Tiémoué Bakayoko

i still have faith in him, but not sure the manager knows his best position. i think if he was told to go forward more he would be more effective. he looks total opposite to matic (who's comfortable sitting deep) as he's powerful and likes to drive forward with the ball. just doesn't look like he's comfortable being a defensive minded centre mid at all. i wouldn't be surprised to see him thrive offensively. i would prefer to see a four at the back, kante sitting in front of the defence and bakayoko pushed further forward. 

Edited by enigma
6 minutes ago, enigma said:

i still have faith in him, but not sure the manager knows his best position. i think if he was told to go forward more he would be more effective. he looks total opposite to matic (who's comfortable sitting deep) as he's powerful and likes to drive forward with the ball. just doesn't look like he's comfortable being a defensive minded centre mid at all. i wouldn't be surprised to see him thrive offensively. i would prefer to see a four at the back, kante sitting in front of the defence and bakayoko pushed further forward. 

I would be confident if he was known for being an attacking player, but he’s not. He’s actually known for being a solid defensive output & engine in the midfield. Yet he looks like a Sunday league footballer compared to Kante.

His natural position is being a defensive midfielder/box to box

The Essien role. 

Edited by Slojo

His signing continues to boggle the mind. As I posted in earlier pages on here, he offers nothing but supreme redudancy. He offers nothing in attack. His awereness is woeful. He can't score goals. He can't make forward, incisive passes. He can't make quick, intuitive decisions on the ball. He rarely hustles back when he gets blown by by an opposition player. Bakayoko has never been an enterprising player. He's been a destroyer all of his career and he's not as good as Kante at that. He's never going to learn any of those other traits I mentioned. 

Kante is the far superior defensive midfielder. So what exactly is the point of 'em? I'm seriously wondering. Why exactly did our board sign him and what was their thinking behind it. On what planet is it a good idea to pair both Kante and Bakayoko together in a midfield 2 or seek to change from the 3-4-3 which brought us success last season to an untried 3-5-2 which is only sensible for matches against the big 6 or against the Champions league's best? 

Now Bakayoko's signing would have made some sense if he was actually a 15 million back up squad player to bolster our midfield from the bench. But he's supposed to be a 40 mil starter. This is absolute madness what is going on at this club. 

For me Conte has to shoulder some of the blame, if a player looks as bad as Bakayoko it's only fair to call into question Conte's tactics. He could be a different player if Conte were to use him as the anchor man in a 4-3-3 formation, i.e;

Bakayoko
   Kante - Fabregas

Makes Eddie Newton look world class.

Edited by the special one

The sending off was harsh IMO, but in all honesty he was having a stinker of a game up to that point.

He reminds me of that guy who convinced Souness he was George Weah's cousin.

Bakayoko is so far off the pace at this level you wouldn't even think he was a professional footballer.

The real problem for me is the amount of game-time he has had this season.

We've been far less patient with better players in the past.

He shouldn't be starting games for us.

Edited by 2211

He is essentially an extremely terrible version of Kante, which means he is utterly pointless in a midfield 2 with Kante. At Monaco he was known for 3 things:

Breaking up play and winning the ball back

Driving forwards with the ball into the attacking third

Playing passes to the wide men for width

Kante already does all of these things and to a higher degree then Bakayoko. Kante is more press resistant and harder to take the ball from when he dribbles forward and breaks the opponents line of defence. Kante is much busier around the pitch, much better positionally and much better at winning the ball back. Kante has better range of passing and is quicker when playing long balls. 

Bakayoko is A slower, less positionally aware, easier to tackle and less expressive version of Kante. Begs the question of why we bought him as he doesn't compliment our best midfielder at all. 

Funnily enough, his CM partner at Monaco would've been a much better fit for Kante then he is (Fabinho).

Also see with the money we have spent on Baka and Drinkwater...2 average...well one well below averge midfielders it comes to 60 odd million, how on earth did we manage that? The price you could buy a top, top midfieder and we bring those in.

Astounding that we can be so wasteful time and time again. 

When we were being linked to him last season, a lot of fans on here said he was good and they were glad we were being linked with him...........were you people lying and just pretending you knew more about the player than you really did ? The reason i ask is because he has been absolute crap for us. The player i am seeing is the player i seen in the Champions League last season. A poor player who was being carried by the rest of his teammates. The people that said they were watching him in France must have either been lying or over-exaggerating his performances.

Guys i'm going to state the defence for the guy even though I voiced my concerns about the signing when it happened. I voiced those concerns because I watched a good 15 or so games of Monaco last season and he never stood out to me. Now he didn't stand out as being great but neither did he stand out as out of place in a very good side. So there is a player there.

Now he arrived with an injury and I can't remember if he missed all, nearly all or just a hefty chunk of pre-season but it can have an impact no matter which it is. He's young, new to the country, league, language etc etc etc.

There's no denying he's been very poor but he's being managed terribly if you ask me. Conte should have started protecting him as early as 10 weeks ago by taking him out of it and giving him his minutes from the bench now and again. It's the one area where he have some options in Cesc, drinkwater, Ampadu and Luiz, hell even Azpi has done a job in midfield and done it well a few times under Mourinho.

Conte has let him down big time imo.

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

When we were being linked to him last season, a lot of fans on here said he was good and they were glad we were being linked with him...........were you people lying and just pretending you knew more about the player than you really did ? The reason i ask is because he has been absolute crap for us. The player i am seeing is the player i seen in the Champions League last season. A poor player who was being carried by the rest of his teammates. The people that said they were watching him in France must have either been lying or over-exaggerating his performances.

He looked average in that Monaco side, of all the potential stars in that team we went for the dud. Sods law 

3 minutes ago, startedwithglenn said:

Guys i'm going to state the defence for the guy even though I voiced my concerns about the signing when it happened. I voiced those concerns because I watched a good 15 or so games of Monaco last season and he never stood out to me. Now he didn't stand out as being great but neither did he stand out as out of place in a very good side. So there is a player there.

Now he arrived with an injury and I can't remember if he missed all, nearly all or just a hefty chunk of pre-season but it can have an impact no matter which it is. He's young, new to the country, league, language etc etc etc.

There's no denying he's been very poor but he's being managed terribly if you ask me. Conte should have started protecting him as early as 10 weeks ago by taking him out of it and giving him his minutes from the bench now and again. It's the one area where he have some options in Cesc, drinkwater, Ampadu and Luiz, hell even Azpi has done a job in midfield and done it well a few times under Mourinho.

Conte has let him down big time imo.

You're right, he had an injury and had no pre-season at all, i was defending him earlier in the season because of that, but we are at the stage now where performances are so bad that it can't be all to do with no pre-season. He's getting worse, not better, today was the worst of the lot. He was a disaster waiting to happen from the 3rd minute. He's making the basics look very difficult, that can't be down to a poor pre season.

He looks like the same player that played in the Champions League last season. He gives the ball away in stupid areas of the pitch and makes a ton of clumsy fouls.

Might be a controversial opinion after this horror show of a performance, but I still think Bakayoko has potential - for Monaco he proved that he was strong and somewhat energetic - but the difference is that at Chelsea he appears to have lost his ability to recycle possession under pressure, whereas at Monaco he could actually do this. 

Monaco's fans also warned us that he could be inconsistent and have lapses in concentration (plus his first touch was just OK at best) and unfortunately those warnings have been borne out by some awful recent performances (after what I thought was actually an OK start to his season). 

ATM too unreliable and unpolished to start for a club like Chelsea.