Callum Hudson-Odoi

3 hours ago, coco said:

Callums team had an offer from Bayern to wave at the club during negotiations.

I know that why his salary is so high. Other youngsters with less potential will demand the same now. (probably) 

I just hope it will be worth it with Odoi but i guess i shouldn't worry about financial things. 

Unpopular opinion but I think it might just be time for a loan. His injury seems to have crippled his confidence and now he's be coming more of a liability when he's on the pitch. Loans really helped Tammy and Mason, and I think that it would be beneficial for CHO. Atm it looks like there's a lot of pressure on him from all directions (wages, performances, injury, and even attitude from some fans), playing out of the club for a year or two might actually help him.

16 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Unpopular opinion but I think it might just be time for a loan. His injury seems to have crippled his confidence and now he's be coming more of a liability when he's on the pitch. Loans really helped Tammy and Mason, and I think that it would be beneficial for CHO. Atm it looks like there's a lot of pressure on him from all directions (wages, performances, injury, and even attitude from some fans), playing out of the club for a year or two might actually help him.

Think you could be right and it seems even more likely now that we will try and land Zaha in January window.

Was hoping CHO would be a key player for us this season. Thought might be an impact sub at first before making a starting 11 place his own. But he looks lighjt years away right now and is making zero impact on games and not even a better option than Pedro. @loz is suggesting we should get what we can for him now and to be honest, he might be right but perhaps a loan somewhere might take the pressure off and improve his confidence. Who will want to pay his wages though?

Think you could be right and it seems even more likely now that we will try and land Zaha in January window.
Was hoping CHO would be a key player for us this season. Thought might be an impact sub at first before making a starting 11 place his own. But he looks lighjt years away right now and is making zero impact on games and not even a better option than Pedro. [mention=3]loz[/mention] is suggesting we should get what we can for him now and to be honest, he might be right but perhaps a loan somewhere might take the pressure off and improve his confidence. Who will want to pay his wages though?

For the record I'd love to be proved wrong. It would be great if he developed into a top class player and had a long and successful career with us. And I totally get the 'he is still young' point that sometimes get made.

However I'd be curious to know what it is that some people see in him that make them believe he is a genuine prospect. I can think of a handful of decent moments made by him, largely against weaker opposition. You look at the likes of Mount, James and Tomori making a breakthrough and you see players who are hungry to prove themselves. Yes they will make mistakes but Odoi is a different kettle of fish. He makes Stanley Matthews look lively (and I mean Matthews circa 2019!)

1 hour ago, dkw said:

To me he looks like a kid who's had his first real bad injury and is scared to commit to anything. 

This. 

His injury was painful, he was out for months, and the rehab really sucks.  Not surprised he'd be hesitant.  He looks a shell of his former self.  He is putting zero fear into defenders right now.

Today, he either just gave the ball away, or got knocked off the ball way too easily.   Looks short on confidence.  He is missing that swagger where he knew a big club wanted him desperately.  I will say that the leap to head the ball later in the 2nd half where he flipped over backward and hit his head/neck on the way down was a good sign.  Well timed, good leap, desire to get the ball.  

Edited by Boston Blue
3 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Unpopular opinion but I think it might just be time for a loan

He needs to be some place where he can play every minute of every game. I've said before, I'm shocked that he recovered that fast, but it's obvious the mental recovery and even physical recovery aren't there yet. 

He's a shell of his former self. And we've surprised a lot of people by being Top 4 and can't afford to re-habilitate CHO on the field. If the Championship was good enough for Mount, Tammy, and Tomori last year, it's good enough for CHO.

We're in desperate need of at least two more goal threats in this team. With the lineup we fielded today, we had one consistent goal threat in Tammy. 

2 hours ago, coco said:

Did you crack open a bottle and light up a cigar in victory ?

Yes, because I'm such a petty man, I'd prefer my team to lose just so that I could get back at you.

But seriously, what do you make of your boy? He looks like he could use a loan to get his form and confidence back.

30 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Yes, because I'm such a petty man, I'd prefer my team to lose just so that I could get back at you.

But seriously, what do you make of your boy? He looks like he could use a loan to get his form and confidence back.

Loan him to Bayern with no clauses, then they might pick him to play against us in Feb, if he plays well they might offer us that money again, if he plays crap we can leave him in Germany anyway, good plan ?

Or we could just realise that he's had nothing to do with our current appalling home form, and was dropped right into the middle of it today, and now is the current forum favourite goat.

When/if Frank sorts out this home problem, then i would bring Callum back in with sub appearances, until then he can't be a part of it.

Why don't the haters just give Callum 1 more year with no such silly pressure? What was he supposed to do at this point, to be our version of Cristiano Ronaldo? I don't think so.

I mean he isn't a key player but he's a nice player to have in the squad. He doesn't disrupt anything, not any system nor any player. He just sometimes shoots from distance and holds the ball in his feet too much. Maybe next season he will turn up as a new Anelka who knows?

Can't understand why would anyone want to see him going on loan somewhere when he already played many games for the first team and when we actually need wingers...

I think it’s because people want to see him fulfill his potential, and if sub appearances is all he’s going to get here, then that can’t be good for his confidence.

Imagine CHO going to say, Dortmund for a year. He becomes as big as Sancho, comes back here a completely new and refreshed player. That loan for Christensen worked a treat, we could do the same for CHO.

8 hours ago, coco said:

Loan him to Bayern with no clauses, then they might pick him to play against us in Feb, if he plays well they might offer us that money again, if he plays crap we can leave him in Germany anyway, good plan ?

Or we could just realise that he's had nothing to do with our current appalling home form, and was dropped right into the middle of it today, and now is the current forum favourite goat.

When/if Frank sorts out this home problem, then i would bring Callum back in with sub appearances, until then he can't be a part of it.

I don't think anyone blames him for our current team form, you're exaggerating again. I read through the comments after yesterday's game and not a single poster singles him out personally for the loss. And even if he's being criticized. it's for the right reasons, his performances have been disappointing.

I think CHO needs to go on loan somehere where he can play regularly and don't have the same pressure. Whether it's the consequences of the injury or his young age or combination of both, but he clearly isn't ready for the first team yet. Tomori, Mount and Abraham aren't just coulple of years older, they've had succesfull loans under their belt and it shows, they're ahead of CHO in terms of development and more assured in their performances. He needs the same.

Maybe give him until the end of the season but unless there's a dramatic change in a positive direction, Frank needs to sit the lad down and figure out the best loan option to help him improve his game and learn the ropes. It needs to be a very well thought out move because it could either turn into a positive step (Conor Gallagher at Charlton) or a waste of time (Ampadu at RB Leipzig). But most importantly, it's CHO's approach and attitude that needs to improve. He has to realize he's not a star youngster anymore, he's with the big boys now and every game is a test to prove your worth and learn valuable experience along the way. He needs to get his head down and work hard, in training and in matches. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, hard work will pay off eventually and we'll have a world class star on our hands.

CHO played extremely well today, very smart decisions, like taking the ball to the corner flag and wasting over a minute of time in injury time with that smart move.  Nice passes throughout, and some good tackling as well.  Just one very bad pass that I can recall that resulted in a dangerous counteract by Arsenal, which was problematic, but overall a very nice match from CHO.