Deadline Day Drama

Zeta
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

What a strange window. Glad it's over to be honest. I'm ok with what we've done. I think we have a strong XI, and a handful of good options off the bench now.

We obviously need Bats to step up when he gets his chances since we failed to get Llorente (which was one of the most disappointing occurrences in this window). But the biggest gripe is we did nothing to address the gaping hole that is LWB cover. I'm fine with Alonso number one choice. He's really solid...but to go in with Kennedy as second choice is concerning. Maybe since Rahman is here, he will be registered, and if he recovers well, he can be our second choice. He has potential, but probably won't be ready until January anyway.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

Well it's something at least.  If we had landed Llorente and someone like a Mahrez it could have been a great window, but it wasn't to be.  Our squad is still a bit thin, but it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.  At full strength it's still one of the best teams in the league.

Mixed feelings here as we did bring in cover for RWB and CMF which we needed but failed to land a big name player.

I believe Barkley or Mahrez or both will join Chelsea in Jan

We covered two of the required positions and I guess Baba will be staying for lwb competition now.

For all of us who have criticized the board and our transfers. They did agree deals for 4 players in the last 2 days 

Drinkwater. Zapacosta. Barkley & ox.

Obviously ox and Barkley turned us down and we could  argue maybe they should have known that before. 

As to what they are gonna do about an extra CF I don't know. 

Striking similarities with the transfer summer window of 2016, where we were linked with 'stars' such as Morata (no problem!), Nainggolan, Griezmann, Bonucci and Pastore but ended up with Batshuiyi, Kante, Luiz and Alonso. On top of that, we loaned out or sold dozens of kids and players surplus to requirements.

Good window, squad increase for the four fronts we're hopefully fighting on. Would have liked a striker but honestly we're pretty well backed in every position (except striker) with a very versatile set of defenders. It's not a disaster, loanees can always be recalled should we end up like Bolton and be left with 6 players. 

Roman has spent a sh*t load here, very grateful. 

Well that wasn't so bad. I'd like to think a few people will be feeling a bit silly now. That would require some degree of self-awareness though, so I doubt it.

Anyway, our big signings already look very good and we are stronger in most areas. I would have liked to get Llorente but I guess that means we haven't given up on Batsuayi just yet. We all know he's capable of better than his recent performances at least.

so your happy that we got 1 player that 99% of people on here have never heard of and a player we just about signed who we have been after for 5 weeks.

what ever way people look at it the board and the last 2  transfers have been a joke.

(not saying they will be bad players) we will have to wait and see

So we got cover for CM and WB. 

I think zappa can play on both sides..Danny can pair with Kante or Bako in CM allowing us to use Cesc to cover our AM when needed..

The only position I am not happy with is striker as Bats doesn't seem to be anywhere near ready..May be Haz to cover Morata when required with willian/Pedro/Cesc playing as the 2 AM .. Llorente wud have been mega useful especially at that price of below 15 m.

Overall I think we shud  be okay with the squad if Morata stays fit for the season and unless Conte is a disgruntled man now..

1 hour ago, Gem said:

Good window, squad increase for the four fronts we're hopefully fighting on. Would have liked a striker but honestly we're pretty well backed in every position (except striker) with a very versatile set of defenders. It's not a disaster, loanees can always be recalled should we end up like Bolton and be left with 6 players. 

Roman has spent a sh*t load here, very grateful. 

Exactly Gem. Very reasoned and well thought out. Certainly not the disaster people were calling this. 

I actually find it endearing that since FFP started we have tried to give it due credence in all our activities.  

They are quick to label Chelsea as club that started spending big on players and distorting market which I have never agreed with. We did buy expensive players but we didn't even break records apart from British one for a striker.

And that was when there was nothing like FFP. Since it came in I would argue that we have been one of the most responsible of all big clubs home and abroad.

Also I personally don't feel any more than 4 players changing in a winning team at once will be beneficial to the team in the short term. 

I am happy with our business and hope the depth issue means we see one or two youngsters getting more than cameos this season.