JMaher94

Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

54 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Wasn't Rehhagel the one who won the league with Kaiserslautern?

51 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Apparently he was the one who turned Werder Bremen into a serious force as well.

You're right; my bad, I should have double checked (although those occurred some years before the EURO win). The victory was unheralded, but his managerial skill was not. That's what sloppy fact-checking can get you. *sigh*

EDIT: Damn, can't edit my prior post. 

Edited by DaRick

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 18:57, JoseBlues said:

Being the sore loser, I doubt he was going to entertain Conte later for a drink. Guess he said it before he left the stadium which he thought was private but didn't account for all the lip readers around :)

Of course people would not know about lip readers, that is why no body ever cover their lips with their hands these days. :laugh2:

On 10/25/2016 at 22:01, Floyd25 said:

You can't defend him this time, it was the definition of petulance, just shake the mans hand and move on. Giving Conte a lecture on when he should rally his own fans, in his own stadium is disrespectful and unnecessary, if he wanted to, he could have had a word in the dressing room, he did it because he was angry he didn't get his own way, simple. 

Or give each other a hug, like Conte and Bilic after the EPL cup game, it shows respect and magnanimity amongst peers. The fans will make up their own minds on each managers performance and abilities regardless. 

19 hours ago, DaRick said:

Juventus's schudetto domination has always been there regardless whoever their manager is.. You think it's because conte won it after calciopolli then it's legitimate? is there a possibility for a normal service resumes? Juventus could have regained their 'influence' in that league.. Like I said, juventus had a poor record in europe at that time, really poor for a so called powerhouse club..

I wouldn't look too much in conte's so called achievement with juventus in a fixing league because its integrity is suspect.. It's about the other record and I have to say it's nothing special.. A lot of managers doing well in lower league like neil warnok for example and as for cup competition, no argument as you already admitted any undistinguished manager could win it but what I don't get it is that how you could dismiss their triumph and said they're not on par with conte while conte himself didn't manage to win it with italy?

Even if conte did win it with italy, it should still be rated below someone who won it with greece because lets face it, italy is hardly an unfancy team to begin with..   The real test for conte is yet to come.. The premier league should gives us more information about conte's managerial ability.. we'll see..

Absolutely loving what Conte has built already in a relatively short time. Reminds me of those wonderful, early Jose times.

The confidence and team spirit is gaining week by week. Still early days and some tough fixtures coming up but the foundations are there. Just need everyone to carry on making their contributions - Courtois and the defence to remain a tight unit. Kante & Matic are getting better & better. Moses and Pedro to keep chipping in and continue working tirelessly. And our match-winners, Hazard & Costa to carry on being match-winners! That's the big difference Conte has made IMO - he is getting the best out of our key players and he has them enjoying their football again.

Conte has been the model professional, instead of kicking off at only getting the third highest net spend in the league, he got his head down, worked on what was best for the squad and is now reaping the rewards.

40 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Absolutely loving what Conte has built already in a relatively short time. Reminds me of those wonderful, early Jose times.

The confidence and team spirit is gaining week by week. Still early days and some tough fixtures coming up but the foundations are there. Just need everyone to carry on making their contributions - Courtois and the defence to remain a tight unit. Kante & Matic are getting better & better. Moses and Pedro to keep chipping in and continue working tirelessly. And our match-winners, Hazard & Costa to carry on being match-winners! That's the big difference Conte has made IMO - he is getting the best out of our key players and he has them enjoying their football again.

Agree there are parallels but one key difference that is endearing me to conte even more is his apparent lack of interest in the commercial element, he doesn't seem to be someone that would ever be interest in brand Conte. Can't help but think it has effected Jose some what 

1 hour ago, barak81 said:

1 hour ago, barak81 said:

Agree there are parallels but one key difference that is endearing me to conte even more is his apparent lack of interest in the commercial element, he doesn't seem to be someone that would ever be interest in brand Conte. Can't help but think it has effected Jose some what 

I've been thinking the same thing, Barak. I feel like the Mourinho of recent years is very different to the one of seasons past. He seems a lot less collaborative and a lot more authoritarian than before, somewhat paranoid and more narcissistic. I suspect a lot of this is because of his time at Real Madrid where the scrutiny and criticism became personal.

I hope that Conte doesn't go down the same path

Edited by SydneyChelsea

Certainly endearing himself to the supporters very quickly, was nice to hear his praise for the away support after the game today.

I'm interested to see what happens in the coming weeks with players like Terry, Ivanovic and Fabregas. The current back three is fine so I don't see Terry or Ivanovic playing their way in to the team but also when Zouma is fit again will he leap ahead of those two seeing as they're both in the last 12 months of their contracts.

Fabregas too, I'm not sure he's suited to play in this midfield and Chalobah has worked his way into Conte's plans by the looks of things.

I'm really intrigued to see how Conte continues to evolve this squad which has been built on playing 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

On 10/29/2016 at 13:13, bola said:

Juventus's schudetto domination has always been there regardless whoever their manager is.. You think it's because conte won it after calciopolli then it's legitimate? is there a possibility for a normal service resumes? Juventus could have regained their 'influence' in that league.. Like I said, juventus had a poor record in europe at that time, really poor for a so called powerhouse club..

By legitimate I was referring to the titles that were not stripped from them due to calciopoli

As I said, Juventus were going through a poor run and were not the powerhouse they had been before calciopoli. Had they picked the wrong manager after 2010/11, they could have become like Liverpool, rather than winning several Scudettos on the bounce.

I wouldn't look too much in conte's so called achievement with juventus in a fixing league because its integrity is suspect.. It's about the other record and I have to say it's nothing special.. A lot of managers doing well in lower league like neil warnok for example and as for cup competition, no argument as you already admitted any undistinguished manager could win it but what I don't get it is that how you could dismiss their triumph and said they're not on par with conte while conte himself didn't manage to win it with italy?

I don't dismiss their achievements, per se. However, there is a difference between managerial skill and managerial achievement. RDM, for example, has achieved a great deal as a manager, more than most managers ever will. But does his overall skill match his achievements?

Sadly no. IMO his sides are capable of defending or attacking quite well, but not both simultaneously. They tend to be erratic, inflexible and unbalanced. For example, his Chelsea side of 2012-13 played some beautiful, attacking football at times but lacked any real defensive solidity, no matter the opponent. I also get the sense that RDM lacks a Plan B once his Plan A is found out.

For these reasons, his sides lack staying power because opponents simply work his sides out after an initial good spell. Witness his mediocre league performances with West Brom and Schalke for example.

Your concerns about Serie A and Juventus are valid, but Conte's Juventus side is innocent until proven guilty of any impropriety.  

Even if conte did win it with italy, it should still be rated below someone who won it with greece because lets face it, italy is hardly an unfancy team to begin with..   The real test for conte is yet to come.. The premier league should gives us more information about conte's managerial ability.. we'll see..

Well, at this point he appears to be well and truly 'passing' this test, after an initial adjustment period. 

We are so lucky to have this man as our manager. Take it in, embrace & enjoy his tenure with us. I hope it's a very long one, loving everything I'm seeing at the moment.

13 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Certainly endearing himself to the supporters very quickly, was nice to hear his praise for the away support after the game today.

I'm interested to see what happens in the coming weeks with players like Terry, Ivanovic and Fabregas. The current back three is fine so I don't see Terry or Ivanovic playing their way in to the team but also when Zouma is fit again will he leap ahead of those two seeing as they're both in the last 12 months of their contracts.

Fabregas too, I'm not sure he's suited to play in this midfield and Chalobah has worked his way into Conte's plans by the looks of things.

I'm really intrigued to see how Conte continues to evolve this squad which has been built on playing 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

I'm interested to see if Conte will try Azpi at LWB instead of Alonso, and gave chance to Terry/Ivanovic/Zouma at CB (Ivanovic and Zouma are having bigger chance for that than Terry imo). Moses is cemented at RWB if he continues to play like this.

Having said that, I think LWB and RW are 2 positions we can certainly strength more (Griezman at RW would be mouth-watering), and if Moses gets injured (hope not) I think Conte will not hesitate much to try Willian there.

The one thing which slightly concerned me was when Moses was replaced with Ivanovic

This just goes to show that if Moses were to get injured Conte sees Ivanovic as a replacement, I would much rather Ivanovic cover the back 3 and maybe have Willian as cover for the RWB position

10 hours ago, DaRick said:

Ok, the old lady argument can be put to bed, it's vintage point, going nowhere.. We can focus on the other point..

When you're talking about managerial skill, does it involves tactic too or just man-management? I'm just about to agree with you on the latter but not yet with the former.. Lets take chelsea for example, lots of people are jumping on conte's bandwagon at the moment because they see the vast difference between this season and last season but in honesty, comparison should be made with 2 or 3 seasons ago while we were in normal state..

In term of playing style or tactic, I don't see too much differences, it's still about keeping it solid and counter attack effectively .. This pattern of playing style is way too familiar, anyone who says otherwise then he or she is having a dory moment, suffering a short term memory loss..  For example, you can rewatch the match against city away 3 seasons ago, it's a similar game to the last 4 epl games we had under conte.. What I'm trying to say here, the players aren't doing something new, it's already been introduced before under jose..

In most cases, the manager is only as good as the players make him out to be and conte is doing well in that regard so far.. Many people write us off, saying we need an overhaul and blah blah blah but I've always been confident in our quality, it's about getting them play as a working unit, team spirit is important...

Zero goals conceded and eleven scored you could say October was a good month ::clap2::If we can keep this form up you could start whispering the term title contenders. My fear is our starting 11 is by far the strongest 11 we have, there are very few players that if we lose them they have an equal replacement to cover probably only Pedro and GC, as good as Diego is we could still win with Bats he is very good cover just needs to get match sharp. Players like Haz, kante, and surprisingly Moses are irreplaceable to this system. We need to buy in a a CM and LB for depth/competition and I'd love to see a top class RW we are that close to an elite squad. 

Edited by DonAntonio

46 minutes ago, robdog said:

IMHO we could just play Nate a bit more - no real need at CM

I definitely agree. He's young and already shown what he's capable of. A few more games under his belt then I think he will be even more settled at Chelsea. Nice to see a few of the out of the picture players, getting a chance, especially Moses, he's thrived since starting week in week out.