Chelsea V Liverpool (PL) Sat 29th Sep 17:30 UK

coco
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

For the neutrals, a terrific game.

I have to admit that while the result could have been much worse, conceding late to a former Chelsea player is a real kick in the teeth (though I have to admit that it was a goal worthy of an equaliser if not a win).

Objectively, a point is probably fair. Chelsea were better in the first half, Liverpool were IMO better in the second.

It is interesting how Liverpool dominated possession, which is highly unusual against a Sarri side - I do get the impression that this was deliberate on Sarri's part, as if he was content to stand off a little bit and challenge Liverpool to pass their way through Chelsea rather than allow them to hit Chelsea on the counter, which Klopp typically prefers.  

Hazard of course stood out, but credit has to go to little Rudiger for his tackling. 

EDIT: Agree with those confused by the Barkley sub, Whatever Barkley's strengths, he's much less accomplished at retaining possession than Kovacic (who impressed) and you don't want to lose the ball against a counter-attacking side like Liverpool. 

Edited by DaRick

9 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

On a neutral football forum, so many Liverpool fans are really impressed with our midfield and are saying our midfield is right up there with City. 

Yes I viewed another forum too and a Liverpool fan said we were the only team this season to pass around thier press and a Utd fan added what went wrong, they brought in LVG to change their style and Sarri's done in 2 months what LVG could not do even with money and a whole season.

14 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Can anyone who watched the game on tv confirm that there were away fans there today because I didn’t hear them once. 

Let’s be fair Munkworth, after the 89th minute they found their voice a little bit. Just at the prime moment to get those BT cameras showing them waving their scarves giving them excellent material to w**k over when they get home. 

38 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

On a neutral football forum, so many Liverpool fans are really impressed with our midfield and are saying our midfield is right up there with City. 

26 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Yes I viewed another forum too and a Liverpool fan said we were the only team this season to pass around thier press and a Utd fan added what went wrong, they brought in LVG to change their style and Sarri's done in 2 months what LVG could not do even with money and a whole season.

Not RedCafe is it?

I was reading that forum today and words were said to that effect. 

Thought we were very good. Strong defensively. And slick in midfield. And we have Hazard who’s a sublime talent.

Just imagine where we’d be with a decent striker. If we fall short this season, which I think we will, it’s because neither Giroud or Morata are capable of scoring enough goals. I seriously hope we’re in for a striker in January. 

Such a bloody shame we couldn’t find a way to have kept Diego Costa. Would have made such a difference to this team. 

Have spent some time on RAWK & RC this morning and yes, we are getting quite a bit of praise which is nice to see.

Both are decent forums with some very knowledgeable and articulate members - although, like most football forums they do attract some vile pieces of work.

General consensus is the same as on here, a decent striker short of the title, a rapidly improving work in progress and Sarri getting great praise.

One of the things I like about Sarri is that there is bugger all that the (pro-Northern/pro-Liverpool) press can dig him out on which takes the heat off of us for a change.

Superb advertisement for the EPL yesterday, fair result - we won the first half and they won the second.  We were the best of the two matches this week and it was great to beat Klopp who was desperate to stay in the cup.

Only negative yesterday was the odd sub' of Kovacic for Barkley, with the latter again giving the ball away in critical areas - I'm giving if 50:50 responsibility with Kante for allowing Sturridge to get that amazing shot off.  Getting a tad fed up with the 'developing youngster' tag attached to him - he's a couple of months shy of 25 for gods sake!

Great start to the season for us - well ahead of my humble expectations tbh.

KTBFFH

18 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Can anyone who watched the game on tv confirm that there were away fans there today because I didn’t hear them once. 

There support was shocking yesterday, where as the Mathew Harding lower in the second half was very good, my voice is a bit hoarse today. 

Was at the game yesterday and just read through the posts on here. Agree we did drop deeper second half, we had a couple of moments at the back that need sorting. The subs I agree didn’t  help see out the game or improve us. Giving the ball away under no pressure 3-4 times in the last 15 mins also didn’t help. Would be interesting to see why Kovacic can’t play full 90 mins. I know he had a dead leg a couple of games ago. Really enjoyed the atmosphere in the M H U good to see everyone singing. It was like it used to be 10 years ago.

I thought we might get spanked, so pleased with the overall performance and the point.Overall, I thought Liverpool were the better team (not by much tho) and deserved at least a point.

I wanted us to be more attacking but with our cronic lack of firepower I can understand why we backed off a bit. Its a great sign for the future that we've got to this level already and with still lots of room for improvement and upgrades on players still needed. Not that it matters, but its a further good sign when even lots of Liverpool and Utd fans are saying positive things about Sarri and the football we are playing. A striker and another midfielder who scores a fair number would make such a difference.

Some sh*t from Pool fans about the "vile Chelsea scum fans and their songs" . This from a fanbase that sung about Munich.

Have to say Its a great comeback by Sturridge. It looked for all the world his time in a top team were done with. Indeed, after his dire stint at West Brom, his days in the Prem player looked over as well. Hate seeing any talent be ruined by injury.

Edited by Dixon

36 minutes ago, Dixon said:

I thought we might get spanked, so pleased with the overall performance and the point.Overall, I thought Liverpool were the better team (not by much tho) and deserved at least a point.

I wanted us to be more attacking but with our cronic lack of firepower I can understand why we backed off a bit. Its a great sign for the future that we've got to this level already and with still lots of room for improvement and upgrades on players still needed. Not that it matters, but its a further good sign when even lots of Liverpool and Utd fans are saying positive things about Sarri and the football we are playing. A striker and another midfielder who scores a fair number would make such a difference.

Some sh*t from Pool fans about the "vile Chelsea scum fans and their songs" . This from a fanbase that sung about Munich.

Have to say Its a great comeback by Sturridge. It looked for all the world his time in a top team were done with. Indeed, after his dire stint at West Brom, his days in the Prem player looked over as well. Hate seeing any talent be ruined by injury.

Re Sturridge I think he will always be plagued by injury, it's just his makeup. There's no doubt technically he is a great finisher hopefully he will punish another top side too from coming off the bench.

10 hours ago, boomerdog said:

Let’s be fair Munkworth, after the 89th minute they found their voice a little bit. Just at the prime moment to get those BT cameras showing them waving their scarves giving them excellent material to w**k over when they get home. 

I thought they were being ironic seeing as they were acting like they’d won the match.

6 hours ago, chi blue said:

There support was shocking yesterday, where as the Mathew Harding lower in the second half was very good, my voice is a bit hoarse today. 

My throats a bit sore too. Best atmosphere the shed end has seen since... Arsenal last month :laugh2:

17 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Though having had time to reflect it does not matter if liverpool deserve to get that late goal or not. Title winning sides win games they may not deserve to as well as those they do. We are still short.

As are they, by this rationale, and after Man City's result against Wolves, Arsenal against us, Spuds against Watford and Man Utd against both Brighton and West Ham where is the title winning side coming from.

We are no more short than any of our rivals going on this performance. Ultimately I think we may end up being simply because of our striker issues and our potentially poorer bench quality, but I don't think early season results are showing any particular signs at the moment.

On 29/09/2018 at 19:54, Scott Harris said:

Who's saying Liverpool deserved it on here? Most are saying that a draw was probably a fair result. And I don't know where you are getting the jaw dropping worshipping of Liverpool from. You will never see that from us Chelsea fans.

Read though again @Scott Harris.  Most are, but there are several wittering on, before, during and after the game about how good the dippers are.   FFS, someone even said they would "tear us a new arse" or words to that effect.

2 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Read though again @Scott Harris.  Most are, but there are several wittering on, before, during and after the game about how good the dippers are.   FFS, someone even said they would "tear us a new arse" or words to that effect.

Maybe cuz they have eaten up the awe surrounding pool thanks to the media.........so so many non pool fans have bought it. They are good.......but we showed a legit way of stopping them.......

Read though again [mention=8678]Scott Harris[/mention].  Most are, but there are several wittering on, before, during and after the game about how good the dippers are.   FFS, someone even said they would "tear us a new arse" or words to that effect.
Maybe because that happens when they lose to sticky poo on FIFA xD

On ?30?/?09?/?2018 at 03:20, axman2526 said:

We badly need goals from sources other than Hazard. Cause he needs help.

Giroud and morata chip in with goals? Highly unlikely. Willian? When hazard has put us 3 up already maybe. Pedro? Blows hot and cold. Moses? Please. Kante, jorginho, kovacic and the other midfield? Nope try again. 

Face it outside of eden our best chance of a goal is alonso and that is just sad.

Yeah I can't really argue with that. Giroud and especially Morata should be more than just chipping in with goals. Morata has been a huge flop, started off ok the first few months but has gone downhill since. I wonder how many goals Costa would already have under our new manager.