Super Frank Lampard

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sack or Back ???  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

This poll is closed to new votes

I don’t see Roman sacking Frank - not unless we were in an Arsenal/AVB situation. We can still easily make top 4 if our form picks up. 

There are rumours that the club are looking at Tuchel but I doubt he ticks many boxes. Probably just agents stirring. 

Frank is obviously trying to build something here at CFC.

The big money signings have not jelled as yet.

We need to be careful and more patient. Yes we have a track record in winning things but we also have a reputation for short termism.

De Bruyne and Mo Salah are examples of our impatience.

Frank overachieved last season. Most people had us lucky to finish in the top 10. We lost out to third spot on goal difference. He deserves a lot of praise for last season.

This year we spent money and the expectation has increased. It is obvious to anyone with a football brain that these new players will be looking at season 2021-2022 to really bring this team to a higher level.

It would be great if for once we could build a dynasty of some sort. In order to achieve this we will need to be patient. Yes, it’s a gamble, and Frank is still learning and on the whole we have played some exciting football under him.

There will be some further tough times ahead but there will also be some beautiful times. Frank deserves to complete his contract. Liverpool and City had to be patient with their current managers and we need to be patient with Frank.

It’s easy to sing when you are winning and in any case it’s not  like we are a bunch of plastic, glory hunting supporters are we. 

42 minutes ago, JM7 said:

I don’t see Roman sacking Frank - not unless we were in an Arsenal/AVB situation. We can still easily make top 4 if our form picks up. 

There are rumours that the club are looking at Tuchel but I doubt he ticks many boxes. Probably just agents stirring. 

It was reported back in 2018 that Tuchel was our first choice but rejected us for PSG and we went for Sarri instead. Credible german-journalists like Honigstein and others said he impressed Marina in a meeting they had as well.

So that's why i get slightly worried for Lampards future if he doesn't turn it around asap. I obviously don't want it to happen as i want Lampard but you can never know that the club is actually thinking.

I think it would be between him and Nagelsmann if the worst was to happen. Another thing to keep in mind in my view is that i believe that club would go pretty far to try and get Werner & Havertz going if Lampard can't. After Kepa the club obviously don't want another record signing that turns into an embarrassement.

Edited by Sindre

10 hours ago, Amputechture said:

Despite all the doom and gloom around here of late, we're currently just 7 points off the top. It's just been such a bizarre season so far. It's not just us.

I'm convinced patience no longer exists in football, not even in the slightest.

And I can't for the life of me understand why it's considered understandable when proven managers like Klopp or Pep take a couple of years to build a consistent side capable of winning trophies, whereas inexperienced managers like Frank are expected to deliver instantly in order to prove themselves? Where's the logic in that? If the top, experienced managers require time and a ton of investment to deliver consistent results, what makes anyone think Frank could or should do it sooner?

I'm in no way saying that Frank doesn't deserve to be criticized here. He's made mistakes and has been too stubborn at times with his selections in my opinion. It's just sad to see just how quickly people are willing to turn on him. Maybe he isn't fit to manage a club of this stature so soon in his career, though how will we ever find out if people scream for him to be sacked every time things don't go our way? Give him and the team some time. Last season was by all means a success all things considered. Let's wait and see how things pan out this time around. There's still plenty of games to play in a hugely bizzare and unpredictable season.

This. 

I'm hugely disappointed by our loss to Arsenal, because I hate losing to that lot, and our other recent results and style of play haven't made me particularly happy either. But I think some supportershave been kidding themselves and more or less counted on improving on last season's result because of the very good run we've had earlier. We're 8th in the table, and that sounds more dramatic than it seems: there are 2 points seperating us from 4th spot, or 3 if you assume Manu will win their game in hand. There are still 23 matches to play. Weren't Manu down in 10th spot or so just a few weeks ago? The top teams are so closely bunched together, it's hardly surprising clubs bounce up and down in the rankings.

We do need to get our act together, but that act was always going to be difficult with so many new players coming in, some of them moving abroad for the first time, at a young age, in scary times, not used to playing so many matches when in the past they have had a few weeks off. 

Let's not throw about terms as 'unacceptable' and 'clueless'. We have no god given right to win every match, and I'm willing to bet that we combined are more clueless than Lampard on his own. However, I do think our coaching staff would benefit from bringing in an experienced hand who is not part of the buddy-buddy group we have now. I obviously don't know how the assistents interact with Lampard, but a devil's advocate is always useful to get away from certain established thought patterns.

Let's have some patience, with Lampard and with our players. So we haven't been non-stop in the top 4 since the start of the season, so what? Time for my favourite football quote: dees ees futball (G. Vialli).

11 hours ago, Amputechture said:

Despite all the doom and gloom around here of late, we're currently just 7 points off the top. It's just been such a bizarre season so far. It's not just us.

I'm convinced patience no longer exists in football, not even in the slightest.

And I can't for the life of me understand why it's considered understandable when proven managers like Klopp or Pep take a couple of years to build a consistent side capable of winning trophies, whereas inexperienced managers like Frank are expected to deliver instantly in order to prove themselves? Where's the logic in that? If the top, experienced managers require time and a ton of investment to deliver consistent results, what makes anyone think Frank could or should do it sooner?

I'm in no way saying that Frank doesn't deserve to be criticized here. He's made mistakes and has been too stubborn at times with his selections in my opinion. It's just sad to see just how quickly people are willing to turn on him. Maybe he isn't fit to manage a club of this stature so soon in his career, though how will we ever find out if people scream for him to be sacked every time things don't go our way? Give him and the team some time. Last season was by all means a success all things considered. Let's wait and see how things pan out this time around. There's still plenty of games to play in a hugely bizzare and unpredictable season.

3 hours ago, Jezz said:

First 78 games as coach

• Klopp (Liverpool) = 40 wins, 23 draws, 15 losses (143 points)
  • Guardiola (Man City) = 53 wins, 15 draws, 10 losses (174 points)
  • Solskjaer (Man Utd) = 41 wins, 18 draws, 19 losses (141 points)
  • Lampard (Chelsea) = 41 wins, 16 draws, 21 losses (139 points)

Lampard's coaching record at this stage is comparable to Klopp and Solskjaer at the same stage.

Klopp had reached the Europa League Final (2016), but had no trophies to his name at this stage.

Guardiola went trophyless in his first season, and hadn't won anything at this stage either, though his success in domestic competitions was soon approaching with a very strong squad and successful second season.

Solskjaer hasn't won anything, let alone made a final in any cup competition at this stage.

Lampard hasn't won anything, but made an FA Cup Final which we lost.

At around 80-85 games into his tenure (January 2017), Klopp was beginning to get criticized for a poor run of form as the article below demonstrates, so it's evident that things can turn around in certain circumstances.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38784286

2 excellent posts that highlight the situation perfectly, especially the bit about patience.  Frank has coached 1 and a 1/3 seasons in the hardest of years, results are all 9ver the place with all the teams yet he is being hammered by certain "fans" who are totally ignoring context. Frank is deserving of criticism as he makes mistakes, but those who are wanting him sacked are ridiculous,  what do they think will happen, someone will come in (no doubt they want the latest shiny hipster german coach) and totally change using a title winning side when klopp and guardiola are struggling in this crazy season?

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Urgh, the thought of a different manager makes me feel sick.

Another Sarri type appointment would end my interest in football again.

Very briefly fell out of love with Football during that season. Our win against Leeds a few weeks back was probably the best I've felt in years. Not going to forget that. 

45 minutes ago, Brutos said:

People talking about context here is context we got slapped by Arsenal B team in one of their worst form in decades by a rookie manager  that’s context. And please stop comparing Lampard to proven winner’s who built winning teams. 

What exactly do you want to say by this? Nobody here is cheering the Arsenal result, or even downplaying it. What do you suggest the board to do, sack a manager again for not delivering instant success, pay off Lampard and his staff (again millions down the drain) and move on to next sucker who'll only accept the job because he knows he'll get a handsome pay-off in the near future too? A manager who will shout "rebuilding" and spends millions again on new players because we can't possibly expect success with the bunch he's inherited? A new manager with new players who will all need time to blend together, but won't get time because it's not bringing us instant succes again, so you can write some impatient 'not good enough' posts again?

Note the agains, there is a theme here. My reply to all those questions would be No thanks, I'll be patient.

Edited by Valerie

We’ve had a 17 game unbeaten streak despite Havertz and Werner not doing that well, Ziyech and Pulisic injured for the majority of the run. Werner played on wing.

Now imagine what we’d be like when Werner and Havertz start to hit form? Plus Ziyech playing more regularly? Pulisic being fit? Which probably will happen at some point.

Patience.

15 minutes ago, Valerie said:

What exactly do you want to say by this? Nobody here is cheering the Arsenal result, or even downplaying it. What do you suggest the board to do, sack a manager again for not delivering instant success, pay off Lampard and his staff (again millions down the drain) and move on to next sucker who'll only accept the job because he knows he'll get a handsome pay-off in the near future too? A manager who will shout "rebuilding" and spends millions again on new players because we can't possibly expect success with the bunch he's inherited? A new manager with new players who will all need time to blend together, but won't get time because it's not bringing us instant succes again, so you can write some impatient 'not good enough' posts again?

Note the agains, there is a theme here. My reply to all those questions would be No thanks, I'll be patient.

Show me one post where I said sack Lampard or not let him get three years . I want him to finish his three years so there is no question he didn’t get the time to “build his project “ however based on what I have seen so far those three years will not be lined with sliver or gold and will be very difficult to build anything when the team does respond to you based on this post Arsenal comments.

Also the excuses of if he was playing if he was fit if this happened that happened blah blah.. a managers job is to make the most of what have you get injuries deal with it Everton had injuries Arsenal had half the bloody team missing the constant excuses to justify sh*t performances because it’s Lampard is staggering. 

Edited by Brutos

44 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Show me one post where I said sack Lampard or not let him get three years . I want him to finish his three years so there is no question he didn’t get the time to “build his project “ however based on what I have seen so far those three years will not be lined with sliver or gold and will be very difficult to build anything when the team does respond to you based on this post Arsenal comments.

Also the excuses of if he was playing if he was fit if this happened that happened blah blah.. a managers job is to make the most of what have you get injuries deal with it Everton had injuries Arsenal had half the bloody team missing the constant excuses to justify sh*t performances because it’s Lampard is staggering. 

I was asking you what you wanted to say with your rather vague post about context. As you can see, I was asking plenty of questions, asking not only you, but also the bunch that do want to have Lampard sacked. 

I personally do not care how other teams do or do not cope with injuries or out of form players. All I'm advocating is patience with Chelsea players to get their form back and/or to get adjusted to a new league in a new country, and with a relatively new manager. The alternative of dismissal isn't the answer, as we have seen time and again. And whining isn't an attractive other alternative either, however some seem to love it.

58 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

We’ve had a 17 game unbeaten streak despite Havertz and Werner not doing that well, Ziyech and Pulisic injured for the majority of the run. Werner played on wing.

Now imagine what we’d be like when Werner and Havertz start to hit form? Plus Ziyech playing more regularly? Pulisic being fit? Which probably will happen at some point.

Patience.

It just seems to be a bunch of false dawns. We go from one extreme to the next too often. Every season of late we seem to go on a really good run of form that you see from title winning teams, then we suddenly start churning out results that you would expect from teams fighting to avoid relegation. 

I didn't expect us to win the title this season, but I expected to start seeing us make some progress towards competing with the best again, but once again, we are looking like the same team that we have seen from the past 5 out of 6 seasons.

The length of his contract is irrelevant, most of the time in this business managers get sacked before they get a chance at running down their contract. Suggestions to let Lamps stay and work until summer of 2022 regardless of what happens on the pitch, I'm afraid, are totally unrealistic. At this level you're being assessed, judged and analyzed after every game. Chelsea is a huge club backed by massive investment and has a very ambitious owner, and with that ambition comes expectation. You don't deliver, you're history. Frank obviously has some credit with the hierarchy due to his status within the organization and doing well in his first season under difficult circumstances, but that credit will only protect you to a degree.

I believe at this difficult moment he needs to demonstrate ability to turn things around before it becomes too serious, kind of like Conte did in his first year after, ironically, being soundly beaten by Arsenal. I don't know if Lamps has it him, but I genuinely hope he does because if the struggles continue, the situation may spin out of control and by the time they finally give him the sack, it'll be just as much a kindness to him, as it is for the team. Perseverance is a great quality and is important in any rebuilding process, but you have to trust the direction you're heading and it's not easy when both the performances and results are poor. When you play relatively well but don't get the results, you can cite bad luck and ask for patience. When you don't play well but still manage to get results, even better. Bit when you get neither, you've got nowhere to hide. He needs to fix this, and the sooner the better.

Without sounding too dramatic.

What the hell has happened?

We don't look like the same team. We aren't pressing well anymore, there seems to be no plan offensively other than getting it wide and cross it 600 times a game, and the midfield is getting dominated on a weekly basis.

Absolutely worst possible timing to lose our entire identity and guts because right now we look like we are about to sink.

We win this game if only Christensen doesn't play, we gifted them a point. I don't think I will change this opinion, Villa didn't deserve anything this game, just a cheeky sucker punch due to us having Christensen there... How many times does he have to be the weak link before he's exposed enough?

7 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We win this game if only Christensen doesn't play, we gifted them a point. I don't think I will change this opinion, Villa didn't deserve anything this game, just a cheeky sucker punch due to us having Christensen there... How many times does he have to be the weak link before he's exposed enough?

They had as many good chances as us and came close to scoring again. 3 points would have been great today and much needed but this Villa side are no mugs and earned their draw.