Maurizio Sarri Officially Appointed

dR3

5 hours ago, Stim said:

And people were f**kin sick of it under Conte. And Jose.

"Why can't we take the game to the big teams"

The fickleness is insane, I can't believe how many people are begging for Conte back when all they did was slag him off in his latter season here. 

5 hours ago, shedpensioner said:

People were sick of Conte’s attitude towards the club & his bleating in the media, he also took the tactic to the extreme against City last season.

Yesterday showed a balance between 2 styles, if we played like that in the league we’d be improving.

We haven't defended well enough with Hazard on the left, yesterday really is our best way to play big teams.

Use Willian on the left to wear down the other team some while keeping a better defensive presence, then sub Higuain on for him, and move Hazard left.  Many didn't like Hazard in the false 9... but that also gave more time to CHO.

7 hours ago, DannyVblue said:

City "absolutely bossed the game". Are you having a laugh? They were definitely the better team in the first half, but they barely laid a glove on us in the second half and extra time and we were the team getting into the more dangerous attacking positions. There was a 15 minute spell in the 2nd half where we had 73% possession and were playing some absolutely lovely football.

Sarri got his tactics spot on yesterday. We're at out most vulnerable in the first 30 minutes so playing more reserved at the start was a good idea and what many fans were asking for. If we don't concede early our passing game generally takes over as our opponents (such as City yesterday) can't sustain their intense pressing game for the full 90 minutes. Especially against a team that keeps possession as well as we do now. 

I was really please to see Emerson start and CHO/RLC coming off the bench. All played well. I actually thought we looked great with Hazard, CHO, RLC and Willian all on at the same time. And Kante was an absolute monster yesterday.

Very encouraging signs despite the defeat. Huge game on Wednesday now, we need a big performance and so does Sarri.

agreed. A loss; or any sign of discontent on the field or stands, and its curtains

re. possession - most pointless stat in football. It really is.  Not aiming that at you, just a general thought

Edited by RickUK

I think the ironic thing is that arguably Sarri's two best performances this season were both against the best team in the league - City. First we won, and this one we were unlucky not to. In between there was a 6-0 thrashing, but it only backs my point.

Whether it was Sarri's plan all along or  the team was simply forced to play that way by the opposition, but both times it was great determination and focus that made the difference. The team was willing to stay deep and compact, everybody was closing down the opponents and was working their asses off defensively. And the longer the game went on the better we looked going forward. It's as if we first had to suffer through but eventually turned things around and started to look the more dangerous of the two sides.

The question is, where was that team this whole time and why can't we play with similar approach consistently? I think, it's probably down to the fact that in City we have the team that plays the possession type of football that Sarri wants Chelsea to play, except they clearly have much better personnel and had advantage in polishing their tactics over a longer period of time. Funnily enough, that actually works in our favour, because that's the only time we absolutely have to defend in numbers and rely on counter attacks. One time when Sarri decided to beat City in their own game, it ended up with a hockey scoreline.

I don't know what Sarri has in mind for Spurs but hopefully some of the good things we've learned from those two City encounters will help him prepare the team better. At least, I hope so, for his sake.

Edited by abramovich

7 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I think the ironic thing is that arguably Sarri's two best performances this season were both against the best team in the league - City. First we won, and this one we were unlucky not to. In between there was a 6-0 thrashing, but it only backs my point.

Whether it was Sarri's plan all along or  the team was simply forced to play that way by the opposition, but both times it was great determination and focus that made the difference. The team was willing to stay deep and compact, everybody was closing down the opponents and was working their asses off defensively. And the longer the game went on the better we looked going forward. It's as if we first had to suffer through but eventually turned things around and started to look the more dangerous of the two sides.

The question is, where was that team this whole time and why can't we play with similar approach consistently? I think, it's probably down to the fact that in City we have the team that plays the possession type of football that Sarri wants Chelsea to play, except they clearly have much better personnel and had advantage in polishing their tactics over a longer period of time. Funnily enough, that actually works in our favour, because that's the only time we absolutely have to defend in numbers and rely on counter attacks. One time when Sarri decided to beat City in their own game, it ended up with a hockey scoreline.

I don't know what Sarri has in mind for Spurs but hopefully some of the good things we've learned from those two City encounters will help him prepare the team better. At least, I hope so, for his sake.

We actually did well against the best team in the league, Liverpool. Almost won if not for a super goal by fecking sturridge the twat and beat them in the league cup at pool.

The 6-0 loss vs City was a terrible display of individual errors and a wonder goal, combined with our opponents being ultra clinical that day. Even Pep himself said as much for that game. 

I also think re. yesterday that a lot of it was players playing for themselves.  They want a medal, or a cup win regardless who coach is. 
It wasn't a big masterstroke as i said, it was everyone out for themselves in a way
Am never a fan of Sarri, am a big fan of Conte. But I give Sarri the credit for that performance against City. One thing I have noticed about Sarri is he doesn't know how to hide his emotions. Against City, all of the players were falling back including the front three to help the team defensively which wasn't something we have been doing when playing the usual and predictable Sarriball. It's just my opinion though, but whenever we are not playing the way Sarri wants, you will know simply by observing his reactions or his facial expression on the touchline. But against City he looked calm because he planned it with the players. The fact that he didn't make the usual Barkley for Kovacic sub and bringing CHO on early shows he had a different plan for City. And for me, it was a very good game plan.

14 hours ago, enigma said:

We actually did well against the best team in the league, Liverpool. Almost won if not for a super goal by fecking sturridge the twat and beat them in the league cup at pool.

The 6-0 loss vs City was a terrible display of individual errors and a wonder goal, combined with our opponents being ultra clinical that day. Even Pep himself said as much for that game. 

and getting totally mugged at Bournemouth 4-0 is acceptable because we had 73% possession ?

and getting totally mugged at Bournemouth 4-0 is acceptable because we had 73% possession ?
Losing is never acceptable but again I ask: Did you expect a flawless season while Sarri changes the style of football at THIS club?

Pep had structures in place, more players in place to make his system work, and they lost 4-0 to Everton.

Agreed. But he is of course here to change the style of football. So this is the time you need a director of football and the manager to sit down and discuss the immediate priorities. Instead he has to speak to Marina and we probably know how that goes.

I think I would probably drop Kepa tonight.  Otherwise, if i am a fellow player who is a regular first teamer, and i refused to be subbed off, got the weeks' fine, but then was dropped, I'd think "Well hold on, Kepa didn't, so why am i?"

And again if he does start him, it says to players 'dont worry about acting petulant and refusing to be subbed, i'll still start you the following game'

Has to make a point, play Willy.  Even if it does make us a little less strong in goal. Sarri and the club have proven that it was not a 'misunderstanding', it was a player refusing to be subbed. Even when the manager admitted it was tactical, or had a tactical element to it.  So starting Willy does not fuel the fire or create a back story because the truth is now out there.

I honestly think starting Kepa would be wrong.

“Succeed tonight and Sarri will be granted more time to make Chelsea’s campaign a positive one.

Lose and he is in serious danger of emulating Luiz Felipe Scolari and Andre Villas-Boas in failing to see out one full season under owner Roman Abramovich”.

- Simon Johnson, ES.

Massive game tonight for Sarri. We’ve had a big couple of weeks and so far all we have done is beat Malmo. Thin ground I think. 

Full credit to Sarri. He's had to make some big calls since the Man U FA Cup game and I think he's gotten them dead right. 

1. Adapting! Blink and we've suddenly kept 3 clean sheets in 3 games. If you told me 10 days ago that we would shut out both Man City and Spurs, I would've pissed myself laughing. Sarri adjusted, and we suddenly have our defensive ferocity back. Will be interesting to see what happens tactically against Wolves and Everton. Wolves beat us earlier in the season and we only managed a draw with Everton. But hopefully, the last 2 games mean that something has clicked in Sarri's mind, and we can implement a Plan B when needed. (Or even switch between a Plan A and Plan B mid game depending on the situation)

2. The Kepa situation. Thought Sarri and the club handled the aftermath almost perfectly. He turned lemonade out of lemons, and I think he's come out of this looking stronger than before. 

3. Dropping Alonso. After the City 6-0 and FA Cup defeat, it had to be done. Emerson stepped in with two very good games. And now Alonso has responded with a strong game of his own. Good to see some genuine competition for minutes and should send a message to the squad as well. 

Most importantly for me, is that we are playing with intensity and determination again. This doesn't look like a squad that has given up on their manager. Hope this is really the turning point we've been looking for, and we can go on another strong run to end the year.

The Man U game on April 28th will be absolutely crucial. 

One thing we did well is we really bravely built from the back. We did this probably for 70mins. This is key for us. Kovacic in particular was great in working in small spaces. 

We also defended with aggression. 

Major problem for us is the attacking side of our football. We create next to nothing. Two games in a row and we have managed 3-4 shots in total. That is not enough. I have said this many times but I feel we are dumb and predictable in the attack. 

I don't know how many of these things are to do with the manager. I feel everything Sarri have told us is true. He said he is unable to motivate players. Being brave in building and defending with aggression are motivational aspects. 

It is kinda weird how much we struggle in attack.  Willian can be up and down, but he still has immense ability and he can create chances.  Hazard is one of the best attacking players in the world but he can't do it all on his own.  Higuain, despite his age and recent form, is still a lethal striker on his day.  You throw in Pedro and CHO and we should be creating chances at will. 

From midfield Kante is really the only one that gets forward, and that's not ideal.  If Kovacic could get more involved in an attacking sense and start chipping in with some assists and goals that too would relieve the pressure.  We were always blessed that we had Lampard who could score striker amounts of goals from mid but we don't have anyone like that.  Barkley could be that player but he can be a bit inconsistent as well.  I'm not saying someone from mid needs to score 20+ a season like Lamps, but if you get the likes of Barkley and Kovacic chipping in with 8-10 goals each that can make a hell of a difference.

Edited by Michael

Interesting quotes from Sarri post game:

At the beginning of the match we pressed very high. We recovered 10 balls in the opposition half. Then it was difficult for us because we played 130 minutes three days ago, so the players asked me to press a little bit lower and of course I agreed. We defended very well, like in the match against Man City and in the Europa League against Malmo.

‘In the last three matches we defended really very well. The level of application and attention is higher than before. The level of aggression is different now

Basically the players said they didn't want to press Spurs high up the pitch following the cup final. 

The tactic worked and we arguably had our best defensive performance for the season as a result. 

Will Sarri employ this tactic going forward or once the players are fully rested will he revert back to the high press? 

8 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Interesting quotes from Sarri post game:

Basically the players said they didn't want to press Spurs high up the pitch following the cup final. 

The tactic worked and we arguably had our best defensive performance for the season as a result. 

Will Sarri employ this tactic going forward or once the players are fully rested will he revert back to the high press? 

The players asked him during the match, if they could have a lower block due to fatigue. This was most likely at half-time.

We were very good for the first 25 mins so I don't see why not, but personally I think it should be a 'horses for courses' scenario. We just don't have the midfield to hurt teams consistently.