Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Maybe this is a stupid question. Why haven't the fitness coaches worked more on his stamina? More hours in the gym, more interval training on grass, etc.

It's definitely something he can improve. I'm thinking of how in tennis the young Andy Murray used to cramp up in long matches, but he worked on it with his fitness coaches and became one fo the fittest tennis pros on the circuit.

Shame Lampard isn't still around to mentor RLC.

"Everyone's been very welcoming. I talk to everyone and all the guys are great, but I've become pretty close with Ruben Loftus-Cheek on and off the pitch. We tend to hit long balls after training, work on our weaker foot and he's next to me in the changing room, so we talk a lot and we've become good friends." -Matt Miazga

Fast friends staying late after training, good on them.

In the same article Matt also says JT has been mentoring him sooooo just another story about how good John does at welcoming in young players

Fast friends staying late after training, good on them.

In the same article Matt also says JT has been mentoring him sooooo just another story about how good John does at welcoming in young players

JT is irreplaceable. Conte doesn't seem like an approachable guy, and his English isn't that good anyway. If JT leaves, the youth players will be left to figure things out for themselves in a complicated environment.

How ironic that thinking about the long term and thinking about youth development actually leads to the conclusion to keep one of our oldest players.

Strange him asking to be subbed.

You would think he'd want to stay out there as long as he could to improve his chances. He's a young guy so surely it's not fitness/stamina related.

I have a feeling that Conte would take such a request poorly and not keep him in the bench indefinitely. I can understand if a coach reacts that way, and to be honest I might react that way too in that situation.

That's a situation in which JT might be able to speak to Ruben and advise him not to make those statements and then speak with Conte on Ruben's behalf to tell him that Ruben's been working with the fitness coaches so I think you should give him another chance, it'll hurt the club if he doesn't get experience, etc.

JT still has so much to contribute both on and off the field. In this year of uncertainty, it doesn't make sense to get rid of him.

Strange him asking to be subbed.

You would think he'd want to stay out there as long as he could to improve his chances. He's a young guy so surely it's not fitness/stamina related.

Was watching old highlights and saw Dennis Wise asking to be subbed, someone I wouldn't expect to do that, though I think he was trying to waste some time to be honest, Roy Hodgson lost his marbles.

I thought he was okay yesterday.

For a player as young as him to be performing noticeably better than the senior players shows he's developing nicely.

Hopefully he starts the remaining fixtures this season by then i think we'll have a good idea of how ready he is to play for Chelsea.

From his performance yesterday I think playing him behind the striker or as a number 10 is not the best position for him as he was unable to provide any service to Costa throughout 90minutes.

Am his biggest fan but he disappointed me yesterday because he was receiving the ball a lot in front of the 18 yard box but he was unable to create any chance. He is still young and can still improve so I think playing him a little deeper will help him as he has a good height and he won't have the huge responsibility to be the one to give that final pass.

It's very hard for a young player to make a telling contribution when the senior players are failing collectively mentally and physically. Yesterday the whole structure of the team was wrong,no one took control of the situation, Reuben fell into the same malaise despite some good early movement and touches. I'd bare with him now, put him in a performing side and I'm sure we would see improvement. The one thing certain in young players is they are inconsistent, patience is now the key.

Still have faith but haven't seen anything to suggest he'll be great for us, seemed slow to anticipate and react to situations yesterday and failed to test Joe Hart when given the opportunity. Hope to still see him start our remaining games, but reckon a loan would be good for him next season - mistakes/missed opportunities at this level cost points.

Edited by the special one

Still have faith but haven't seen anything to suggest he'll be great for us, seemed slow to anticipate and react to situations yesterday and failed to test Joe Hart when given the opportunity. Hope to still see him start our remaining games, but reckon a loan would be good for him next season - mistakes/missed opportunities at this level cost points.

By this logic we should be sending out all 25 players out on loan next season. It's shocking to see how little patience fans have with players nowadays, this isn't directly aimed at you, it's aimed at everybody.

Edited by timetowaste

He had our best chance yesterday with his turn and shot, how that wasn't given as a corner was bizarre when Hart clearly had pulled off a good save.

He had our best chance yesterday with his turn and shot, how that wasn't given as a corner was bizarre when Hart clearly had pulled off a good save.

That was a good start (something I failed to give him credit for in my post above tbf) but in the second half he also skied an effort from outside the box and failed to make good contact from a cross. I can accept he's 20, needs opportunities to improve and even Barkley/Draxler/De Bruyne (as an example) make mistakes/miss opportunities, but conversely he needs to show something to suggest he can help us compete at the highest level. For me he had an opportunity to make a name for himself yesterday and didn't take it. 

Edited by the special one

That was a good start (something I failed to give him credit for in my post above tbf) but in the second half he also skied an effort from outside the box and failed to make good contact from a cross. I can accept he's 20, needs opportunities to improve and even Barkley/Draxler/De Bruyne (as an example) make mistakes/miss opportunities, but conversely he needs to show something to suggest he can help us compete at the highest level. For me he had an opportunity to make a name for himself yesterday and didn't take it.

Bet the same was being said by many about de Bruyne two years ago...

I actually think he wasn't that bad. He hasn't made many mistakes, he always was available for balls, his movement towards the ball was good. Of course, there were few errors but he finally starts to play regularly, give him more time to prove himself. More minutes will give him more confidence, more experience and will make him a better player.