Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

"Fernando Torres looks to be closing on a move to AC Milan after his agent revealed positive talks with the Serie A club.

The Chelsea striker is reported to have agreed a two-year deal with the Rossoneri, with the Blues believed to have accepted a £10m bid, having rejected Milan’s original offer of a loan move.

‘The meeting has been positive. Torres at Milan is a possibility,’ said the Spaniard’s agent Antonio Sanz.

‘We will take time to reflect before giving an answer. Milan are a great side.’

However, despite Torres and AC Milan reaching an agreement, Chelsea may yet be wary of allowing the 30-year-old to depart the club, with rumours of Diego Costa suffering a hamstring injury.

But if Torres is allowed to leave west London, Blues boss Jose Mourinho could move for Roma striker Mattia Destro before next Monday’s transfer deadline."

This is 3 hours old, though not sure what insight the metro has. Sounds like a real maybe. I always wanted Nando to succeed and remember the euphoria at the bridge when he finally got that first goal against west ham. He had a great chant at the time. Sadly though if he goes he will be remembered along with Chris Sutton, Robert fleck, sheva, and others as a striker the crowd willed on but never lived up to our hopes.

I hope for his sake he can find a bit of his old magic, but it hope for our sake his search is elsewhere from now on.

Guest RFC_CFC

Usually we sign replacements before selling but I wonder if due to Torres massive wages on this occasion we can't.

Assuming we do want a replacement it could be a late deal, I'll be feeling nervous about.

There has to be a replacement, otherwise we wouldn't sell/loan him.

The Bamford loan to deal to Middlesborough still hasn't gone through - could it be they are waiting to see what happens with Torres first? (pure speculation from me and based on prevous history more likely they will splash out on someone new)

What's all this talk about a severance/pay off? Surely it's just sensationalised gossip by the media? I can't imagine Torres or his representatives having the dignity to ask for something like that when he gave nothing to this club.

Edited by cfc88

What's all this talk about a severance/pay off? Surely it's just sensationalised gossip by the media? I can't imagine Torres or his representatives having the dignity to ask for something like that when he gave nothing to this club.

If anybody believes any media person knows whats happening in negotiations (if any) they are silly.

'Gave nothing' is also a massively off the mark. Hate the guy all you want but he did help the club to a couple trophies. One was quite a big one too.

Edited by Stim

Yeah he has two memorable goals to his name that were important, but we will all be relieved to see the back of him should he sign for Milan.

He was an absolutely awful buy in the end unfortunately, shame because I was excited when we got him. Lets hope we don't make many more mistakes of this magnitude in the future.

What's all this talk about a severance/pay off?

More likely we'll have to pay up a portion of his contract that's still left. It's a contract that we were happy enough to give him, and we're obliged to honour it. Perhaps it'll teach us to exercise more caution in future.

More likely we'll have to pay up a portion of his contract that's still left. It's a contract that we were happy enough to give him, and we're obliged to honour it. Perhaps it'll teach us to exercise more caution in future.

Yeah I think we will pay the difference in salary for two years between what he earns here and what he will earn there

Rumours on twitter are that it is a 2 year loan with chelsea picking up part of the wages.. Who knows

Guest RFC_CFC

Tony Gale just said he thinks we won't buy another striker till January as it is to late but gonna need one if Torres leaves

Well he's an idiot because no top team goes into a season with just 2 strikers...one of whom is 36 years old.

Yeah he has two memorable goals to his name that were important, but we will all be relieved to see the back of him should he sign for Milan.

He scored a few! In addition to his goals against Barca and Benfica, he also got the opener against Arsenal one season (I remember him wrapping himself around Koscielny to poke it in), the brace against Schalke last year, which happened around the same time as his ridiculous last-minute winner against City (which almost ruined Joe Hart's career), and let's not forget his hat-trick against QPR. Generally speaking his impact on our performances was extremely negative, but he did have his moments...

Also he got sent off against Tottenham for (to put it generously) slapping Vertonghen - I have very few positives to say about Torres' attitude but at least he got that right!

For me, his best performance for us by some distance has to be against City at the Bridge last season. That 15 minute period toward the end of the first half was truly world class. No surprise it happened under Mourinho by the way.

http://vimeo.com/77971380

I'd forgotten how bloody good he was in that game - like a different player!  (well, apart from the shocking miss in the first half!)