Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

1 minute ago, coco said:

It should be our target, rather than sack another manager. In two years it may not be entirley all Sarris players, but a big chunk of them can be if the club gives him time.

Yup, I agree. Maybe not necessarily all new players. But force his hand to train the youth squads to become accustomed to his system. 

If it doesn't work out after 3 seasons. If we haven't challenged for the league, if we've maybe limped only to a 4th place. So what? The team will have a style that isn't just counter attack. And we can then replace Sarri much more effectively as managers from across the Continent will see we no longer fire managers so quickly and our players are set up to be technically strong. 

Fergie never let a team get old. Our squad got old years ago. Which is ironic as we have one of the best academies in the world. 

We definitely need a Director of Football/ Sporting Director to curb the signing of dogsh*t players that have been coming in recently. Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Morata, Batshuayi etc have all been absolutely dreadful pieces of business. If we want to build an attacking team we need a Txiki or a Mislinstat up there overseeing a vision for the team as a whole. Let Marina negotiate the deals but have a DOF there to make sure that the deals we're doing fit an overarching vision for the club. Any manager will struggle here without a structure in place for the long term success of the club, be it Sarri or the next shiny attacking coach. A cull  of at least 6-8 players is needed in the dressing room before another managerial head rolls of the Chelsea chopping block

16 minutes ago, coco said:

It should be our target, rather than sack another manager. In two years it may not be entirley all Sarris players, but a big chunk of them can be if the club gives him time.

Depending on how one feels about the subject, that could be quite a scary thought. When City and Pool give time and money to Pep and Klopp to build their teams filled with their players, that's risky but understandable, given who they are and what they've accomplished. Giving time and lots of money to someone who won nothing yet and having a terrible go of it his first season could potentially turn into a nightmare, where a couple of years from now we'll have spent a few hundred million on a crappy team full of Jorginhos.

20 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Depending on how one feels about the subject, that could be quite a scary thought. When City and Pool give time and money to Pep and Klopp to build their teams filled with their players, that's risky but understandable, given who they are and what they've accomplished. Giving time and lots of money to someone who won nothing yet and having a terrible go of it his first season could potentially turn into a nightmare, where a couple of years from now we'll have spent a few hundred million on a crappy team full of Jorginhos.

But we'd be averaging over 900 successful passes per game! :biggrin:

Chelsea fans are big time spoiled. They want their toy now, right at the moment. They can`t wait.

This is so obvious and it`s happen again with 3 or 4 different manager.

Forget this that say i have patient, but i don`t see progress, so sack him . That is a b.c. Simple garb.....

People always complain, the same b.c., different manager, but the same complain ,he don`t know to choice hes best 11, why he didn`t change formation. Why he make sub so late.

I can rot you thousand of such opinion last year, in Mou period and even in Carlo period.

I see some fans starting to realize, this is not a fifa, and not everything can work out, but it`s like 20% of the forum.

To the people they don`t see progress. There is one big thread, after the half season, go look at your opinion, and come back and check how different are they now.

What exactly you was expecting ? To be Champions on that time or to seal top 4 ? United have stronger team then us, that is for sure. City, Liverpool, Tottenham have been better. So you can`t come and complain why we are below them.

We are just 1 point behind to the forth and with same point with the 5th.

We are still very much in the battle for top 4. Also we can have CL football, through LE.

We are in a Cup Final, whether we win it or lose it.

And there was definetely a progress, compare to last year. And it starts right away when the season begin. But right now we are in a bad period. Period every team in every league has. But some move through it faster then others. Some start to skid and there is a lot of bad result, and right we are skidding.

And lastly you are fast to progress. The season is not a last 2-3 bad result.

How fast you forget this quick start with 5 wins in a row. and 12 matches without a loss.

We was playing great football in that time. The problem is the players. They always drops their level.

As i said it many times, if we want to change for good, firstable we need better board then the current one. Need clear vision of how the club should be run. Also to stick to one style and appoint manager with similar to that philosophy of football.

Look at Emanalo. He decided to quit. Goes to Monaco, and straight away was kicked out of there.

And everyone knows my opinion on Marina.

9 minutes ago, loshlosh said:

Chelsea fans are big time spoiled. They want their toy now, right at the moment. They can`t wait.

This is so obvious and it`s happen again with 3 or 4 different manager.

Look at Emanalo. He decided to quit. Goes to Monaco, and straight away was kicked out of there.

Chelsea fans are spoilt? We were patient after unusual losses to Tottenham, Wolves, Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs and Bournemouth and the last all recently with no major injuries. 

Its not just that were losing it is the manner of those defeats. 

We expected not to win the league yet to be in the top four and not getting hammered out of sight which so damaging for morale and team self-belief.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/stubborn-chelsea-boss-maurizio-sarri-sends-warning-to-board-back-me-or-the-players-a4063161.html

There is only ever one winner when a Chelsea manager takes on his own dressing room. Antonio Conte, Jose Mourinho and Andre Villas-Boas are just three men who can testify to that.

By publicly chastising his players and doggedly sticking to his style of play, Maurizio Sarri is asking an extremely difficult question of the club’s senior boardroom figures: back me or them.

This is a club which has proved adept during the Roman Abramovich era at winning trophies despite a prolific turnover of managers. It is a squad that know how to win, one that is capable of bending almost any game to their will when motivated and focused.

It is also one which is capable of throwing in the towel with the kind of insipid performance that costs a manager his job. And there have been too many this season to avoid the searching examination Sarri now faces of both his methodology and the likelihood of succeeding at Stamford Bridge.

Manchester City are a formidable team under Pep Guardiola and may well end the season by retaining their Premier League title. But Chelsea were utterly complicit in their own downfall as Sergio Aguero struck yet another hat-trick — his 11th in the League, equalling Alan Shearer’s record — Raheem Sterling netted a brace and Ilkay Gundogan weighed in to condemn the visitors to their biggest defeat since April 1991.

City overwhelmed Chelsea but, more significantly, it fits the alarming pattern of folding cheaply in big games away from home. As ever, the Italian defended ‘Sarri-ball’, but it was either arrogant or naive to believe an uncompromised approach still in its early stages and bereft of any obvious changes would be sufficient to repel City here.

Just as Arsenal found to their cost a week earlier — and many sides before them in fairness — Chelsea were overrun in wide areas. Full-backs Cesar Azpilicueta and Marcos Alonso lost possession 12 times each — more than any other Chelsea player — a sign they were scrambled mentally by City’s movement, unsure without the ball who to mark and when. This was another occasion when the decision to deploy Jorginho at the base of a midfield three instead of N’Golo Kante looked misguided while Eden Hazard had just 57 touches — fewer than eight City players.

Tactics are one thing but attitude is another. Sarri did not accuse his players of a lack of motivation this time, but he has done so in the past and there was plenty of evidence on Sunday to suggest the issue still remains.

“Something has changed, at the moment I am not able to see the reason, but I have to work for this,” Sarri said. “My target is to play my football, it is not to change to another football. At the moment, we are playing another [type of] football.”

How long he will be given to identify the problem remains to be seen. He hardly helped himself during a post-match interview with Sky Italia in which he said: “If the president [Abramovich] calls, I’ll be happy, seeing as I never hear from him. To be honest, I don’t really know what to expect.”

It will only end one way if Chelsea continue to produce performances like this. One moment midway through the second half seemed to act as a metaphor for the disconnect. Both teams were waiting for a break in play to make a substitution. Guardiola had his arm around Gabriel Jesus, giving the young Brazilian encouragement and direction, pointing at areas of the pitch to exploit — which, by this point, was pretty much all of them.

In the adjacent technical area, Ruben Loftus-Cheek stood on his own with Sarri several yards away. Not a word was uttered between the pair.

Each manager has their own style, of course, and the lopsided scoreline —  5-0 as it was then — clearly contributed to the contrasting energy in the respective dugouts.

Yet the body language felt symbolic of a deeper malaise and an example of the gulf between the two sides. Guardiola had a better track record than Sarri at the same stage but regardless he is an example to Chelsea of how a manager can overcome initial teething problems in his first season to radically alter a team’s playing style if given the time and financial backing.

“I know what he wants to do, I think this kind of person, these type of games always help to make our football better,” said Guardiola. “They beat us at Stamford Bridge and against Napoli last season it was tight, they were better at moments.

“People don’t understand how difficult the first year can be. My first season here was difficult. In my first year, we could not play in the way I wanted.

“People think if you buy players, you can immediately come in and win, but you need time. It just depends on the belief of the owners — if the people really believe in that.”

We’re about to find out in the coming days and weeks. They may choose to persevere, but surely only if Sarri can keep the players with him.

Even in relatively difficult and demanding moments, Guardiola never lost them at City. History tells you things are often different at Chelsea and Sarri faces a huge fight to avoid joining the list of managers undone by player power.

47 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Giving time and lots of money to someone who won nothing yet and having a terrible go of it his first season could potentially turn into a nightmare,

You mean like the nightmare were facing right now with him stuck with square pegs for round holes, and......we just got rid of the manager for square pegs.:slap_face:

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

Pep did change formation & personnel several times  during those periods though. I can remember him benching Aguero for a stretch of games and bringing Kompany back into the fold then binning him eventually. He also started/ switched formation during the games, playing 3/2 CBs. And who can forget him playing wingers as full backs.

With Sarri it has been one template all season long, even when losing games just switch the same players every time.

Sure, but he was forced to and he most likely had a different mandate to Sarri. People seem to think that Sarri hasn't tried anything - He's tried switching strikers, playing with a false 9, playing Kante closer to Jorginho, changing fullbacks and bringing on Emerson as a left-wing to see a match out.  And benching Aguero? Sarri benched Morata, but it doesn't help if the next in line is Giroud.

It is easier to change when you've got the players who are able to do it. So let's see what Pep had to work with in his first season vs Sarri -

1. A team with recent history of playing good, attacking football. 4-3-3.

2. Aguero - scored the same amount of goals as Costa in that season at a better rate than Costa.

3. Brought in backup striker who could score in Jan.

4. Silva, KDB, Toure,  Fernandinho - 4 midfielders suited to Pep's style, already have PL experience and have a combination of creativity and goals.

5. Not the greatest but an experienced backline of Zabaleta, Kolorov, Kompany, Sagna, Otamendi and he added Stones.

Sarri:

1. Hazard. Best player in the league and suited to his football but also has consistency issues.

2. Had to bring in Jorginho to make his system viable. Jorginho is new to the league and needs time to settle, unlike the key elements of Pep's system in his first season.

3. No goals from the midfield. Also a lack of creativity. Kovacic (who I really like) was a Madrid sub for a reason despite having great technique. Of Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Drinkwater, Barkley, Cesc and Ruben;  the only one who would challenge for a starting berth at City is Jorginho.

4. Strikers who can't score. Went into the season HOPING Morata would change.

5. A left-back who is ill-suited to the formation, can't defend and has no recovery pace.

6. The most important difference? No structure around Sarri to allow him to fully implement his ideas. We are all kind of just hoping he and the board are on the same page. 

A few weeks into the new season I realised this was going to be a patchy season. Now we are seeing the worst and I am fine with it because ,considering all of the above points, I expected it. I just hope the board expected it as well and will allow him to work. Depending on what they decide to do, we will see if all they wanted was some pretty football for a bit or if they're truly wanting to change the identity of the club (and just maybe hold on to Hazard in doing so). 

4 minutes ago, venom2011 said:

Sure, but he was forced to and he most likely had a different mandate to Sarri. People seem to think that Sarri hasn't tried anything - He's tried switching strikers, playing with a false 9, playing Kante closer to Jorginho, changing fullbacks and bringing on Emerson as a left-wing to see a match out.  And benching Aguero? Sarri benched Morata, but it doesn't help if the next in line is Giroud.

It is easier to change when you've got the players who are able to do it. So let's see what Pep had to work with in his first season vs Sarri -

1. A team with recent history of playing good, attacking football. 4-3-3.

2. Aguero - scored the same amount of goals as Costa in that season at a better rate than Costa.

3. Brought in backup striker who could score in Jan.

4. Silva, KDB, Toure,  Fernandinho - 4 midfielders suited to Pep's style, already have PL experience and have a combination of creativity and goals.

5. Not the greatest but an experienced backline of Zabaleta, Kolorov, Kompany, Sagna, Otamendi and he added Stones.

Sarri:

1. Hazard. Best player in the league and suited to his football but also has consistency issues.

2. Had to bring in Jorginho to make his system viable. Jorginho is new to the league and needs time to settle, unlike the key elements of Pep's system in his first season.

3. No goals from the midfield. Also a lack of creativity. Kovacic (who I really like) was a Madrid sub for a reason despite having great technique. Of Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Drinkwater, Barkley, Cesc and Ruben;  the only one who would challenge for a starting berth at City is Jorginho.

4. Strikers who can't score. Went into the season HOPING Morata would change.

5. A left-back who is ill-suited to the formation, can't defend and has no recovery pace.

6. The most important difference? No structure around Sarri to allow him to fully implement his ideas. We are all kind of just hoping he and the board are on the same page. 

A few weeks into the new season I realised this was going to be a patchy season. Now we are seeing the worst and I am fine with it because ,considering all of the above points, I expected it. I just hope the board expected it as well and will allow him to work. Depending on what they decide to do, we will see if all they wanted was some pretty football for a bit or if they're truly wanting to change the identity of the club (and just maybe hold on to Hazard in doing so). 

I agree with all of this. 

4 minutes ago, Zola said:

Antonio Conte:

"If you give City space behind us the game can finish not 1-0. I’m not so stupid to play against Man City open and lose 3-0 or 4-0."

Ah, Conte. A coach who had more than one way of playing football. I remember those days............................

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/11629903/who-is-chelseas-marina-granovskaia-the-strictly-private-business-powerhouse

What's Marina's role at Chelsea? I was always lead to believe that she was just the negotiator, yet with the complaints from Courtois about her and people saying she's the top dog at Chelsea what power does she have here? 

It's no exaggeration that since FFP was fully implemented we've become a very business oriented club, we've been selling players a lot more than we ever were pre 2013. But does anyone else get the vibe that we have been even Arsenal like? Why hasn't the attack been upgraded in so long? Hazard should have been playing next to much better players and you would think we would at least attempt to challenge City in the transfer window. 

4 minutes ago, Zola said:

Also an old Jose comment

I always backed Mourinho even if in hindsight it was better that he was sacked. That doesn't make his sacking right, it still has proven a point that the manager is always guilty when the going gets tough. 

What annoys me is how we've got ourselves into a situation where it's practically fighting for our best player to sign a new contract, even Liverpool over the last few years have shown much more ambition in the transfer market. 

1 hour ago, coco said:

You mean like the nightmare were facing right now with him stuck with square pegs for round holes, and......we just got rid of the manager for square pegs.:slap_face:

Which is entirely the boards fault.

It's actually quite ironic that at this point many seem to point their fingers at the board, yet traditionally the ones that already have pointed out the mess we have been at board-level the past few years have been called moaners and sulkers.
And now here we are. There has not been a longterm plan at this club for several years now, we have no DOF and no football-competence at board level who are making all the decisons and we are now seeing the results of it.

Continue with the old Chelsea, results over style? 

I think we need to Continue in this path. I'm not talking about losing 6-0. We are trying to adapt to possession based football but with players incapable of doing it. 

Sack Sarri now and we will fall back to the old way. I feel the club will back Sarri this season but will guide him to compromise with his style so we can fight for 4th spot. 

Sarri has the ball now. Use your intelligence and make some changes. 

In Sarri's defence he is asking players to do something they are clearly not willing to do. Higuain trots around, Hazard, Pedro and Barkley don't want to run and Willian will only run backwards when he has lost the ball. Sarri wont change his ways but either will the players, so what's the answer?