Kai Havertz

On 11/08/2020 at 15:19, Spiller86 said:

I think the Ballack comparison isn't there btw. Havertz has much fewer strings to his bow. He is largely a forward. Ballack was pretty much a complete midfielder. 

He became as much, very much under Magath's tutelage at Bayern. At Leverkusen, he was definitely an out-and-out attacking midfielder. For me his versatility showed that he had mastered the art of being a midfielder. I always felt it was Essien who was compromised most, playing the holding-midfield role until that time when we unleashed him at RB.

Interestingly, Ballack's recent commentary likened Havertz to Lampard, rather than himself! I actually think that is more accurate. De Bruyne's success at City shows the value of such a midfielder in the modern EPL and I think that Havertz is our second shot at that particular cherry.

4 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

He became as much, very much under Magath's tutelage at Bayern. At Leverkusen, he was definitely an out-and-out attacking midfielder. For me his versatility showed that he had mastered the art of being a midfielder. I always felt it was Essien who was compromised most, playing the holding-midfield role until that time when we unleashed him at RB.

Interestingly, Ballack's recent commentary likened Havertz to Lampard, rather than himself! I actually think that is more accurate. De Bruyne's success at City shows the value of such a midfielder in the modern EPL and I think that Havertz is our second shot at that particular cherry.

Yes, for a few games we saw Lampard try to emulate the Silva and KDB with an anchor midfield and it worked quite well. Doing that with Havertz instead of Barkley next season could be interesting. I think Ziyech could potentially do that as well. 

As for Ballack, I don't recall him much at Leverkusen, by the time we got him, he was at his peak. Havertz for me is a different sort of player. Its a bit of a lazy comparison. Perhaps the only things they have in common are being tall German and having that languid style (which you wait will be taken as not trying here same as it was for Ballack).

2 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

The press are saying that Utd are looking to get involved and considering  making a bid . Let’s hope that’s just an attempt to shoehorn Dortmund into selling them sancho 

Can't see that working for Utd when they have Fernandes playing that role as such.

Havertz is a very formidable winger albeit maybe not a natural one. If they have given up on Sancho they are looking other options... I still feeling we are the place for Havertz and he wants to join us. We'll just have to wait I guess.

27 minutes ago, evissy said:

Havertz is a very formidable winger albeit maybe not a natural one. If they have given up on Sancho they are looking other options... I still feeling we are the place for Havertz and he wants to join us. We'll just have to wait I guess.

As long as club not pissing about saving the odd 5 mill here and the odd 5 mill there, we've wasted enough money on bullsh*t players like Kepa, Jorginho, Bakajoko, Drinkwater etc etc, so no good trying to save some now. Got a nasty feeling utd are gonna gazump us on this one 

We all know that if United are serious about "stealing" him they will do it. Only the rumor of their intervention should be enough for Marina to give the 100th millions immediately. Maybe she is afraid that now that we are about to sell 70+ millions flop of a keeper for probably less than 15 in return, that will hurt her image.  Well, it won't. She's always been around the 50% with her transfer buyings, nobody is going to criticize her as long as she nails one out of two transfers. We are Chelsea and we can afford occasionally flops like Kepa and Morata as long as we counter them with the good ones. Marina is too great and the fact that she is trying to be cheap and careful annoys me big time. This fool Ed, Edd or Eddie  in United has Ibrahimovic confidence and his transfer accuracy is measured with digits. 

Edited by Droopy

This guy would be our KDB/Fernandes style player who would really lift our performances. I hope to God we actually sign him, can you imagine the creativity from him, Ziyech, Pulisic, Mount etc.

Wow!

Edited by Malcolm9

41 minutes ago, Droopy said:

We all know that if United are serious about "stealing" him they will do it. Only the rumor of their intervention should be enough for Marina to give the 100th millions immediately. Maybe she is afraid that now that we are about to sell 70+ millions flop of a keeper for probably less than 15 in return, that will hurt her image.  Well, it won't. She's always been around the 50% with her transfer buyings, nobody is going to criticize her as long as she nails one out of two transfers. We are Chelsea and we can afford occasionally flops like Kepa and Morata as long as we counter them with the good ones. Marina is too great and the fact that she is trying to be cheap and careful annoys me big time. This fool Ed, Edd or Eddie  in United has Ibrahimovic confidence and his transfer accuracy is measured with digits. 

You dont half talk some amount of arse gravy, theres some whoppers on here lately but you beat them all. Why would he definitely go to Utd over us? 

5 minutes ago, evissy said:
12 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:
What, by flopping over in the penalty area at the slightest puff of wind to win us innumerable unjustified penalties?

I would like that. 25 penalties a season is an good achievement.

I think I would feel dirty, but each to their own.

I cant believe watching utd, there just happy by winning dodgy pens, the Scummy f**kers.
After watching some of their football against Kopenhagen I am not convinced they are a top 4 material. They have great material but not really a system that looks like it is going to be something to build on. Fernandes really transformed them with his quality and being a surprise factor so to say. When teams start to read him they'll will struggle. He will not be getting all the penalties he had and rate their attackers scored with will even out.

Anyway would love us to win more penalties.