JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

36 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Has anyone realised City has switched to a back 3 also 3-4-3 seems like this league is going for another revolution started by done Conte

Could be a similar situation as to when Jose brought the 4-3-3 to the PL in 2004 and it (and its variant the 4-2-3-1) became common place ever since, usurping the 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.

That being said, Rodgers' 3 at the back a few years ago was being lauded until every man and his dog started tearing it to shreds, the more it is used the more teams will become familiar with how to exploit it.

Edited by Jonty

Rodgers 3 at the back didnt work because his 3 at the back, were sh*t. Not to mention Rodgers couldnt set up to defend if his life depended on it. Same with LvG playing 3 at the back at Utd and everyone claminig they were "found out". No mention og the three being Blackett, Rojo and some academy  random

Edited by Xfaxtor

Fair enough, have a look in the Cahill/Luiz threads and you'll see similar things said about both of their defensive qualities, while Ibra very nearly showed us why playing a defender as small as Dave in a back 3 is dangerous early on yesterday.

Teams attacking through Alonso/Cahill's side and launching balls to the back post for big strikers to go up against Dave is still my main fear with this formation, but we'll see.

I dont think anyone is saying that Azpi playing as a right sided CB is ideal or that we cant upgrade any of our CBs, but as of now its the best we have and its working ver well. Yes, United created a chance on matchup thats clearly a missmatch. Every system can be exploited, theres not a formation/system in the world thats foolproof. Playing 3-4-3 is all about personell. If you have the right personell its very effective, especially against teams tjat plays two up top. I dont think its debatable that the 3-4-3 right now suits us alot better then 4-2-3-1

I dont think anyone is saying that Azpi playing as a right sided CB is ideal or that we cant upgrade any of our CBs, but as of now its the best we have and its working ver well. Yes, United created a chance on matchup thats clearly a missmatch. Every system can be exploited, theres not a formation/system in the world thats foolproof. Playing 3-4-3 is all about personell. If you have the right personell its very effective, especially against teams tjat plays two up top. I dont think its debatable that the 3-4-3 right now suits us alot better then 4-2-3-1

Exactly any system can be found out if that wasn't the case we wouldn't football the way we have it today. No system is fool proof but once you have the right personal any system can be extremely effective. It just happens now that our system change is starting to show the abilities of players who just needed that chance

Clearly we are much improved with the 3-4-3, all I am saying is that it's not exactly a new formation, and it's curious that no other successful team has used it to great effect in the PL before. So either we have found a way to make a formation work when it never has before, or teams will eventually figure out a way to exploit it in a way that 4 at the back formations cannot be, leading us to eventually go back. Hopefully it's the former but only time will tell.

Clearly we are much improved with the 3-4-3, all I am saying is that it's not exactly a new formation, and it's curious that no other successful team has used it to great effect in the PL before. So either we have found a way to make a formation work when it never has before, or teams will eventually figure out a way to exploit it in a way that 4 at the back formations cannot be, leading us to eventually go back. Hopefully it's the former but only time will tell.

Yes because this league was always thought to be a 4-4-2 no manager has persisted with 3-4-3 its normally 3-5-2 or a slight variation of that not 3-4-3.And just like a team my exploit 3-4-3 4 at the back has been exploited various times over and over again. No one in this league has had the experience with 3-4-3 like Conte has its time people stop thinking 4 at the back is some fool proof system that will always be reverted to if we lose again i still want to stick with the system as it seems to suit us and will bring a new identity moving away from the Jose identity

I was watching the motd analysis and when you look at what we do slowed down the system is brilliant.

It allows Dave or Cahill to give us an extra man in midfield with matic ready to cover it allows David luiz to go on one of his runs with no consequence.

The players are perfectly understanding where they need to cover, their positioning is perfect, it's a real credit to the managers and the players how quickly they have got this working and it's no accident we have kept 3 clean sheets, plus it does wonders for us attacking we have a +9 GD in the last 3 games.

We also shouldn't underestimate how important Moses is in this system he is doing a great job it's very hard to find a good wingback and he is a natural.

I dont think it's a case of other teams figuring out our system or whatever people are saying, the point is we always have cover and we are never left exposed.

Normally when playing against a 3 you look out wide for space but again the players understand this and we are stopping the wide balls especially on the right and have men in the middle when they come in, our left side is a bit weaker Alonso has less pace than Moses and has haz infront of him and I think we need zoumas pace on the left side of the back 3 to help with that, but all in all very impressive. 

Couldn't post on the match day thread as it is constantly scrolling.

I have managed, by way of some carefully worded posts, to get logged into the Red Café fans section and what fun that is today. I have been paying particular attention to the threads talking about their manager. I posted on there a few weeks ago that there were signs of some parallels with our season last year. The main criticism I came in for was that CFC isn't MUFC and any comparison was flawed because....... well basically they were a better club. I thought I would pay them another visit this morning and there are a number of fans already blaming Jose but a good number still want to stick with him. The typical comment is that he needs time to get the mix right, get the players playing to his system etc while others think it's the players fault and he needs to drop Fellaini, Smalling etc. there is no consensus as to whether it's the manager or the players. Ring any bells.

He may get it right of course and only time will tell but at the moment our manager has got it over him and with a smaller transfer budget.

Jose was completely out of order shouting into Conte's ear after the match. The Italian press are reporting that he was saying it was wrong to whip up the Chelsea fans when his team was losing 4 nil. If that is the case then he needs to take serious look at himself. He has wound crowds up before now and his team had just been smashed and he should have shown a little humility towards Conte. I somehow think we won't have to put up with these antics from Conte. Incidentally, quite a few Manure fans thought the same.

I will always be thankful for what Mourinho did for Chelsea...but I've got to say, I freakin' love Conte.

He has the intense passion of Mourinho, while maintaining the class of Ancelotti. There will be ups, and downs, but at this moment, I am hoping Conte will be in charge for many years to come. He has a very likeable, very infectious demeanour. I hope he's given a proper opportunity to build Chelsea up, because he's capable of it.

I think its also worth noting how many propects we have coming through that could thrive in the system. 

Christiensen will be like a £30m signing in the summer, and has been part of a back 3 at champions league level for 2 seasons now. 

Ake would also be suited to play in a back 3, i dont think he is tall enough to play in a 2, and i dont think he is good enough going forward to play left back at the highest level. 

Jay da silva is a natural left wing back, hopefully he will start training with the 1st team this season, as he looks like he has real star quality. 

Then is plenty of potential quality in midfield and attack that could play numerous positions. 

Conte has brought back a feel good factor around the club, and hopefully chalobah will be the 1st of many homegrown players to be part of this new era. 

I very much like Conte, always have. He seems very likeable and humble man. He also reacts to things in a right way.

Right from the start he has done things right. I think the mood among the squad is good and after this win Conte will get even more out of training sessions as the players trust him and what he is saying to them. 

2 hours ago, big blue said:

Jay da silva is a natural left wing back, hopefully he will start training with the 1st team this season, as he looks like he has real star quality. 

Then is plenty of potential quality in midfield and attack that could play numerous positions. 

Conte has brought back a feel good factor around the club, and hopefully chalobah will be the 1st of many homegrown players to be part of this new era. 

I think we could develop Kennedy into a good left wing back as well he has bags of talent, if we can finish top 4 surely the future is bright, this is a key season.

We have no major weaknesses I see except GC and Alonso isn't quite up to scratch although he has done very well for us. 

I think if we bring zouma in for GC sign a quality LWB and a world class right winger we have a team that could compete with anyone.

I was all for a creative CM but matic playing to his potential is phenomenal along with kante plus creativity is clearly not an issue in this set up our wb's give us width so haz and the rw can play through the middle, I'm so relieved to see this walking round the box bollox is a thing of the past, we feel like Chelsea again what a f**king relief and thank you Mr. Conte.

33 minutes ago, JoseBlues said:

While Moses has done well, I would not like him to start games as he is still very limited. An upgrade there would help.

I take it you haven't watched any of the last three games then ? Or are you just a bit incredulous how a player frozen out by Mourinho can be such a relevation under a better man-manager ?

Edited by Sexyfootball
Word change

I take it you haven't watched any of the last three games then ? Or are you still a bit sore that a player frozen out by your hero is such a relevation under a better man-manager ?

I mentioned he has done really well. Can we do better? I think we can. He should be sub in my opinion if we ever make it back to the CL. Where did Jose come into this or do you just bring him to prove your point, be it across any discussion?

I like him as he is a hard worker but he is limited.

4 minutes ago, JoseBlues said:

I mentioned he has done really well. Can we do better? I think we can. He should be sub in my opinion if we ever make it back to the CL. Where did Jose come into this or do you just bring him to prove your point, be it across any discussion?

I like him as he is a hard worker but he is limited.

Struggling to come up with any reason why you wouldn't want Moses to start after his performances in the last three games, or all season come to that. Different strokes for different folks I guess ...  :)

Anyone surprised by how "indifferent" we seemed towards Jose? I expected a much bigger fanfare but apart from the odd chant towards the end, the fans seemed not too bothered. 

He's not the Same Jose

I thought Conte should of gave it back and more to Mou, can't believe he had the audacity to come back to our patch and talk about being humiliated, loss of memory dear boy, still showing that lack of class, which exudes from Conte....

Anyone surprised by how "indifferent" we seemed towards Jose? I expected a much bigger fanfare but apart from the odd chant towards the end, the fans seemed not too bothered. 

I was surprised as well. Maybe they wanted to show more respect towards Conte which I can totally understand.