Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I feel like we are at the most important period of the Roman Abramovich era. If things don't change quickly, and with that transfer ban (which I have no faith in seeing overturned) I think we are looking at a big set back for a few years. 

We will have no choice but to bring through a few youngsters over the next year, and if Sarri isn't the coach to bring these youngsters through, then he will have to go. We simply cannot go with the same approach next season, we would gain nothing from it.

Scoring the first goal is so important atm, if the opposition scores first specially playing at home does anyone really believe we are going to score 2, I knew we wasnt today. Fair enough Everton scored first but we done virtually nothing after that, we should be bombarding them but Everton look more dangerous than us.

13 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Scoring the first goal is so important atm, if the opposition scores first specially playing at home does anyone really believe we are going to score 2, I knew we wasnt today. Fair enough Everton scored first but we done virtually nothing after that, we should be bombarding them but Everton look more dangerous than us.

I have been banging on about this point for months. We go 1-0 down in a game we have been dominating - we usually end up losing. At no point do you feel confident we will get back in the game.

Now that does point to a squad of players that is "mentally weak" but the buck HAS to stop with the coach. This has been happening all season and yet he has been unable to address it. If other sides can come back from 1-0, 2-0, even 3-0 and still get something out of the game, why can't we? I'm fed up seeing our rivals come back in games and yet you watch us and are pretty much resigned to a defeat as soon as the ball hit's the back of our net and we go 1-0 down.

4 hours ago, Nibs said:

I have been banging on about this point for months. We go 1-0 down in a game we have been dominating - we usually end up losing. At no point do you feel confident we will get back in the game.

Now that does point to a squad of players that is "mentally weak" but the buck HAS to stop with the coach. This has been happening all season and yet he has been unable to address it. If other sides can come back from 1-0, 2-0, even 3-0 and still get something out of the game, why can't we? I'm fed up seeing our rivals come back in games and yet you watch us and are pretty much resigned to a defeat as soon as the ball hit's the back of our net and we go 1-0 down.

I think Cardiff at home is the only game that we've come back to win after going a goal down.

Shocking record.

On 14/03/2019 at 08:40, Kentonio said:

I still think given time and some player changes, Sarri can turn us into an English version of his Napoli team. It’s obvious we’re not playing the way he wants us to yet, and it’s equally obvious that he’s a manager with massive tactical knowledge based on his previous teams.

I’d have taken top 4 in a heartbeat after the mess of pre-season, and we’re fighting for it and also looking good in the EL. I don’t know what other fans were expecting, but this really isn’t some huge disappointment for me position wise.

I do wish the players were adapting to his tactics faster, but I think there’s a couple of players basically holding that progress up, and I really hope we can get rid of (or at least postpone) that transfer ban so we can get rid of a few and bring in people he thinks fit his ideas better.

I’m tired of changing manager every 5 minutes and I’m beyond tired of seeing the players downing tools when things get tough. It’s time for a new approach at Chelsea, and I reckon Sarri is as good a bet as anyone to bring it.

There's been a couple of games of late players have run unprecedented miles during a game, i don't really think it's a problem, they are trying just some aren't good enough.

I am actually a bit torn regarding Sarri at the minute, i actually like what he's trying to do system wise and especially like how comfortable we are in possession and the ease we play out of danger under pressure (which were big weaknesses even in our title winning sides) but at the same time the mentality this season is awful, the first blow in a game especially away from home and we collapse, Bournemouth and Everton i thought we were excellent in every sense bar finishing in the first half but we concede early in the second and lose the plot, even at City the opening few minutes we forced a couple of mistakes and looked like we were going to give it a good shot but we concede then another 3 follow in the next 20. 

What is crucial beyond any Sarri in or out argument is we carry on with the good stuff he's implemented and build from that, none of this back to reactive pragmatism because that's part of what created this problem in the first place.

It's getting difficult to support him when he keeps playing the same way week in week out, same players, same tactics and time and time again it isn't working. 

My doubts are settling in I'm going to be honest, all he knows is 4-3-3, can he please for the love of god just do something different... 

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It's getting difficult to support him when he keeps playing the same way week in week out, same players, same tactics and time and time again it isn't working. 

My doubts are settling in I'm going to be honest, all he knows is 4-3-3, can he please for the love of god just do something different... 

He can also switch between Kova and Barkley you know. ?

3 minutes ago, Semper Fi said:

He can also switch between Kova and Barkley you know. ?

So far this season we've seen that...

His subs are more predictable than Rafa and Conte combined. 

He plays out of form players more than Jose Mourinho.

He's as stubborn and tactically inept as AVB.

So it looks like he has a lot of the negative traits about our previous managers, but on steroids... Such a depressing f**king season. 

Edited by Slojo

Not a fan of his comments about the transfer market either, seems that he has no clue about any players that are outside of Napoli or Chelsea. 

I mean the two players he wanted are his ex two players from Napoli, just screams of laziness to me... 

Maybe he just needs a real kick in the arse to wake him up. For me he is this professor type who has a vision in his head and no matter what he goes by his ideas. He takes no advice and he doesn't want to see his players take liberties. 

10 hours ago, Nibs said:

It's a bit ironic that he keeps mentioning mentality problems whenever we lose games. First of, it's detrimental for a manager to sh*t on his own players publicly, even if he privately has reservations about them. Second, if that's the problem, why not address it? You're the manager, aren't you? What have you done to change it? You keep playing the same eleven for months, they keep failing and you moan about how mentally weak they are in the postmatch interviews. Does that make sense to anyone?

And thirdly, most of those players, for all their faults, won trophies in the recent past under other managers. Sarri has a big fat nothing in his trophy cabinet and yet we're supposed to believe that he's doing everything right but the players' weak mentality prevents the team from succeeding. 

8 hours ago, Slojo said:

Not a fan of his comments about the transfer market either, seems that he has no clue about any players that are outside of Napoli or Chelsea. 

I mean the two players he wanted are his ex two players from Napoli, just screams of laziness to me... 

Never actually thought about that, that's a good point

14 hours ago, Argo said:

There's been a couple of games of late players have run unprecedented miles during a game, i don't really think it's a problem, they are trying just some aren't good enough.

I am actually a bit torn regarding Sarri at the minute, i actually like what he's trying to do system wise and especially like how comfortable we are in possession and the ease we play out of danger under pressure (which were big weaknesses even in our title winning sides) but at the same time the mentality this season is awful, the first blow in a game especially away from home and we collapse, Bournemouth and Everton i thought we were excellent in every sense bar finishing in the first half but we concede early in the second and lose the plot, even at City the opening few minutes we forced a couple of mistakes and looked like we were going to give it a good shot but we concede then another 3 follow in the next 20. 

What is crucial beyond any Sarri in or out argument is we carry on with the good stuff he's implemented and build from that, none of this back to reactive pragmatism because that's part of what created this problem in the first place.

I agree with much of that. This is a results business but have enjoyed watching us play from the back, little triangles out of tight spots, neat football etc etc

We disappear up our own arses a bit but prefer it to much of the stuff served up by Mourinho’s and Conte’s teams.

Edited by Ewell CFC

British billionaire, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, is interested in buying Chelsea Football Club and has held initial talks over a potential takeover. Ratcliffe, who made his fortune by founding petrochemicals company Ineos, is thought to have a net wealth of £21billion. (Times) 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe had baulked at the £2.5b price, particularly given the mammoth extra costs that would follow with having to build a new stadium. The two parties are nowhere near an agreement at this stage, but Ratcliffe remains hopeful he will become the next #CFC chief (Times)

1 minute ago, JM7 said:

British billionaire, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, is interested in buying Chelsea Football Club and has held initial talks over a potential takeover. Ratcliffe, who made his fortune by founding petrochemicals company Ineos, is thought to have a net wealth of £21billion. (Times) 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe had baulked at the £2.5b price, particularly given the mammoth extra costs that would follow with having to build a new stadium. The two parties are nowhere near an agreement at this stage, but Ratcliffe remains hopeful he will become the next #CFC chief (Times)

This would make my day. New owner new direction.

6 hours ago, JM7 said:

A Man utd fan wants to buy Chelsea. At least Roman loves the club and has been a good owner, after him it will be worse specially if this guy takes over.

I see it differently, he may be a Utd fan yet his season ticket was at Stamford Bridge.

If he is coming to Stamford Bridge he wants to be entertained.

Roman has done well for the club yet the geopolitical climate with Russia is stormy to say the least. 

It might just work out.

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

I put it to one side when I first heard that he has nothing to do with transfers. 

The way he talks about it though is like he has 0 knowledge of players outside of his club. 

Yeah, when he said he doesn't like to get involved in transfers my perspective was kind of tinted by the clashes between the board and the previous managers so it didn't really bother me, but now looking at, Sarri's stance is basically the other extreme which is equally unhealthy. Any manager that has a specific brand of football has to have specific players that fit that brand which makes his input extremely important. 

51 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Yeah, when he said he doesn't like to get involved in transfers my perspective was kind of tinted by the clashes between the board and the previous managers so it didn't really bother me, but now looking at, Sarri's stance is basically the other extreme which is equally unhealthy. Any manager that has a specific brand of football has to have specific players that fit that brand which makes his input extremely important. 

Not only does he know the Napoli players best, he knows they can play the football he wants.  It's no surprise he wants them.

As for Ratcliffe, he's been inside the Bridge, he knows the atmosphere.  He's right in the middle of what supporters like, and what they don't like.  He's into sport, so he's competitive.  I think he'll want to win.  And he can be in the UK which means he can pay attention.  I know why Roman isn't at home matches, but the fact that he's not even been spotted at away Europa League games seems odd to me.  This is his chance to watch the team live and show his support/interest.