Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

26 minutes ago, TrueBlueSeaFC87 said:

So let us entertain the notion that we back the manager for a couple of years.  IF Sarri is actually having a difficult time motivating these players than we need an entire overhaul of our team.  Who do we keep and how in the world do we sign and entire team in one summer? 

Our club appears to be having a problem attracting top talent, we are not backed by Middle East oil money that pays no respect for the FPP and no decent Italian side wants to sell us good players and when we do get them it is normally just a day before the season starts so they cannot gel immediately with the team. 

Personally I think we really need to stick with Sarri and accept whatever happens this season. I doubt we’d get trounced 6-0 again.

Start studying potential targets now, who’d suit Sarriball, etc. Get these players in the summer and get rid of the core, rebuild and let Sarri guide us to a new philosophy/era.

We need to take a look at City, Liverpool and Tottenham and realise giving the manager time can really pay off. Sacking and firing isn’t sustainable for long term, we want to be an elite club like we were then we need a plan. Something like a 10 year plan.

We sack Sarri, that’d mean we will keep the team core as it is and that’s the last thing I want to see.

So I know this is off topic but why is FFP even a thing if they don't hold teams like City (the new Real Madrid / Barcelona) accountable for spewing money.  I'd hate to think about this but maybe UEFA needs to look at an American style salary cap.  It seems to work in the NHL where there is parity among the league.   

8 hours ago, big blue said:

If we sack the manager what are the options? 

Will a new manager not need money and players to implement his philosophy anyway? 

We have spent £400m in over the last 18 months, so we have clearly have money to spend, maybe it's just a case of spending 9n the right players. 

What guarantees are there that JT or Lampard would play the youth? Are the youth really good enough for us to get back to competing for titles? I doubt seeing a team with 3 or 4 academy players getting spanked 6 nil, would feel any better than it did today. 

Maybe sarri isn't the right manager, but the squad requires major surgery regardless of who is in charge.

I think it's quite simple, if you want to be the best team in the country, then bring in the best players, that's how liverpool have closed the gap. They bought van dijk and allison who would start in any team in the league. 

Precisely why I said bring in someone who will intigrate the youth.

That would be a wonderful thought that we spent money on the right players but we don’t, we spend it on utter dross. 

Have you heard the way Lamps talks up Mount etc? JT with Abraham? Particularly if it was Lamps/Morris. I follow Jody across all social media and he hails the Chelsea youth system but slates the way it lies used when it comes to the first team. I am 99% sure he’d be pushing for those players to get chances if he was assistant.

We are not competiting for titles as it is and won’t be for the foreseeable with this squad, we are miles behind city & Liverpool. We’ll need to agree to disagree then, because I would not be nearly as angry losing 4-0 to Bournemouth & 6-0 to City with 6/7 academy graduates getting game time as opposed to a bunch of overrated players in their ‘prime’.

It does require major surgery I totally agree, but I don’t think the board is going to sanction a £600m spending spree or whatever it would take nowadays so the only alternative IMO is to use the most successful youth system in the country. 

PS.

@Argo yeah I did mean Lamps more than JT but I would be hopeful he was on the staff somewhere.

Edited by EdinburghBlue

EdinburghBlue, get this straight once and for all. Untill we have such politics for managers, no one will develop and integrate youth into first team. Won`t happen, whatever the manager name is.

Also you can put 6-7 academy players, only in fifa, otherwise, result will be a worst then City.

Appoint Lamps or Terry, they will failed hard and it will be less then 6 months period, before getting sacked.

I don`t want that to happen to legend like them.

13 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Precisely why I said bring in someone who will intigrate the youth.

That would be a wonderful thought that we spent money on the right players but we don’t, we spend it on utter dross. 

Have you heard the way Lamps talks up Mount etc? JT with Abraham? Particularly if it was Lamps/Morris. I follow Jody across all social media and he hails the Chelsea youth system but slates the way it lies used when it comes to the first team. I am 99% sure he’d be pushing for those players to get chances if he was assistant.

We are not competiting for titles as it is and won’t be for the foreseeable with this squad, we are miles behind city & Liverpool. We’ll need to agree to disagree then, because I would not be nearly as angry losing 4-0 to Bournemouth & 6-0 to City with 6/7 academy graduates getting game time as opposed to a bunch of overrated players in their ‘prime’.

It does require major surgery I totally agree, but I don’t think the board is going to sanction a £600m spending spree or whatever it would take nowadays so the only alternative IMO is to use the most successful youth system in the country. 

PS.

@Argo yeah I did mean Lamps more than JT but I would be hopeful he was on the staff somewhere.

I can't disagree with this EB. My concern would be that a Lampard/Morris partnership would be crushed by the pressure and ineptitude of our board. Same with the players.

But

If this is truly a watershed moment, then surely going all in with the youth players and start building from the ground up is not going to be any worse than we are currently doing. Clearly there are a number of players whose positon in this side must be brought into question.

Sarri said coming in to the club that he wasn't interested in the transfer market, he prefers to work with the players and develop them. His latest comments have been that he cannot motivate this group of players. Isn't the answer obvious then. Find a group of players that he can work with, that are strong enough, fit enough and eager enough to learn and develop.  Surely it is currently the logical option.

12 hours ago, enigma said:

He's been getting stick since he joined us. I was sure there was an agenda by the media once he came until now. The talk about him being old, trophyless and his football being termed "sarriball" (which nobody knows where it came from) seemed to perpetuate this narrative that he was battling against the side since he came to England. 

No more stick than what Mourinho and Conte received during their tenures with us.

I defended Mourinho and Conte until the very end because they were proven winners, and instead we have an inferior manager to show for it and a group of players who can do as they please and down tools when they don't like the manager anymore. It was a legitimate concern from some to point out that Sarri doesn't have any silverware to back up what he's produced at previous clubs.

People became fixated on attacking football that we've essentially lost our identity in the process. I love Mourinho and Conte, because they had a "win at all costs" mentality regardless of the playing style, which this manager lacks unfortunately.

The moment winning trophies becomes secondary because our playing style is more important is when I will lose faith in the running of this club.

A new manager and a major rebuild of the playing squad we have is what is needed in my opinion. Most players are dispensable at the right price barring a select few (Azpilicueta, Kante, Hazard and one or two others).

I rarely advocate for the sacking of a manager, but in this case I wouldn't be against it. Whatever happens, we're in for a bumpy ride.

Edited by Jezz

Just now, WhiteWall said:

Sarri said coming in to the club that he wasn't interested in the transfer market, he prefers to work with the players and develop them. His latest comments have been that he cannot motivate this group of players. Isn't the answer obvious then. Find a group of players that he can work with, that are strong enough, fit enough and eager enough to learn and develop.  Surely it is currently the logical option.

That's what's bothering me. Conte was openly critical about the board failure/unwillingness to get him the transfer targets he wanted. But at least he was flexible enough in his first season to turn things around and win a major trophy. He also had a resume of a title winning manager.

Sarri said several times he couldn't care less about the transfer market. I'm sure that was one of the reasons the board wanted him here in the first place, seemed like a safe choice after falling out with headstrong controvercial characters like Jose and Antonio. Now he can't shut up about the fact that he can't motivate this group of players. So basically he's saying they're not good enough, bring me others. How's it any different? The only difference is, his predecessors at least managed to win things before sh*t hit the fan. He's done nothing so far and has no reputation to fall back on, because his players, unlike him, won plenty.

It’s a real shame things didn’t work out with Conte. He was a fantastic manager and one that we could have built something special with. 

Unfortunately It feels like we purposely try to make our managers jobs difficult and put obstacles in their way rather than supporting and encouraging them. Maybe the board should try a new approach for once. 

15 minutes ago, evissy said:

We sack Sarri now and this season's progress is down the toilet. Let him have the next season and lets work on this system. 

Agree but my only concern is the system is not working presently. Why persist with it in the interim? Why not put it aside in the interim and try and get Top 4/ win some cup(s).  This is what bothers me, and might be the reason he gets the sack by the month end. 

For me he absolutely has to go now. In all my life following Chelsea we have never lost by 4, and in 2 of our last 3 games we have lost by 4 and then 6! I know things were different in the 70s/ 80s but that was then and this is now, and expectations around the club are slightly different. We went 1-0 down yesterday early doors and the players heads went and we capitulated. To me that suggests that we don't prepare for the possibility of conceding, and when it happens we don't know how to react. Same thing against Bournemouth as well. I would have a bit more patience if we were showing any signs of promise and that things might get better, but at the moment i genuinely believe we are getting worse, not improving. We had a 15 minute spell yesterday at 4-0 down where we had a couple of half chances, but what good is that if you are already 4-0 down inside 25 minutes?

Conte got absolutely slated last year for going there and setting us up defensively and losing 1-0, what possible excuse can Sarri have for yesterday? Chelsea of old would have kept games like that in the past tight, looking to hit them on the break and possibly get a 1-0 win or a 1-1 draw. If you go to City and try and match them punch for punch, they will pick you off and humiliate you like they did to us. If you have the players to match them then it is easier to have a go at them, like Liverpool in Europe last year. But the fact is our squad isn't good enough for that right now, so why not set us up a bit more cautiously?

Even when we have been rubbish in the past, we have always shown a bit of fight and a bit of grit and even that was lacking yesterday.

I know we are only a point off of 4th at the mo, but we are on such a downward trajectory at the moment that i think that gap will only get bigger. United were 11 points behind when OGS took over, and as brilliant as they have been since, it is completely unacceptable for us to give up 12 points on them between now and then.

For me Carragher was absolutely bang on when he said we are turning into Arsenal, how many times have we seen that sort of performance from Arsenal away in the last few years?

What I will say is the club currently feels toxic from top to bottom. It seems to me that Roman has maybe lost interest a little bit. I get that Sarri is trying to change the identity of the club into a possession based attacking side - but how much success have we had over the last 15 years? What is the need for change? I think we need a DOF in place to make the link between the football side of things, and the business side of things. Ballack's name has been banded about for that, and maybe Cech when he retires in the summer, but i just think there needs to be that bridge between football and business.

In an ideal world, I would like the club to appoint a younger manager - Lamps for argument sake and implement a 5 year plan. Give the manager 3 years of grace of finishing between 8th and 10th (if we do better than that, then great, and if we win any cups along the way that would be a bonus) implementing the youth prospects such as CHO, Mount, James etc. Sell the current deadwood in the squad and recruiting where need be. Then from season 4 onwards the expectation being that we challenge for the title. Like i said that is in an ideal world, but due to the importance of European football i don't know how realistic that would be. 

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. 

50 minutes ago, evissy said:

We sack Sarri now and this season's progress is down the toilet. Let him have the next season and lets work on this system. 

I'd be more than willing to sacrifice that so called "progress"

1 hour ago, loshlosh said:

EdinburghBlue, get this straight once and for all. Untill we have such politics for managers, no one will develop and integrate youth into first team. Won`t happen, whatever the manager name is.

Also you can put 6-7 academy players, only in fifa, otherwise, result will be a worst then City.

Appoint Lamps or Terry, they will failed hard and it will be less then 6 months period, before getting sacked.

I don`t want that to happen to legend like them.

It will be worse than being scudded 4-0 by Bournemouth & 6-0 by City? I strongly disagree.

1 hour ago, Jezz said:

No more stick than what Mourinho and Conte received during their tenures with us.

I defended Mourinho and Conte until the very end because they were proven winners, and instead we have an inferior manager to show for it and a group of players who can do as they please and down tools when they don't like the manager anymore. It was a legitimate concern from some to point out that Sarri doesn't have any silverware to back up what he's produced at previous clubs.

People became fixated on attacking football that we've essentially lost our identity in the process. I love Mourinho and Conte, because they had a "win at all costs" mentality regardless of the playing style, which this manager lacks unfortunately.

The moment winning trophies becomes secondary because our playing style is more important is when I will lose faith in the running of this club.

A new manager and a major rebuild of the playing squad we have is what is needed in my opinion. Most players are dispensable at the right price barring a select few (Azpilicueta, Kante, Hazard and one or two others).

I rarely advocate for the sacking of a manager, but in this case I wouldn't be against it. Whatever happens, we're in for a bumpy ride.

We are playing poorly at the moment, no question about that, and not particularly easy on the eye with it, but do you really not give a monkeys about playing style and boring football as long as there’s trophys to show for it?

Is every game just a stepping stone towards silverware in May?

When Chelsea win stuff do you see this as a personal triumph?

Absolutely bang on I made the comparison it another post to current politics over the last few years similarly to Chelsea over the last 10 years we have won countless trophies but have no vision of where we want to go as a club. The hiring and firing will not work anymore because now you have clubs run 1000 times better in city, Liverpool Spurs and United and they will only get better. We need the structure at the club the leadership at the club to start from building a process long term vision because the short term fixes will not work anymore it just won't.

7 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

We are playing poorly at the moment, no question about that, and not particularly easy on the eye with it, but do you really not give a monkeys about playing style and boring football as long as there’s trophys to show for it?

Is every game just a stepping stone towards silverware in May?

When Chelsea win stuff do you see this as a personal triumph?

By this logic we may as well scrap trophies all together, because who cares as long as we are playing good football.

Our fans are probably all so immensely proud that we won the Champions League in 2012, that i doubt anyone cares how defensive we were in the Semi's and the final.

Surely every clubs ultimate end goal is to compete for trophies? We could win the league with 38 1-0 wins for all i care, i would still be chuffed. 

Personally I've run out of patience with Sarri. 

When he joined we were told to be patient, Sarri himself said expect the first 3 months to be rough whilst he implemented his ideas and philosophy. 

Eight months in and we're getting continuously battered and embarrassed. We're not talking slim margins here, it's complete collapses. 

We're not scoring goals, teams are splitting us open on the counter attack at will. Where's the turning point? When does Sarri-ball come to fruition? 

The football we're playing is rubbish. Players look lost, not knowing what to do. The amount of times I'm seeing players shouting at each other, gesticulating to each other in anger and frustration... I don't think I can remember seeing this happen so often before. The players seem genuinely confused about what they're supposed to be doing at times. 

Sarri's complete lack of flexibility to stop the rot is just completely bizarre. All well and good him saying he's not going to change anything because the players don't understand Plan A... Maybe Plan A is the problem? After more than 6 months with the team him saying he needs to go back to basics on the training field just sets alarm bells ringing. An entire group of top level footballers aren't grasping the basics? 

What worked for Napoli isn't necessarily going to work for Chelsea. You wouldn't ask a classical composer to work with the Ramones.  

I don't see this turning around personally, if he gets sacked today I won't shed any tears and I dare say we'll be the better for it. 

20 minutes ago, drjonesy1994 said:

By this logic we may as well scrap trophies all together, because who cares as long as we are playing good football.

Our fans are probably all so immensely proud that we won the Champions League in 2012, that i doubt anyone cares how defensive we were in the Semi's and the final.

Surely every clubs ultimate end goal is to compete for trophies? We could win the league with 38 1-0 wins for all i care, i would still be chuffed. 

We’ve already won everything in sight.

As a fan I don’t feel the raison detre is necessarily to win trophy’s. Perhaps I’m not as intense about this as others, however I enjoy watching a decent game/ season of football, if we win stuff great, if not, so be it.

Its about enjoying the journey, not just the destination.

2 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

We’ve already won everything in sight.

As a fan I don’t feel the raison detre is necessarily to win trophy’s. Perhaps I’m not as intense about this as others, however I enjoy watching a decent game/ season of football, if we win stuff great, if not, so be it.

Its about enjoying the journey, not just the destination.

I agree with that but who can honestly say they are enjoying THIS particular journey?

I'm more than happy for us to go without silverware if I was seeing progress. GOOD football, youngsters being integrated in the 1st team - defeats are okay wif we've given our all and lost 4-3, 5-3, NOT 4-0 and 6-0. I'm all for a long-term plan but right now Sarri is taking us backwards at a fair old rate of knots and we are becoming an embarrassment - it's like the good(bad) old days when Chelsea were a club to be laughed at.  

3 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

I can't disagree with this EB. My concern would be that a Lampard/Morris partnership would be crushed by the pressure and ineptitude of our board. Same with the players.

But

If this is truly a watershed moment, then surely going all in with the youth players and start building from the ground up is not going to be any worse than we are currently doing. Clearly there are a number of players whose positon in this side must be brought into question.

Sarri would be happy to work with players at his disposal, but what are our ambitions? If the club and fans are happy to aim for top 6 at best then that's fine, but if we want to remain ambitious and challenge for the big trophies the board have to back him by shelling the big money out for top players - not buying so many average players with lack of technical ability who struggle to fit the system.