Jack Grealish

forbzy

But what is the point.  How much do they stand to win any way. All these clubs, including us, have proven that there is little glory to winning nowadays, its all just a return on investment.  So what is the point in investing 500m, say, on a team that can only win a maximum of 100m in prize money. Like I say the kudos has gone. We're CL winners. So what. A new competition starts again in a couple of months. Surely we are now at the point where the player expenditure is pointless. 

Plenty of glory in winning. Yes there is lots of money but the thrill of watching top teams play remains. I’m 67 and watch and enjoy watching football more than ever. And I’ve been following the game since the fa cup was on radio only in Australia. I support and attend my local Sydney fc club home games but frankly I enjoy watching Chelsea on tv at least as much, probably more in truth. 

money like skill is only one ingredient, look at psg. 

On 31/07/2021 at 21:05, enigma said:

How do City do it without ever selling any players? They barely sell anybody and yet evry summer they seem to be able to spend £100-150m+ 

Because they took UEFA to court over FFP and basically won, that's why.

UEFA learned that FFP is practically unenforceable in its current format. Even with the amount of evidence that UEFA took to CAS, the investigation took so long that many of the best charges were time-barred. The court cases themselves can take so long that the punishment, if it is ever realised, will only happen years after the charges are laid. Man City clearly knew the above and stalled through a refusal to hand over investigations or evidence.

The most UEFA could charge them with was a failure to cooperate, which only attracts a fine.

COVID-recessions have been a boon for them.  3 years ago the likes of Jesus, Laporte, Bernardo Silva etc would be long gone to Juve or Spain at the first hint of a lack of playing time - Leroy Sane, case in point. Now, they're stuck with players they don't need to offload because no one can afford them.

On 29/07/2021 at 11:37, junkymunky said:

The not won a trophy argument is so bad, there are plenty of world class players who play for terrible clubs that just wont be in contention to win trophies. Look at Kane for example.. 

He cant help being surrounded by dross, but if you cant see hes a good player then there's no point continuing this conversation

There are many be 25 world class players in world football to say plenty of them play for terrible clubs is really far from reality. 

3 hours ago, junkymunky said:

If hes at bad as some of you try to claim, why have City just broken their transfer record to get him? 

Who's saying he is bad though? People are saying he is overrated, but that doesn't mean they think he is bad. People have been talking like he is one of the best players in the world, but that just isn't the case. City throwing £100m at Villa to get him doesn't change that fact either.

On 31/07/2021 at 19:45, PloKoon13 said:

We haven't had the best team in the league since 2015. Since then, following every success, we have failed spectacularly to build upon them. Our management appear to have taken the view of 'how can we trim and still win?' as opposed to the more realistic view of 'what do we need to add to this to keep it successful?' It has happened repeatedly; we keep making the same mistakes and don't learn from them. 

I don't think not spending is our problem, our problem is more on our ridiculous bad record on signing expensive players and it really hinder our team progress. What happen with us was we signed a st for 50 m, instead of signing maybe a cb the following year for 80 m, we need to spend 100 m to sign another st. 

Imagine if kepa, werner, Jorginho, Pulisic are Alison, salah, Fabinho, mane. We are probably one cb away from having a complete and dominant team. 

11 hours ago, junkymunky said:

If hes at bad as some of you try to claim, why have City just broken their transfer record to get him? 

We broke the GK transfer record for Kepa so if I were you I wouldn't start gloating just now 😂.

Edited by True Blue23

16 hours ago, Bob stark said:

This is a very curious transfer but now that Pep confirmed that B Silva wanted to leave it make so much sense 

I consider Silva the superior player, by some margin I might add. 

No idea why he isn't the fist name on the team sheet at Citeh. 

9 minutes ago, Valerie said:

@mojo I'm only halfway through my first coffee, and you present me with an exposed Grealish crotch :rant:. I'm not sure I will ever be able to forgive you for this :angry037:

sorry, I know it'a early but I just couldn't resist it. if we put aside his crotch, his hairy legs and socks without pads (that's how he plays) just makes me wanna ..

9 minutes ago, mojo said:

sorry, I know it'a early but I just couldn't resist it. if we put aside his crotch, his hairy legs and socks without pads (that's how he plays) just makes me wanna ..

Still give him a nasty kick?