Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

when we were signing costa I thought that we'd be getting a really straightforward center forward; good in the air, decent at holding the ball up, mobile with good movement and penalty box finishing.

I didn't expect him to have certain qualities that drogba had- to be a threat from 30 yards out, to be able to occupy two defenders with no support inside 40 yards, to be able to produce spectacular goals when there wasn't any conceivable way of scoring.

I did hope he would compensate for being a little unremarkable when you compare him to the top strikers at big clubs by being consistent. drogba was a 10/10 striker sometimes. but he also had games (and seasons) which would not reflect how good a player he truly was. I thought that costa would come in and just do the simple things and that would be enough given the quality of creative players around him. and for a while he did. unfortunately this season he has ceased to do that, which makes him look incredibly ordinary. he isn't capable of doing the things I mentioned that drogba can do. he isn't as clever or refined as crespo, as multifaceted as henry, ronaldo or shevchenko, as technically flawless as van persie, raul or lewandowski, as cold blooded as van nistelrooy or falcao... and so on.

if you are going to be the primary goalscoring player at a big club you have to be special. what made costa special was his combination of unrelenting persistence and consistently doing the simple things well. this season he has spent much of his time standing left of center picking fights with defenders. it makes him look grossly unqualified for the role. as I've said before I do feel jose is largely responsible in the final analysis for what has happened. but I've never seen him go to bat for a player as much as he has for costa. it is hard to accept him openly screaming at jose from the pitch or tossing a bib about given the arguably preferential protection he was given by his manager.

We should have been 4 or 5 up before Sunderland had a shot at us if Costa played up to his standard last year. He needs to be dropped, it's simple as that, exactly the same scenario as Torres 3 years ago. We will keep dropping points unless he's dropped, or he started to play a lot better. He's just not interested in scoring goals.

He made the runs that he wasn't doing previously and like all forwards a goal raises the confidence. Thought he was unlucky too in getting booked as he clearly slipped going into the challenge, this when you consider Marriner thought the Behami didn't deserve a booking for the challenge on Hazard.

We should have been 4 or 5 up before Sunderland had a shot at us if Costa played up to his standard last year. He needs to be dropped, it's simple as that, exactly the same scenario as Torres 3 years ago. We will keep dropping points unless he's dropped, or he started to play a lot better. He's just not interested in scoring goals.

3092365-3glihk.jpg

I couldn't care less any more. You play for the club and fans, not the manager, he showed us his true colours, f**k him, quicker he goes the better.

Need him to continue this upward curve if we are to get rid. A season without it and the clubs that could afford him will likely not touch him.

We need him to play well to move him on imo.

I do agree with you though. Jose sadly got what comes to a manager when they and the team fail at a side that expects better. I would like to see the same fate happen to a good amount of this squad between now and the close of the summer window.

While I do not expect anywhere near this amount of departures, I do think the following should be on borrowed time: Oscar, Costa, Cesc, Matic, Brana for certain. The jury is out for me for the remainder of the season of players like Pedro, Cahill, Ramires, Baba.

Pretty sure Remy will be off though, more so than anyone else at the club.

While he's here I will support him and if that's for many years to come then fine as long as he scores goals. I just don't know if I can ever love him like I have past players. Although let's not forget our hero Drogba had his fair share of bad moments here, i.e. speaking out about wanting to leave several times, controversies with diving, the paddy he had on the pitch with Frank Lampard in the 8-0 win over Wigan and let's nor forget his own share of bad spells under different managers.

While he's here I will support him and if that's for many years to come then fine as long as he scores goals. I just don't know if I can ever love him like I have past players. Although let's not forget our hero Drogba had his fair share of bad moments here, i.e. speaking out about wanting to leave several times, controversies with diving, the paddy he had on the pitch with Frank Lampard in the 8-0 win over Wigan and let's nor forget his own share of bad spells under different managers.

Spot on Mate

I was surprised by his reaction when he was kicked intentionally by a player and he rose up like nothing happened. Seems he has stopped FIGHTING!

Yes today he didn't once look for a fight only the score and i think that caught the palace players by surprise they didn't know how to handle him then

Can't help but notice his reactions, or lack of reaction, to being constantly fouled.  It, again, makes me wonder about the mentality of some of the players under Jose?  Did Jose have them all hyped on the us-versus-them that it caused Diego to look for things that weren't there?