Ruben Loftus-Cheek

I get a little confused when players go out on loan as to what the expectation/hope is in each case?

I’m thinking that there are at least 3? permutations of rational behind the player going on loan;

1) definitely not for sale, don’t care about wages etc , just want the player to get some game time and prove they are good enough for us at someone else’s risk- definitely returning to the team come what may? 

2) possibly for sale but it the loan exceptionally goes well , then they come back into the fold, if the loan goes no better than ok, then all reasonable  offers might be considered ?

3) definitely not wanted at CFC, so a shop window for potential buyers, get them off the wage bill, get them away from the squad?

For example, I would say Danny Drinkwater is a category 3 - I know he isn’t currently on loan , but when he went to Villa and if he were on loan now, I would guess that cat 3 would be the clubs expectation?  

Where does Loftus-Cheek sit ?

Edited by Paddy
4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I get a little confused when players go out on loan as to what the expectation/hope is in each case?

I’m thinking that there are at least 3? permutations of rational behind the player going on loan;

1) definitely not for sale, don’t care about wages etc , just want the player to get some game time and prove they are good enough for us at someone else’s risk- definitely returning to the team come what may? 

2) possibly for sale but it the loan exceptionally goes well , then they come back into the fold, if the loan goes no better than ok, then all reasonable  offers might be considered ?

3) definitely not wanted at CFC, so a shop window for potential buyers, get them off the wage bill, get them away from the squad?

For example, I would say Danny Drinkwater is a category 3 - I know he isn’t currently on loan , but when he went to Villa and if he were on loan now, I would guess that cat 3 would be the clubs expectation?  

Where does Loftus-Cheek sit ?

Matt Law has stated that RLC requested the loan because he wanted to get game time after his lengthy spell on the sidelines, he also strikes me as a player who performs better with a run of games. RLC realised that due to healthy competition in the Chelsea squad minutes for him were going to be limited. 

RLC has also come out himself and said that he still envisions his future as a Chelsea player.

All that suggests he is in Category 1.

1 minute ago, Imran_CFC said:

Matt Law has stated that RLC requested the loan because he wanted to get game time after his lengthy spell on the sidelines, he also strikes me as a player who performs better with a run of games. RLC realised that due to healthy competition in the Chelsea squad minutes for him were going to be limited. 

RLC has also come out himself and said that he still envisions his future as a Chelsea player.

All that suggests he is in Category 1.

Yeah, that’s his end of the opinion, I wonder what the club thinks ?  I also wonder how much game time he would have gotten if he stayed cause no one in his department is knocking things out of the park at the moment ?  

Fair play to him for pushing the loan deal, guess it’s his shop window to FL ? He does frustrate me , he’s got it all I feel, but maybe there just isn’t enough fire in his belly and he did have a terrible injury to overcome too , maybe that’s more of a problem that I realise ? 

Cant help but think he’s in Cat 2 ?

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Yeah, that’s his end of the opinion, I wonder what the club thinks ?  I also wonder how much game time he would have gotten if he stayed cause no one in his department is knocking things out of the park at the moment ?  

Fair play to him for pushing the loan deal, guess it’s his shop window to FL ? He does frustrate me , he’s got it all I feel, but maybe there just isn’t enough fire in his belly and he did have a terrible injury to overcome too , maybe that’s more of a problem that I realise ? 

Cant help but think he’s in Cat 2 ?

I would say that all players out on loan actually fall in to all sections, or more accurately your option 2 is the cover all 

19 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I would say that all players out on loan actually fall in to all sections, or more accurately your option 2 is the cover all 

Yeah maybe, you could well be right, but surely some players like Drinkwater and Bakayoko have had their day and others are ‘untouchable’ like Malang Sarr ? Although I suppose everyone has a price ?

I do feel really sorry for Loftus-Cheek. Just as he breaks through and becomes a regular starter for us and gets close to breaking into the England first 11, he picks up an injury that ruined an entire season. He then struggles to recover from that injury and is forced to go on loan again which he probably never wanted to do, and to a club that is probably the worst in the league. He's probably not just struggling for confidence right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's struggling to stay motivated as well. 

4 hours ago, Deino said:

Quality-wise. I believe he's better than both Mount and Barkley but if he can't stay fit for 2 seasons, he should probably move to a different league.

No point having a tank if all you do is let it rust in the garage.

Which quality of his is better than Mount? 🙂 He's stronger, maybe faster but that's it. Mount has better short and long range passing ability, better movement, better instincts in front of goal and shooting technique, much better technique in general. And if 'effort' is a quality, Mount is way ahead.

35 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Which quality of his is better than Mount? 🙂 He's stronger, maybe faster but that's it. Mount has better short and long range passing ability, better movement, better instincts in front of goal and shooting technique, much better technique in general. And if 'effort' is a quality, Mount is way ahead.

RLC has a better touch, vision and dribbling in my opinion. I think the long passing is pretty even. RLC gets hammered for his effort but its often pretty harsh, he puts in the effort but in his role he isnt expected to hunt down the ball like Mount, that doesnt mean hes lazy. 

I think RLC's perceived ability  got better the longer he was injured. I was never convinced he was going  to be a consistent player of real quality before he got injured although I accept he showed occasional glimpses of quality. 

I suspect we will never see him play for Chelsea again and he will play his career in a more mid to lower league table team. 

3 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Going forward  if we play 433 alot more, with too number 8's there is room for one of Barkley and Loftus Cheek to stay next season. Who would you guys rather stay between the two?.

Based off the last year, I would have to pick Barkley.

He's 24 going on 25 and still a raw talent, Mason is 3 years younger yet played 30% more games than him. But I think he can be good enough for Chelsea (bench at least) if he can stay fit and play like he did under Sarri before he got injured.

Who knows though, Alonso was a mid 20s nothing player until he joined Chelsea, I don't think it's quite too late yet for Ruben.