
You really get the sense that we are building something for the future now with a whole army of exciting youngsters all getting chances and all performing.

I actually don’t think any of Mount, Abraham, Hudson Odoi, James or Tomori would be at the club this season if Lampard didn’t come in and now it looks like all of them might be good enough to form the core of this team for years to come.

Also remember RLC to return and Billy Gilmour looks a proper player .

Kepa | Caballero
----------------------
Emerson | Alonso (Maatsen)
Tomori / Rudiger
Zouma / Christensen
James / Azpilicueta
----------------------
Kante | Jorginho (Ampadu)
Loftus Cheek | Kovacic (Gilmour)
----------------------
Hudson Odoi | Willian (Kenedy)
Mount / Barkley (Anjorin)
Pulisic | Pedro (Musonda)
----------------------
Abraham | Batshuayi / Giroud

| = THEN
/ = OR
()= Future/Reserve

5 hours ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

Kepa | Caballero
----------------------
Emerson | Alonso (Maatsen)
Tomori / Rudiger
Zouma / Christensen
James / Azpilicueta
----------------------
Kante | Jorginho (Ampadu)
Loftus Cheek | Kovacic (Gilmour)
----------------------
Hudson Odoi | Willian (Kenedy)
Mount / Barkley (Anjorin)
Pulisic | Pedro (Musonda)
----------------------
Abraham | Batshuayi / Giroud

| = THEN
/ = OR
()= Future/Reserve

I highly doubt Kenedy and Musonda are the future .. neither have been good enough for any of their loan clubs let alone us .... 

Other than that, it's not too bad is it !

8 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

I highly doubt Kenedy and Musonda are the future .. neither have been good enough for any of their loan clubs let alone us .... 

Other than that, it's not too bad is it !

Not 'the future' exactly but currently in reserve and who knows, they might work their way back in by doing a Victor Moses, especially considering the ages of Willian and Pedro. 

Of course I expect some big signings to come in once the ban is over but those two are still here so may as well include them for now. 

He still needs to sort out this zonal marking. That was a whisker away from costing us again today, if they’d headed that in and made it 1-1 it would have become a very different game.

This is the only real criticism I have of Franks tenure so far. We look incredibly vulnerable at set plays. As I feel a lot of the goals we conceded from open play were more individual mistakes. 

I cant wait to see us line up with all our players available. What a treat that will be!

25 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

He still needs to sort out this zonal marking. That was a whisker away from costing us again today, if they’d headed that in and made it 1-1 it would have become a very different game.

This is the only real criticism I have of Franks tenure so far. We look incredibly vulnerable at set plays. As I feel a lot of the goals we conceded from open play were more individual mistakes. 

I cant wait to see us line up with all our players available. What a treat that will be!

Set pieces have become comical. They're almost like a penalty for the other side, they're almost bound to score. Brighton's first corner well into the second half and they hit the bar, with the keeper stranded. I'm not sure Kepa's covering himself with glory either. He needs to come out and claim some of them. He just seems sh*t scared of crosses.

The other thing is how vulnerable we looked once we went ahead. It's becoming a theme, we just couldn't control the game, and we looked vulnerable, and that's possibly our easiest home league fixture this term. As you say, they score from that corner and it's a different game.

Having said that, we were well worth the win, missed a few chances first half, and we had five academy graduates on the pitch in the second half, which is amazing. First clean sheet first home win. Well done Frank.

Our pressing is poor. Some of our young lads are full of energy and desire to press and the really put tremendous pressure on the opponent and yet some of the old ''farts'' are doing nothing, their man escapes and gets the ball freely and suddenly, despite the good individual effort, they are out of trouble. This affects our defense as well since none of our players in the back knows what positioning is. 

41 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Our pressing is poor. Some of our young lads are full of energy and desire to press and the really put tremendous pressure on the opponent and yet some of the old ''farts'' are doing nothing, their man escapes and gets the ball freely and suddenly, despite the good individual effort, they are out of trouble. This affects our defense as well since none of our players in the back knows what positioning is. 

We pressed high and well for 10/15 minutes then I think the ‘old farts’ were getting knackered. That coincided with us losing a bit of control. 

6 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

Set pieces have become comical. They're almost like a penalty for the other side, they're almost bound to score. Brighton's first corner well into the second half and they hit the bar, with the keeper stranded. I'm not sure Kepa's covering himself with glory either. He needs to come out and claim some of them. He just seems sh*t scared of crosses.

The other thing is how vulnerable we looked once we went ahead. It's becoming a theme, we just couldn't control the game, and we looked vulnerable, and that's possibly our easiest home league fixture this term. As you say, they score from that corner and it's a different game.

Having said that, we were well worth the win, missed a few chances first half, and we had five academy graduates on the pitch in the second half, which is amazing. First clean sheet first home win. Well done Frank.

I know you hate him with a passion now davey, but Jose made a shrewd point last week after the Liverpool game. We are not a tall side. We are lacking height as a unit in midfield, and any players with natural aerial aggression. 

I too would ditch a zonal system and give individual responsibility man for man. But I still think we would be vulnerable at set-pieces. We have no JT, Cahill, Drogba, Ivanovich anymore. Zouma is the only one who comes close.

Edited by just

1 hour ago, just said:

I know you hate him with a passion now davey, but Jose made a shrewd point last week after the Liverpool game. We are not a tall side. We are lacking height as a unit in midfield, and any players with natural aerial aggression. 

I too would ditch a zonal system and give individual responsibility man for man. But I still think we would be vulnerable at set-pieces. We have no JT, Cahill, Drogba, Ivanovich anymore. Zouma is the only one who comes close.

Spot on just. We just don't have the height in our team. It's one of the biggest reasons we are missing Rudiger and Ruben. Jose's thing was to always have at least 4 tall outfield players in the PL for exactly that reason. 

I think the zonal marking is a consequence of the lack of height. We can't go man for man because we're not tall and physical enough. Have to try a different way. 

Yes it's true we lack height but I think even more reason to go man for man. With man for man you can block your man or you can grapple with him a little bit or obstruct him, basically do what you got to do to stop him. With zonal there's no obstruction at all, and with our lack of height, that's fatal.

Not a fan of the zonal marking either however it was not why Brighton should have scored from the corner. The lad who got the header is 6"5, who do you put on him to man mark? Good ball means marking is irrelevant with height like that. 

Only complaint for Frank today is why o why did you bring Batman on? Game is done, Reece James should have come on for his first PL appearance.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Only complaint for Frank today is why o why did you bring Batman on? Game is done, Reece James should have come on for his first PL appearance.

Looking for our first clean sheet of the season and not wanting to mess with the defence maybe?

Frank said in an interview he wants zonal marking because it is easy to double and screen in man to man marking. He said it very quickly and unconvincingly. It felt it is not his idea or he isn't totally conviced that is the way to defend set pieces...

In Rudiger's interview a month ago he was asked what he thought of the gaffer and the style of play, Rudi said he is used to play man marking but he thought it is what the gaffer wants so this is how we play now. Not the best thing to say...

Both cases indicate we don't know what we are doing and it could be bye bye zonal at one point.

We are leaking goals especially in set pieces in alarming rate. Can't be all about the players.

I suspect Frank is working on getting Kepa to come and clear and wants to see how that works with the zonal system before discarding it.

Listening to BBC pundits Dublin and Keown they pointed out our set piece defending was so bad we did not have anyone on the front post to clear meaning the flick-on was an easy option for the opposition.

Frank needs to work on this quickly as don't think Southampton or Newcastle will necessarily capitalise though Burnley will.

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Not a fan of the zonal marking either however it was not why Brighton should have scored from the corner. The lad who got the header is 6"5, who do you put on him to man mark? Good ball means marking is irrelevant with height like that. 

As Davey said, it’s not just about beating them in the air, it’s about the pressure on the attacker, the little niggles you can put it. His run might have been blocked and he doesn’t get to the header. 

A 5”10 attacker running on to the ball has a much better chance of beating a 6”2 defender from a standing start, it puts us at an automatic disadvantage. We do lack height but that’s an even stronger reason to go man marking. We look like conceding at set pieces at least once a game when the ball goes in the box.

7 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Looking for our first clean sheet of the season and not wanting to mess with the defence maybe?

Did he need to take a defender off to bring James on? Mount was pretty dead on his feet and James would have been an asset defensively in midfield.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

As Davey said, it’s not just about beating them in the air, it’s about the pressure on the attacker, the little niggles you can put it. His run might have been blocked and he doesn’t get to the header. 

A 5”10 attacker running on to the ball has a much better chance of beating a 6”2 defender from a standing start, it puts us at an automatic disadvantage. We do lack height but that’s an even stronger reason to go man marking. We look like conceding at set pieces at least once a game when the ball goes in the box.

I agree mate I am just saying in the case of a giant and having no one like Drogba in our team a quality ball is going to find his head.

15 hours ago, just said:

That’s a cracking point I remember either conte or sarri saying they couldn’t start Emerson over alonso because of height, be solved when RLC is back.

Small Potatoes but I have my U18s defend zonally on corners exactly because we lack height. If other teams pick out their tall players for corners it at least gives us a chance of being on the spot and attacking the ball before that attacker gets there.

Idk if switching would be of help for Chelsea but I trust Frank to know which is better for the team right now. This is one area being a former player helps shape tactics. He knows what's coming and how to defend it from experience. 

7 hours ago, Sindre said:

Class of `19

The future is bright.

The most exciting thing if it all comes together is the chemistry between them all.

At youth level that's what gave them the serious edge over the other top academy sides, even City containing Sancho and Foden couldn't live with the link up play and movement.