Thibaut Courtois

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

My issue with TBo has never been his ability, obviiously when he is on his game he is a top 3-4 keeper in the world. But his attitude has seemed to be not the best and a tad on the selfish side (I hate calling someone selfish when I've never been in the position he is in, but there has to be some sort of professional courtesy) always flirting with going to Madrid and some of the answers he's given to reporters asking about his future. I get wanting to be with your kids and family, that makes total sense. I hate to lose a top keeper but at this rate, if he really did go AWOL, Chelsea should do what's in their own best interest and if they get a keeper in then sell him. If they can't get a keeper until January, then sit his butt on the bench and don't play him. He can go to RM in January or go next summer for free.

34 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

If that is true, then he's a bit of a dick really. If he wanted to go, why not just say at the end of last season instead of waiting until less than a week before the transfer window closes? We have been waiting for him to make his mind up on if he wants to sign a new deal or not for over a year now. He's had plenty of time to decide, but it seems like he left it as late as possible.

If there's any truth that he's deliberately gone AWOL then f**k the c**t, keep him for another year and just ban him from the team/Cobham.

Edited by the special one

We've got ourselves into this mess by not selling him sooner. All the signs were there and  It's the same with Conte. We should of sacked him earlier if our intentions were always Sari. Now we have Butland as the favourite to step in, there is no time to pursue other targets. Butland is the easy option.

We've have got into a habit of leaving things to the last minute lately and we are interested in replacing the best keeper at the World Cup with a keeper playing in the Championship. That's the reality of the situation. We should of sold him a lot sooner and been more vigorous in pursuing someone like Alisson. I am not ruling out Butland or whoever as a success for us but we've left it too late and that is becoming a common theme. Whoever is handling transfers for us over the past couple of seasons needs to buck up or step down. It seems we are trying our hardest to save money in certain situations and then we go blow it on signings that take us backwards and not forwards.

I don't see the point in spending 30-40m on Butland, when he's likely to have to be replaced in a year anyway.

This is a new era with Sarri, why not take a risk and play Bulka. Maybe he'll be sh*t and we'll have to use Cabellero until Jan, or maybe he'll be our Donnarumma and take the league by storm at an early age. Who knows. But I know spending big money Butland isn't the answer, just like it wasn't for Drinkwater or Bakayoko or Zappacosta or numerous other average players.

10 minutes ago, cRyptic said:

"Loan him to Derby and tell Frank to shove him in their reserves."

Not my comment but I totally agree, what a pitiful human being if Matt Law's report is true. 

Wouldn't even give him a loan... if he has no professional courtesy he can train alone for a year as our player under contract. If he wants out sooner he can buy out his contract. f**k him.

Edited by the special one

2 hours ago, abramovich said:

How about he waited until the last few days of the transfer window before letting the club know he wants to leave? Knowing full well he's got only a year left on his contract. He treated us well? Like hell he did.

I remember Ronaldo at MU desperately wanting to leave for Real and Fergie denying him the move. But a year later he got his wish. It turned out later that he got verbal agreement with United that he'll be allowed to leave the following summer and they've got at the time the world record transfer fee from Madrid because his contract situation put them in a strong negotiating position. That's what I call treating your club well.

We sent Cech to the bench to make way for Courtois and eventually sold Big Pete to Arse. We treated Tibo very well all these years. He's just repaid with sh*t.

Clubs generally release/leak information like this towards the end of the window to make the player look bad despite knowing long ago the player wants to leave.

Not saying that's what happened here but it's worth remembering. 

I think the way he has gone about it has annoyed people. He could have gone to the club and said that he would sign a new deal with the agreement that he could leave in say a years time. But no, he has led the club on and now gone AWOL. 

Very poor, he won’t ever be the number one keeper in the world with an attitude like that. 

These Belguims are all the same. 

Edited by JM7

9 minutes ago, Sheva said:

We've got ourselves into this mess by not selling him sooner. All the signs were there and  It's the same with Conte. We should of sacked him earlier if our intentions were always Sari. Now we have Butland as the favourite to step in, there is no time to pursue other targets. Butland is the easy option.

We've have got into a habit of leaving things to the last minute lately and we are interested in replacing the best keeper at the World Cup with a keeper playing in the Championship. That's the reality of the situation. We should of sold him a lot sooner and been more vigorous in pursuing someone like Alisson. I am not ruling out Butland or whoever as a success for us but we've left it too late and that is becoming a common theme. Whoever is handling transfers for us over the past couple of seasons needs to buck up or step down. It seems we are trying our hardest to save money in certain situations and then we go blow it on signings that take us backwards and not forwards.

I see the logic in what you're saying, but it's a bit tricky. It's all well and good to say we should have sold him sooner but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes. Courtois is a world class keeper, there aren't many like him around and they aren't easy to replace. Top clubs don't want to sell their best assets, and for a good reason.

For us even to entertain the idea of letting him go in the past we'd have had to have at least a ready replacement of the same quality and hopefully not lose money in the process. Real probably weren't desperate to land Courtois and were just biding their time keeping in touch with his agent and planning to get him on the cheap. Now they're making their move and offer very little because we're up against it due to the contract issue and the player forcing the move with only days left in the window.

15 minutes ago, Zeta said:

I don't see the point in spending 30-40m on Butland, when he's likely to have to be replaced in a year anyway.

This is a new era with Sarri, why not take a risk and play Bulka. Maybe he'll be sh*t and we'll have to use Cabellero until Jan, or maybe he'll be our Donnarumma and take the league by storm at an early age. Who knows. But I know spending big money Butland isn't the answer, just like it wasn't for Drinkwater or Bakayoko or Zappacosta or numerous other average players.

Absolutely. Bulka has looked really good. If it doesnt work out play Caballero. With the Empoli team Sarri's hands were forced to play a few youngsters like Hysaj and Rugani. Now both are great talents. Odoi, Bulka and Ampadu seem to have no fear at all playing at this level. 

Guest Sindre

Looks like Butland is the one we are going for. What a disaster of a replacement that would be. The club can't have seen his "performance" for Stoke against Leeds the other day.

Should have gone for Allison when we had the chance.