Callum Hudson-Odoi

On 06/01/2020 at 12:02, Spiller86 said:

Is it just me or does he look about a thousand times better playing from the right than the left? 

I used to think he was better on the left, but I am also starting to think the right wing may be his best position. He ended up moving to the left in the second half and I don't think he had the same impact as he had on the right.

40 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I used to think he was better on the left, but I am also starting to think the right wing may be his best position. He ended up moving to the left in the second half and I don't think he had the same impact as he had on the right.

Bit hard to tell. He's looked great on the left against the same class of opposition

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I think it makes him think a bit more. On the left it feels like his default is always to dribble and cut inside, on the right he has to consider things a bit more.  He also has a mean cross from that side. I'd like to see him there more regularly.

12 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I think it makes him think a bit more. On the left it feels like his default is always to dribble and cut inside, on the right he has to consider things a bit more.  He also has a mean cross from that side. I'd like to see him there more regularly.

As I have said before I would like him and Pulisic to be able to swap wings throughout a game bit like the Robben/ Duff / Cole days when they would swap around all the time. Gave the full backs nightmares 

1 hour ago, Bonzodog29 said:

As I have said before I would like him and Pulisic to be able to swap wings throughout a game bit like the Robben/ Duff / Cole days when they would swap around all the time. Gave the full backs nightmares 

Would be great if CHO and Pulisic got to that level. Duff, Robben and Cole was a phenomenal trio. Such a shame that injury took it's toll on Duff. 

We had such a well balanced squad then. World class with depth. 

His best performance to date, I'm not counting cup games against lower league teams, this was the real deal against a difficult opposition and he did well. There's still plenty to work on but most importantly his confidence was back and even his workrate was much better than usual. The goal obviously helped. Hopefully he'll keep working hard.

Definitely his best performance for a long time. If we are to forge a right hand side with James and CHO he is going to work back more as it leaves us vulnerable due to James's inclination to get forward. Don't want to turn him into a work horse either but he needs to find the balance that Willian delivers.

56 minutes ago, loz said:

Definitely his best performance for a long time. If we are to forge a right hand side with James and CHO he is going to work back more as it leaves us vulnerable due to James's inclination to get forward. Don't want to turn him into a work horse either but he needs to find the balance that Willian delivers.

What you mean he needs to take sh*t corners and have one good game in 10?!!!

His performance yesterday didn't really surprise me, he's been a lot sharper since Arsenal and even a few games before that there were positive signs he was really starting to retain sharpness again. It was quite fitting this was the fixture he fully exploded back to life given it was this same one that crippled him last year.

The most exciting thing yesterday for me was his chemistry with James, the more academy prospects get in and mature we will see relationships like that form all over the pitch.

The Southampton performance was abysmal, but he's steadily improved since the Arsenal match.

With Pulisic absent for the foreseeable future, CHO has the opportunity to stamp his authority in the first team.

9 hours ago, Jezz said:

The Southampton performance was abysmal, but he's steadily improved since the Arsenal match.

With Pulisic absent for the foreseeable future, CHO has the opportunity to stamp his authority in the first team.

He seems more relaxed and natural in what he’s doing, he was trying too hard to impress against Southampton I think which is understandable. Hopefully with his first PL goal it’s another bit of weight off his mind. He’s one of our few players who actually looks to score instead of pass, pass, pass. 

I would like to see less of these types of performance from Hudson-Odoi. I know he is still young, but his attitude today was very poor. Like Willian, he just didn't look that interested. He would take on his man and shoot a bit more than Willian, but it was very half hearted, and most of his runs were so easy to defend. His corners were what frustrated me the most, he looked so disinterested on every corner, and it shows with how poor they all were. They were lazy and uninspired. 

I do think a lot of the criticism for his attitude has been overblown at times, but days like today are only going to make things worse

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

I would like to see less of these types of performance from Hudson-Odoi. I know he is still young, but his attitude today was very poor. Like Willian, he just didn't look that interested. He would take on his man and shoot a bit more than Willian, but it was very half hearted, and most of his runs were so easy to defend. His corners were what frustrated me the most, he looked so disinterested on every corner, and it shows with how poor they all were. They were lazy and uninspired. 

I do think a lot of the criticism for his attitude has been overblown at times, but days like today are only going to make things worse

I think he looked interested, he just lacks maturity, carrying the ball for long periods of time, running into danger with it and that robana or whatever he tried to do at the end was ridiculous. You can tell that Pulisic is lightyears ahead in maturity, he would never do stupid things like that. 

The thing is, Callum will grow, this is what happens when we play youth, it's what was bound to come with it so we need to accept the drawbacks. 

Edited by Slojo
Just now, Slojo said:

I think he looked interested, he just lacks maturity, carrying the ball for long periods of time, running into danger with it and that robanna or whatever he tried to do at the end was ridiculous. You can tell that Pulisic is lightyears ahead in maturity, he would never do stupid things like that. 

I just don't see the same desire to make an impact that we were seeing from him last season. Like those corners today, if you gave him those corners last season, he would have whipped them in with pace, but he just didn't look like he could be bothered today. That same fire and determination we were seeing in him last season hasn't been there much this season. 

I've just posted in ratings thread - he reminds me of me at 19/20. Confidence player - if you start a game well we just go from strength to strength. Want the ball, try stuff, take players on and so it goes. But if he has a bad first 20 minutes, he hides a bit and won't try to beat his man and just gets worse and worse.

Coaching staff have the job on their hands to make him our match-winner. That may mean a loan move but he has to get his head right or he will just be added to the list of "what might have beens.........."

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

this is what happens when we play youth, it's what was bound to come with it so we need to accept the drawbacks. 

Not exactly. I rarely see Sancho does stupid things like that. And I've seen quite a bit of Sancho last season, not so much this season though.

On 18/01/2020 at 22:06, haviet1 said:

Not exactly. I rarely see Sancho does stupid things like that. And I've seen quite a bit of Sancho last season, not so much this season though.

Lets be honest, playing in Germany isn't even remotely close to playing in England though. Ademola Lookman looks great over there, even Christensen looked like an actual world class CB. Stick CHO in Germany and he'll pull out number like Sancho. 

On 18/01/2020 at 22:06, haviet1 said:

What? That's not true, Sancho recently got took off at halftime for doing stupid things and not taking it seriously enough. He's had plenty of immature performances. 

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

What? That's not true, Sancho recently got took off at halftime for doing stupid things and not taking it seriously enough. He's had plenty of immature performances. 

That's a bit disappointing. I haven't watch much of Dortmund this season. I thought he was quite mature and didn't do any of those foolish things last year.