Random Rumours

This is where we f* up, should have sold Willian to Barca for 60M, hand that money to Dortumund and we would had a first bite at the Pullisic deal. Instead, we are keeping Willian, or waiting for a bigger offer from United. Pullisic won't be that keen if he has to battle Willian for that starting spot, he needs to play regularly, not in and out of the team like a normal 20 year old signed Chelsea. We are in a bidding war, and could possibly have avoided if we acted earlier and more decisively.

1 hour ago, TheFunkeyGibbon said:

There's hints that Christian Pulisic might be bring hawked ariund by Dortmund. He's be expensive (£60m+) but he's a hell of a tallent and 19 had a lot of room to grow. Thoughts?

My somewhat controversial view is that Pulisic is overrated because he is the great white hope of USA football and a massive part of the English speaking football blog/Twitter community is American.

He's a a decent player for his age but his end numbers are mediocre and he gives the ball away lots. He completes about 40% of his take-ons/dribbles (for comparison Willian, Pedro and RLC complete about 65. Hazard close to 80). You can't be paying 70m for that. 

4 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

My somewhat controversial view is that Pulisic is overrated because he is the great white hope of USA football and a massive part of the English speaking football blog/Twitter community is American.

He's a a decent player for his age but his end numbers are mediocre and he gives the ball away lots. He completes about 40% of his take-ons/dribbles (for comparison Willian, Pedro and RLC complete about 65. Hazard close to 80). You can't be paying 70m for that. 

I think he's overrated in the sense that he's not as good as most Americans seem to think because he's already the best player American player in the world. He is only 19 though so it's not like he is the finished product. 

ffs have we not learnt nothing from the last 6 years , one decent /big signing a season  baka last season  Jorgh this, unleast we sell as in (costa / morata )   the rest will average at best  , we will not sign another first team player this year and you can bring this up if and when we do

8 hours ago, eimreidin said:

Possibly one of the players I'd prefer most in todays market - imagine him costing ~£60m but Dembele ~£135m last year. He's a natural right winger, already has experience in one of the biggest leagues in Europe and the Champions League and is only 19. Could (and I think would) become a Chelsea star.

But if Pulisic is 19, if we did buy him, we would only put him back out on loan and never play for us anyway.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if any signings we do make before this window shuts are completely out of left field and under the radar. Most likely that the media don't have a clue who we are after and what is happening behind the scenes.

We definitely need to sell or loan a few players to free up space for any signings.

The club web site lists 26 players in the first team squad, not including these 6 : Green, Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek, Abraham, Bulka, Piazon.

In addition, expecting the following 15 to all be sold or loaned : Brown, Collins, Dabo, Dasilva, Feruz, Hector, Kalas, Miazga, Omeruo, Quintero, Thompson, Tomori, Ugbo, Wakefield, Zouma

Van Ginkel on the long term injury list of course ....

I think we'll see 3 or 4 in, 3 or 4 out, and the rest sent out on loan.

26 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

If we sign anymore non homegrown players, somebody will have to leave. 17 is the limit, and we are currently at that limit.

Great point and perhaps an indication as to why we appear to be so slow in getting these deals done. Presumably we have to ensure that the outgoing deal is sewn up and ready to go before agreeing the incoming deal, hence why the possible Courtois transfer is stuck in limbo.

I see that Willian is now being quoted as saying he is very happy at Chelsea and likes being in London.

I'm hoping the Premier League ditch this shorter transfer window idea next season. It's already proving to be a problem, especially when there is an international tournament in the middle of it. How can a coach assess his team when so many of them aren't available to be assessed? A lot of clubs will have 1 week to assess their team before the transfer window closes, it's stupid. 

10 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm hoping the Premier League ditch this shorter transfer window idea next season. It's already proving to be a problem, especially when there is an international tournament in the middle of it. How can a coach assess his team when so many of them aren't available to be assessed? A lot of clubs will have 1 week to assess their team before the transfer window closes, it's stupid. 

Agree it certainly needs looking at even if only for the seasons where there are international tournaments.

Been so quiet with transfers since Sarri/Jorginho was announced. 

I think our remaining transfers will be:

- Keeper (Probably Reina)

- Willian for Martial swap

Then we will focus on outgoings during August. It’s getting quite late to do any major deals now. 

50 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Been so quiet with transfers since Sarri/Jorginho was announced. 

I think our remaining transfers will be:

- Keeper (Probably Reina)

- Willian for Martial swap

Then we will focus on outgoings during August. It’s getting quite late to do any major deals now. 

I dont expect any major signings with 9 days left now. Maybe a new goalkeeper but no Martial/Pulisic/Bailey. 

12 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

That's why I think teams are so reluctant to sign/sell players this window, especially with the fees being thrown around.  We are linked with players Sarri either knows quite well or the one signing we do have he poached from his former team!  

28 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Rumours of Giroud going to Marseille for 20-30m Euros. Be fantastic if we can get that much for him but imagine he'd be a great commercial signing for a French team having just won the world cup.

Morata and Bats to battle it out for the number 1 spot.

Can't imagine we'll get that much for him but I'd be very happy if he left, if it meant Tammy stayed and started getting game-time with us. We'll need 3 strikers because of the number of games we'll have.

I like Giroud and he's been a good signing but I'd rather start thinking forward now.

43 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Giroud is a better player than many give him credit for. Now did he not join us over other European teams because his family is settled and happy in London? Does that change cause it is a French team linked? Or is it sarri does not rate him?

I think it’s just down to the fact that he doesn’t fit Sarri’s pressing system very well.  Sarri probably still rates him as a footballer but he doesn’t have the legs to play how he would need to play, to see the pitch.