Tammy Abraham

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

His pressing is pretty good, I'd be ok with Michy starting and Abraham coming on to really run at a tired defense.  Let Giroud start all the domestic cup games and maybe a couple of the CL group stage.

I'm conflicted with Tammy.  I think he is full of potential, but consistency will be an issue with his play.  I want him to do well, but I'm not sure he is the long term answer.  Batshuayi and Giroud certainly are not.  I think we need to take our war chest and buy a top striker next summer, unless Tammy ups his game and shows something different over the course of this season.  Even with a big buy at the striker position, I think we can keep Tammy around and still give him plenty of game time.

Morata and Higuain were given game after game to score and be effective with little return, so let’s be patient with Tammy for a few games. He could still be substituted during a game if it wasn’t happening for him, so if we needed a goal someone could come on to change things but at least keep starting him

Morata and Higuain were given game after game to score and be effective with little return, so let’s be patient with Tammy for a few games. He could still be substituted during a game if it wasn’t happening for him, so if we needed a goal someone could come on to change things but at least keep starting him

I like the progress I have seen by him between Bristol and then Villa.  I hope he can continue refining his craft.

Lampard has talked pretty heavily about intensity in all areas of the pitch; therefore, I think that's giving Tammy the slight edge over Bats and Giroud.  That doesn't mean I think Tammy will start against Man U.

I could see Lampard try and use a mixture of options up front and I think Tammy and Bats could be decent if needed.

I like the progress I have seen by him between Bristol and then Villa.  I hope he can continue refining his craft.

Lampard has talked pretty heavily about intensity in all areas of the pitch; therefore, I think that's giving Tammy the slight edge over Bats and Giroud.  That doesn't mean I think Tammy will start against Man U.

I could see Lampard try and use a mixture of options up front and I think Tammy and Bats could be decent if needed.

If he's given regular starts I don't see why he wouldn't be able to score about 15 league goals for us this season, which for a debut season would be a more than respectful return. 
Morata couldn't. He was given all the chances. Toughest league in the world.

If he's given regular starts I don't see why he wouldn't be able to score about 15 league goals for us this season, which for a debut season would be a more than respectful return. 

37 minutes ago, evissy said:
1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

difference is that once Morata missed his first sitter he would go into his shell and start doing that floppy arm from the floor stuff. Tammy seems to have a bit more grit about him 

On 06/08/2019 at 08:36, ForeverCarefree said:

If he starts 38 league games he will score 15-20 minimum, probably 6+ penalties coming his way with VAR. I would throw Tammy in the deep end, sink or swim after 38 games he either drowns or wins gold.

Giroud European games. Michy off the bench all games.

People were patient with Higuain because he was at one stage regarded as a world-class striker and thrived under Sarri at Napoli.

With Morata, likewise because he was a 60m+ signing who also played for Real and Juventus and who also showed some glimpses of top quality in the early games. 

The worry is with Abraham, fans might not have that patience because there's not really as high a regard for his abilities and past accomplishments as the other two.

Or... Everyone has very low expectations anyway and won't be too fussed, especially as he's an academy product and there's a transfer ban. 

For Abraham to thrive, there needs to be a lot of quality delivered into the box. Lots of crosses. If there's enough of that and enough bodies join him in the area, I reckon he'll get a decent amount. 

Edited by GhostOfDembaBa

18 hours ago, coco said:

If he starts 38 league games he will score 15-20 minimum, probably 6+ penalties coming his way with VAR. I would throw Tammy in the deep end, sink or swim after 38 games he either drowns or wins gold.

Giroud European games. Michy off the bench all games.

Giroud European games? We are not in Europa. Imagine drawing a Bayern & sticking Giroud up front.

His role should be limited to 20-30mins off the bench, we know what we will get out of him.

10 hours ago, ducavis said:

Giroud European games? We are not in Europa. Imagine drawing a Bayern & sticking Giroud up front.

His role should be limited to 20-30mins off the bench, we know what we will get out of him.

Among our set of strikers, Giroud is the only one capable of holding the ball against the physical defenders.

On 09/08/2019 at 12:47, GhostOfDembaBa said:

People were patient with Higuain because he was at one stage regarded as a world-class striker and thrived under Sarri at Napoli.

I don't think that's true, a lot of people had written off Higuain before he'd even kicked a ball for us!

I think Abraham is in a really good position. We finally have a manager whose MO is to give chances to young players, plus expectations are [relatively] low due to our lack of transfer activity, the loss of Hazard, and the preposterous dominance of Man City and Liverpool. They are lowered further by how substandard our centre forwards have been in recent years. He is going to get chances and he's going to get an opportunity to learn. As he is a black centre forward who is over 6'1, he is also inevitably going to be compared to Didier, regardless of his style of play or how good he turns out to be.

I like that he's taken the #9 shirt, which suggests a certain amount of hubris which is healthy to see in a striker. I also like that he's remained committed to his dream of getting into our squad, rather than jumping onto the first ship on which he made any headway. I like that he keeps improving as a player. I like that he's quite good at everything (compared to Giroud and Batshuayi for example, both of whom excel in individual areas). I think we have every reason to be optimistic about Abraham, and a lot of reason to like him.

Tammy is the best fit for us as a striker that can play leading the line. I expect him to start.

Lampard will likely play an out and out attacking midfielder unlike Sarri or Conte so that should give us another goal route.

I would expect Giroud to come on with 15 mins to go if we need a goal and if we are losing think both Giroud and Bats will come on.

Tammy has a lot to learn at this level. Needs to improve his strength and hold up play, be prepared to gamble more in the penalty area and when clear chances come, put the ball in the net. Some may say he was unlucky hitting the post, top strikers score those chances and we have a different game on our hands.

14 minutes ago, charierre said:

Tammy has a lot to learn at this level. Needs to improve his strength and hold up play, be prepared to gamble more in the penalty area and when clear chances come, put the ball in the net. Some may say he was unlucky hitting the post, top strikers score those chances and we have a different game on our hands.

I think it's harsh to complain about the shot that hit the post, it was a good strike. He definitely should have got to Azpilicueta's cross though, he didn't react to the cross until it was too late.

18 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think it's harsh to complain about the shot that hit the post, it was a good strike. He definitely should have got to Azpilicueta's cross though, he didn't react to the cross until it was too late.

The goal frame is always considered to be the goal keepers last line of defence. Tammy had a clear shot on goal with time to aim, fine margins...