Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

why be a hard man when being a wind up merchant followed by a *insert whatever negative* benefits himself and probably also the team?

(you could however argue that this tactic has backfired on him now though - his 'reputation' so to speak hasn't come from nothing)

anyone playing like hughes today can maybe claim the status 'brave', but will also claim the status 'stupid' in a sport where winning is above all.

why be a hard man when being a wind up merchant followed by a *insert whatever negative* benefits himself and probably also the team?

But he isn't even a wind up merchant, most defenders can handle him physically without much of a problem, so it ends up with him losing his rag. 

Yes but its appearance and demeanour as Toughie that helps him unsettle players, they concentrate on him can leave others to operate...

I see it as the opposite.

I think opposing managers tell their players to concentrate on him because they know how easy it is to wind him up and once they get under his skin he is liable to do something stupid and start whining on to the ref.

I think opposing managers tell their players to concentrate on him because they know how easy it is to wind him up and once they get under his skin he is liable to do something stupid and start whining on to the ref.

I don't think Costa is easy to wind up at all, Costa finds it easy to wind up other players, Costa has crossed the line a few times in his Chelsea career but more often then not, Costa is in control and knows exactly what he is doing and get the reaction he wants from opposition players.

Yup. There have been games where he has looked more interested in wrestling and "ego-ball" of who gets the most kicks than actual football.

Stoke game comes to mind where Shawcross really got under his skin.

A proper w**ker at times today, i won't defend him there, but that is 2 games in row where he has scored a crucial goal for us. He's scoring, which is what we need from him.

We really need to keep him in the box or running one on one with the keeper though. Anything in front of the defense just breaks down.

You won't be saying that when he gets him self stupidly sent off in a big game and costs us. It will happen.

Funny, if this was close to a decade ago might think you were talking about Drogba. Turns out the prediction was true too..... still don't know a single CFC fan who regrets it though...

I'm with coco. Costa might be a giant w**ker growing off of a bell end but he's also a very fantastic player on his day and just so happens to be our fantastic w**ker of a player.

Edited by Barry Bridges

You won't be saying that when he gets him self stupidly sent off in a big game and costs us. It will happen.

We all know by now if nothing is going for us he'll force the issue and push it right up to the limit. 

He won't do it if he got some service, when you look back at previous games when we slaughtered the opponents he behaves appropriately.

The more starved he is the more crazy he gets, if you ask him to toe the line we'd probably be sitting here with 2 points or less.

I thought he was poor today, but he does what all top strikers do, pops up with the winning goal and grabs the headlines.

Although there wasnt great service today, on 2 occasions he should have anticipated the ball across goal better, particularly hazards cross in the 1st half.

He could score easily 10 tap ins a season if he just gambled on the ball flashing across the 6 yard line.