Man City v Chelsea (PL) Sat 8th May 2021 17:30 GMT

Posted (edited)

You don't see many goals these days from the ball played across the line, think before VAR the offside was level with the defender now with VAR feels like they have the ruler and compass out.  I notice attackers seem to peer forward beyond the defenders to track the ball and that is offside. 

Re VAR, we must have been caught out a few times this season today it helped us with Zouma on Sterling, I thought it looked ugly in real time and we might conceded a penalty.

Good to see TT not only discuss this yet deflect it with other points in the game shows he knows the media game. Looks like the media wanted to crown City Champions today, headlines spoiled.   ::HeAdS:::

Edited by Strider6003

1 hour ago, Malta Blue said:

Best to wait....just incase and if we somehow lose when they start gloating you can be hey, I didn't say anything in our last match

55 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Trust me WAIT. He who laughs last laughs LOUDEST

Good calls. If we win the CL I'll be very drunk for a few days - there'll be many on here who will be in the same boat - so it will probably be mid-June before I can gloat.

Just now, Ballack & Blu said:

Hoorah for Lineker, he bought up Sterlings studs up on Werner, they concurred he was lucky not to get a Red

Yes, all agreed that that should have been a red.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RMH said:

Yes, all agreed that that should have been a red.

But then went off on one about how sterling should have had a penalty after saying Jesus one was a pen too. In both occasions the citeh players played for and engineered the contact. 
That’s not saying it wasn’t clumsy on both counts, but I’m fed up of attacking players doing this. It happens in every match. You can see Sterling slow down, put his body in front of Zouma so he starts to run into the back of him and then he flops over. 
the Jesus one was also a disgrace cos Taylor didn’t give chelsea a chance to get Zouma on for Christensen. 
* this was meant to be a reply to ballack and blu.

Edited by The Brit

Deserved and fantastic win IMO. Sky seemed butt hurt about what happened...all about city winning the pl today and we spoiled the script. Remember Tyler saying Late on that ‘guardiola is letting the handbrake off’ as if citeh had deliberately been underwhelming rather than chelsea, particularly in second half, being in control.

huge victory for top 4 race. Got to make it count at home v arsenal and Leicester now. Can hopefully get it done and dusted rather than sweating at villa.

Had a chance to watch the game after the fact. My takeaways from it are:

1. Both sides looked tired, (us more than City) and disjointed (City more than us). Not surprising given the changes, 48 hours recovery and prep for us after massive games for both teams in the week.

2. First half really offered only 1 thing of note before the goal. Sterlings tackle may not have been deliberately bad but he went in studs up and endanger Timo, one of our key players. Red card offence all day long, poor from VAR not to overturn it or at least send the ref to the monitor.

3. Speaking of endangering our players I was concerned about that before and Jesus flying in with one foot at knee height seemed a deliberate attempt on Pulisic and another red card offence to me.

4. On their goal hard for the ref to see if but a clear push by Jesus on Andreas that led to him getting injured. Poor on VAR second time.

5. On the pen given, no complaints from me, they are often given for the slightest contact and Billy is wrong side of Jesus.

6. Second half more interesting, correct call on Timo being offside but the CHO one again the line seemed to be draw from his arm. Harsh.

7. On the Sterling pen claim that is a stonewall pen for me, Kurt made a real mess of that after a fine earlier block. Again poor on VAR for the third time. Again though Sterling should not be on the pitch to win this.

8. Sterling slapping Dave's hand away, makes me even happier VAR screwed him over.

9. I am shocked Taylor did not give that pen...just does not seem right. First call he ever gave to us?

Great result and real shift form a lot of tired players.

1 hour ago, The Brit said:

But then went off on one about how sterling should have had a penalty after saying Jesus one was a pen too. In both occasions the citeh players played for and engineered the contact. 
That’s not saying it wasn’t clumsy on both counts, but I’m fed up of attacking players doing this. It happens in every match. You can see Sterling slow down, put his body in front of Zouma so he starts to run into the back of him and then he flops over. 
the Jesus one was also a disgrace cos Taylor didn’t give chelsea a chance to get Zouma on for Christensen. 
* this was meant to be a reply to ballack and blu.

I do think it was a Pen tbh, Zouma couldn't get a clear tackle in, but made contact 3 or 4 times with Sterling, i just think it was very clumsy defending by kurt....

Unreal result and second half performance. It's one thing coming back from behind to beat City, another to beat them at their own game. First half was pretty much what was expected, conceded a goal out of nothing and almost 2:0 and out of the game. To his credit, Mendy saved it, it was a poor take but Mendy read it well and didnt commit early. Second half we out run, out worked and out passed them, even the finishings were good if not for a couple of offsides.The squad players all stepped up, Ziyech has that class about him, and Alonso always has that goal in him. Credit for Kante and Werner for outstanding work rate after the Wednesday game, Werner's finshing is back, now he just have to stand onside. We always went for the winner, it's not that freak luck we got there, very few teams would have gone after City like we did.

Such a big 3 points when all is said and done. I’d have happily settled for a draw   To rest players and get 3 points at the pointy end of the season is right up there. 

46 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I do think it was a Pen tbh, Zouma couldn't get a clear tackle in, but made contact 3 or 4 times with Sterling, i just think it was very clumsy defending by kurt....

Watching it live I definitely feared the worst. It was on seeing the replay I saw what Sterling did. Still it could have been given on another day. Mind you, given Sterling should have been sent off, you could argue chelsea were hard done by in the first place. 

5 hours ago, Malta Blue said:

Nut sure about this one mate, apart from KDB who was missing?

City best lineup 

Foden - KDB - Mahrez 

Gundo - B Silva 

Fernadinho

Zinchenko/Cancelo - cb - cb - Walker 

So pretty much everyone

Sterling goes down in the box everytime there's the slightest touch or strong wind, in this instance it back fired against him. It's a 50-50 for me, if Sterling tried to stay up then tumble, be an easy PK given. The face he almost premeditated to go down helped the referee, it's a debatable call but NOT clear error, and for once VAR stayed out of it for our sake.

Smash and grab really. Two f**kups at the end of the first half should have ended it, but thankfully Aguero decided to be a hero.

After that it's hard to argue that we didn't deserve something from the game. Ziyech's pressing on Rodri and then finish were superb as was CHO's work for the goal.

On the Sterling incident I thought they were both soft penalty claims. One was given one wasn't. He is waiting for the contact and then goes down. We won't get away with that with European refereeing in the final but we'll take it for now. 

Not a good performance at all but enough to put us in the box seat for a CL place next year. Leicester x 2, Arsenal, Villa, City left. If we win all of those it could be a magnificent season. Lose them and it'll be a disaster. All still to play for.

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Sterling goes down in the box everytime there's the slightest touch or strong wind, in this instance it back fired against him. It's a 50-50 for me, if Sterling tried to stay up then tumble, be an easy PK given. The face he almost premeditated to go down helped the referee, it's a debatable call but NOT clear error, and for once VAR stayed out of it for our sake.

I agree. I think you get more help from the ref if your reputation is for staying on your feet. Note how many penalties Didier missed out on because he was regarded as someone who went down easy.

I actually thought VAR got it right. Sterling is anticipating and then goes down of his own volition as soon as he feels it, rather than because of the contact. In the strictest sense that is simulation, but very well disguised and hard to give a card for.

In any case his earlier challenge for his yellow was very orange. He could have easily gone off.

Whatever happened to that PL rule that you need to field your strongest team for the competitions integrity?

I remember years back Everton bringing that up and threatening to sue us if we rested players for a home game against Bolton ahead of the fa cup final when a Bolton win would relegate them.

I imagine West ham, liverpool, Leicester etc are pretty unhappy City rested 9 players and started 9 deemed not good enough to face PSG.

10 hours ago, OneTommyLangley said:

A proper player would have got his shot away, but Sterling chose the easier option to go down. If that happens for England it will be very disappointing.

Not too impressed with him refusing to shake hands with Azpi, bit sulky not fitting of a team captain.

exactly.. and even the first one was not a penalty.. Jesus actually jumps away from the ball and barges into Gilmour.. that was not a penalty..

5 hours ago, Bob stark said:

City best lineup 

Fodenfa cup played most of second half, pl played last 25 minutes) -

KDB(fa cup played first 48 minutes) - Mahrez 

Gundo (fa cup played last half hour) -

B Silva 

Fernadinho (fa cup played the whole match)

Zinchenko (PL played last 10)

/Cancelo (fa cup played the whole match)

- cb - cb -

Walker 

So pretty much everyone

The original argument being we beat their B team both times. See how many minutes your version of their best line up got in the 2 matches, most the FA cup.

Anthony Taylor watching Sterling 

12 mins: studs up tackle to Werner's leg. Can't give a red so early to change the entire game. Yellow for him. What a c**ty tackle that is though. 

44 mins: Scores a goal. Stole it from Aguero. Not surprised. 

55 mins: Azpilicueta defends well and the ball rolls out of the line. Azpi hand slaps Sterling. He is angry. Azpi tries to apologise but Sterling keeps moaning. What a c**t. That yellow seems a mistake now. Should have been a straight red. 

80 mins: Zouma makes a late lunge on Sterling and hits the ball perfectly. What a brilliant tackle by Air Zouma. 

88 mins: Air Zooms is fouling Sterling in every way possible. If this was not that little c**t that would be a penalty. But this is a game of men, not c**ts. No foul. 

92 mins: Was that Alonso or CHO scoring. Not sure. Nice pass from Werns though.