A new striker in January.

coco

51 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Did you just use a FIFA website to show off a player?

While we’re talking about MLS, I like the look of Acosta.

Did you not know FIFA is the perfect way to scout players? Just look at how good Ahmed Musa is  . . . . 

19 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

And just how many matches would you give Icardi without a goal before pronouncing the next top striker we have to buy?

Honestly, it's like a playground in here sometimes, my new shiny toy is boring me now, I want a new shiny toy, and I'm going to scream and scream until I make myself sick unless I get one.

Pretty sure we just want a striker thats good enough. Or should be pretend to be happy with buying former bench warmers and expect them to become good enough for top clubs all of a sudden?

Our best striker used to warm the bench for Arsenal. If anyone suggested an Arsenal-reserve should be our main striker a couple of years ago they'd be called a WUM.

3 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Did you just use a FIFA website to show off a player?

While we’re talking about MLS, I like the look of Acosta.

Yeah, just a player card for reference. 

I’m an Atlanta United season ticket holder, so I’d be happy to go into more detail if need be. 

19 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Let's not rehash the Zlatan on loan thread (Rumours section) here. BTW the general consensus was hell no.

Ah I stop venturing into the rumours thread when the season is happening so didn't see that. I'll put my arguments in there ;) 

There must a striker somewhere in the world that could help us. 

For me, I am tired of buying short term/low quality strikers. I would rather us go big and put some proper money down. I know that Mortata was meant to be that signing but he hasn’t worked so it’s time to move him on and start afresh. 

16 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

But surely we need a consistent striker, we already have two strikers that are not delivering goals.

He’s capable of being consistent, he’s got a very good scoring record. Could be he’s just a bad fit for United under Mourinho.

Jose wants him to be like Drogba was for us but his game just isn’t that rounded.

16 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

No. He's looked like a donkey more often than usual so far this season. 

True but he’s being asked to play as a target man and bring others into the game which isn’t something he’s good at.

Playing for the more attacking and possession focused Belgium he’s scoring goals.

5 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Purely hypothetical but if we were able to sign Lukaku in the summer would anyone be open to it? 

For a cut-rate price, in lieu of better options.

Belgium aren't directly comparable because they play a different formation and at any rate comparing international and club football is problematic. There are fewer games and the opposition is of very variable quality. 

The primary problem with Lukaku is his sub-par first touch, which is why he can struggle against deep defences. 

12 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Purely hypothetical but if we were able to sign Lukaku in the summer would anyone be open to it? 

I would take him. He hasn't been to great this season, but he is left isolates in that United system, and he has proven that if you give him service, he will score goals. 

His poor touch is greatly exaggerated in my opinion, and under sarri I don't think he would have to get involved much in the build up anyway.

But if United are selling Lukaku to us, that would mean they were bringing in a better striker, so hypothetically speaking, we should be going for the better striker. 

Not sure on Lukaku, like Morata he has not done that well. Don't think he links up well and expects a certain type of service to be effective. 

He is normally clinical though think he might be better at a midtable side rather than a side looking to dominate possession  that requires mobility and fluidity.

44 minutes ago, big blue said:

I would take him. He hasn't been to great this season, but he is left isolates in that United system, and he has proven that if you give him service, he will score goals. 

His poor touch is greatly exaggerated in my opinion, and under sarri I don't think he would have to get involved much in the build up anyway.

But if United are selling Lukaku to us, that would mean they were bringing in a better striker, so hypothetically speaking, we should be going for the better striker. 

Depends on what "better" means. 

I don't think United would sell Lukaku but if they did it's because they're looking to throw money at the team in hopes of transforming their play style were they to sack Jose for example. 

So maybe they go for a big name, Thomas Muller for arguments sake. Is he better? Debatable but that's the sort of signing I could see them making. 

I just don't think there's a whole lot of quality strikers out there at the moment who are readily available.

12 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He’s capable of being consistent, he’s got a very good scoring record. Could be he’s just a bad fit for United under Mourinho.

Jose wants him to be like Drogba was for us but his game just isn’t that rounded.

True but he’s being asked to play as a target man and bring others into the game which isn’t something he’s good at.

Playing for the more attacking and possession focused Belgium he’s scoring goals.

I don't disagree that he is capable of consistency and he has had decent patches of form throughout his career. However, i always get the feeling that he is a player that needs to constantly look at his feet whilst he is playing, which i belive is an indication that he is not a natural finisher. Whilst i am not advocating this as a signing if you look at Vardy for instance, he is a natural goalscorer because he plays wih his head up, he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and can therefore concentrate fully on beating the keeper rather than getting his feet right, getting a clean conection, etc.

We would never do this due to our stature and the need to appease fans but i strongly believe that we could "make" a great striker from out of the ranks, with perhaps a signings ftom a lower prem or champ team that is a natural finisher and can complement our attacking midfielders. As an example i think Callum Wilson (hardly an unknown from the massed ranks but hey-ho) would be a better fit for us than a Lukaku, Lewandoski, etc. Will Grigg is on fire, by the way! :biggrin:

On 25/10/2018 at 22:11, ForeverCarefree said:

If I was going to take one striker from United it would be Rashford. Bags of pace, technically better than Lukaku, can play wide or central, and developing as a talent nicely. Gonna be some player in a couple of years and already better than what we have.

Never noticed the Costa record, is he having a fight with the manager again? Sign him back, Sarri will set him straight.

Lukaku is turning into Bentake, he's a much better player than that, think he's just fed up with the style of playing.

Edited by icecoolguy22