Thank You Mr Roman Abramovich

Eight Times
Chelsea Megastore

I just dont get that viewpoint, we won our first double under Carlo playing some great exciting football along the way & then finished 2nd a year later with a depleted squad & two marquee signings in the Jan which one of whom we didnt need at the time(Torres) & David Luis which was to little to late, under AVB/Di Matteo we finished 6th in the PL, yes we won the CL under Di Matteo & he deserved to be treated better but maybe if Carlo had got a 3rd season & the right signings who knows what he could have won us.

Regrettably that was the view at the time. The general consensus on the old BBC 606 forum was that although he was screwed over with the Wilkins saga, he looked completely lost and bereft of ideas without him.

He did play exciting football but before our new year revival, we were fighting for a top 4 place. We did managed to claw UTD back after their bad run but completely crumbled at OT.

In those days, we clearly had the best squad in the league IMO, but yeah similar to this season, the board didn't do a good job in the summer transfer window, only the impact was no where near as bad as today  and we started the season on fire until Drogba got malaria and the Wilkins sacking (IF only we signed Aguero).

He was hard done by, no denying that.

Interesting insight this, once again Roman doesnt come out in a good light in some parts, the club considered bringing back Grant after Jose went, that shows just how out of touch the club are with us fans, & to think us CPO get vilified for having our concerns about giving up our shares.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/the-great-chelsea-comedown/

Absolutely fanisating article and sounds plausible that all that happen given timescales involved. Roman gave him time. The article doesn't paint Jose in a good light at all.

I thought the quote from a player about "half the dressing is crying, the other half is celebrating" was interesting. It was clear that Jose just simply lost it and couldn't maintain the dressing spirit.

Edited by JM7

Interesting insight this, once again Roman doesnt come out in a good light in some parts, the club considered bringing back Grant after Jose went, that shows just how out of touch the club are with us fans, & to think us CPO get vilified for having our concerns about giving up our shares.

There's a whole lot of rumours being stated as fact in that article.

Very much peddling a narrative there.

I really liked Carlo, and I think we would have won back to back trophies if we had made better decisions in that summer. Very similar to Mourinho's situation this time around.

Similar to Jose? Carlo was sacked for coming second, Jose was sacked because Chelsea were 1 point off relegation. That comparison is very unfair to Carlo.

Interesting insight into the club by Carlo Ancelotti and the latest article about our downfall certainly paints in Jose in a bad light, but I think it misses some fundamental points about our downfall. Most notably, it seems to infer the downfall began with a pre-season match in New Jersey rather than at another point and suggesting it all started with one match is a little disconcerting. There's also nothing about our lack of transfer activity in the summer which in my view makes up an essential ingredient in understanding our downfall.

The article certainly points to the idea that Jose was a toxic influence to the playing group and that ultimately his downfall was all self-inflicted rather than it being contributed by a number of factors including Jose's actions. I do believe that Jose lashed out towards the end and there were obvious signs of growing discontent but to say it was all down to him is rather simplistic.

If our downfall was down to Jose, you would assume that normality would have been restored and the playing group would go back to it's normal self, yet under Guus we only recorded one win at home (although we somehow managed to be 15 matches unbeaten in the league at one stage) and in the end under Guus we were the 8th best team in the EPL based on results and our ladder position in post-Mourinho era this season.

On a separate matter, it's very difficult to analyse Roman as he's done so much good for the club over the last decade but certain decisions by him and his advisors have left a bitter taste in my mouth. Sacking Jose the first time was a massive mistake, our treatment of Carlo Ancelotti a season after we won the double was appalling, our treatment of Roberto Di Matteo after delivering the ultimate trophy that Roman craved for was also appalling and while some are split on this, I've always believed we will rue the decision we sacked Jose for a second time but hopefully I'm wrong about that in the long run and Conte can get us back on track.

Fear? I Pray that's the next gift from Roman!

You think that would be a good idea then? Another over the hill 35 year old name, past his best, spent the last four years playing in a league on par with the Scottish PL, only bothered about himself, and here for one last big day? Certainly sounds like a Roman signing.

And I thought we wanted a new era and a different culture under Conte.

It's Bleacher Report and there's a lot of unverified claims in there, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. It's also strange that the author dwells on a pre-season game against an MLS side (that I'd completely forgotten about anyway) as the start of our downfall.

Roman's essentially interest free loan to Chelsea has ticked over the £1bn mark.  He pumps a truck load of money into all aspects of the club and I'm extremely grateful for it.  He has a passion for the club and an interest that other owners don't.  I loved his reaction to Shevas goal in the community shield

Roman to open the cash vaults, perhaps

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/01/chelsea-will-have-a-very-busy-summer-says-chief-scout-piet-de-visser-5917424/?

Chelsea are set for a ‘very busy summer’ with Roman Abramovich ready to spend big, according to chief scout Piet De Visser.

The Blues endured a disappointing season, which left them without silverware and Champions League football.

Club owner Abramovich is determined that a similar fate will not befall the club during the next campaign and De Visser is expecting to be as busy as he was at the start of the Russian’s reign.

‘Chelsea will have a very busy summer,’ he told The Sun.

‘Abramovich is desperate not to have another terrible season.

‘I’ll be as busy as I was in 2003-2008.’

If what he says is true, Chelsea fans can look forward to a summer spree at Stamford Bridge.

Jose will have 200mil to his disposal. Pep will also have small fortune to spend and improve his already badass squad. I think this put a little pressure on Roman to stay at the top level. But obviously it's not about how much we can spend but how wisely we can spend over the summer.

It will be an interesting season!

Some of the stuff in there is hard to read. Especially the part where he demanded the team win, or there will be changes to the team. This is football, anything can happen and that is no way to motivate a team. I can imagine half the squad being ultra fearful of a costly mistake and playing with no freedom at all. 

However i do like this quote  “I want to find a manager that gives my team an identity, because when I watch Chelsea I’m not able to find an identity. When I see Barcelona or Manchester United, I find an identity in the team — when I watch Chelsea I cannot find an identity.” This is true, and although this takes time there was no progression from Jose with this. He only ever established a negative identity for CFC. Im glad Roman is thinking along those lines.

Some of the stuff in there is hard to read. Especially the part where he demanded the team win, or there will be changes to the team. This is football, anything can happen and that is no way to motivate a team. I can imagine half the squad being ultra fearful of a costly mistake and playing with no freedom at all. 

However i do like this quote  “I want to find a manager that gives my team an identity, because when I watch Chelsea I’m not able to find an identity. When I see Barcelona or Manchester United, I find an identity in the team — when I watch Chelsea I cannot find an identity.” This is true, and although this takes time there was no progression from Jose with this. He only ever established a negative identity for CFC. Im glad Roman is thinking along those lines.

Sounds great in theory, but will Roman allow this to happen though?

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day so if the owner wants us to have our own unique identity he needs to be patient with Conte and those around him, otherwise we will continue to go around in circles and just plod along and win the odd trophy here and there but never be a serious contender in dominating English football.

I can't say enough how much I disagree with that statement.  

It's been discussed enough, but surely the great teams adapt and change as often as possible to remain successful.  I certainly see us with an identity, i can't really articulate it the way I see it and others haven't agreed when I've tried, but I certainly don't see us running around like a headless chook which so many people seem to suggest.

Sounds great in theory, but will Roman allow this to happen though?

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day so if the owner wants us to have our own unique identity he needs to be patient with Conte and those around him, otherwise we will continue to go around in circles and just plod along and win the odd trophy here and there but never be a serious contender in dominating English football.

I agree patience is needed, regarding results not style. I think if Jose persisted with trying to play the front foot attacking football we had in first half of Title wining season, then Roman would be able to take a few bad results on the chin (ie losing 5-3 away at Spurs). Jose reverted to type and we ended up scraping over the line, particuarly performance wise and you cant blame roman for not seeing the lack of evolution that Jose promised. 

Regarding being able to adapt, of course you will need to defend well and for long periods in certain games. But its the premise that our first thought is the way CHELSEA play and not about the other team. You say the great teams adapt? Well I dont see Barca changing there style ever? I dont see Bayern under Pep sacrificing there style and identity? I dont see Dortmund under any manager sacrifice there style and Identity?

For a long time I have felt we have been very mechanical and laboured.

Ancelotti had us playing the best looking footy that I can remember in the Roman era, although Jose MK 1 was pretty damn good results wise.

I can't say enough how much I disagree with that statement.  

It's been discussed enough, but surely the great teams adapt and change as often as possible to remain successful.  I certainly see us with an identity, i can't really articulate it the way I see it and others haven't agreed when I've tried, but I certainly don't see us running around like a headless chook which so many people seem to suggest.

From what I have seen GREAT teams do not adapt their game, they impose their game upon their opponents. A truly great team, you know what they are going to be coming at you with. You just can't do s**t about it.

Edited by Kev123

From what I have seen GREAT teams do not adapt their game, they impose their game upon their opponents. A truly great team, you know what they are going to be coming at you with. You just can't do s**t about it.

But then when they face a problem, they have no answers as they cant adapt. Example: Barcelona against us in 2012. They had no plan b. they passed, passed, passed but it didnt shift us at all.

But then when they face a problem, they have no answers as they cant adapt. Example: Barcelona against us in 2012. They had no plan b. they passed, passed, passed but it didnt shift us at all.

youre picking one example whereby there game didnt work. The point is it works, at the very highest level, alot more than it doesnt,

You make it sounds like we got them under controlled in that game.. There were lots of last ditch tackles and near miss situation where we barely got away from, not too mention messi's penalty missed and surprisingly a cool goal from ramires of all people..  In truth, that match could have easily gone the other way.. 

and teams bound to face problem, sometimes it's not their day, no other explanation, it happens to all the teams.. 

• 1 month later...