Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

4 hours ago, Gol15 said:

You're expecting Florentino Perez to save football then? The man is absolutely deluded, don't act as if what he's doing is the right answer either.

I have never said I expect Perez to I save football - they are all a bunch of muppets. 

9 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

I think it's a sensible response by UEFA. Much better to say "unless you do x by xxxday..." than simply retaliate for ultlimate destruction.

That's one of the fundamental wrongdoings of the ESL 12. If they had really worried about the flaws of UEFA or the CL system they could have said in seriousness "look guys if these things don't change we'll have to come up with an alternative." One could have agreed or disagreed. But these clubs knew where they wanted to go so they didn't bother to waste time on any of that

I'd argue that was always on the table - can't remember at what point in my life I heard first about these SuperLeague plans but that's been decades ago I'd say. The UEFA did their "best" to come as close as an open shop could come to a closed one but (imho) Corona sped things up to a point of almost no return. Now they can talk about those 5 additional clubs and whether they probably get their place by winning the CL/EL and whatother little compromise is left. 

The domestic leagues I'd argue will stay next to the renegade clubs when forced to decide - but that's just my opinion.

Edited by weetee

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

Not gonna lie, and an unpopular decision, but I actually think the PL would be more excting without the top six. Finance wise, not so much, but it could give far more teams something to play for without the top clubs hogging all the best players. 

They would still hog the best players though. It would become closer to the championship than what the prem is like now. The "big 6" bring in 70% of the revenue currently. That is a massive loss. 

If according to Perez they have signed a binding contract, that he says would cost tremendously to break, seems the clubs didn’t walk in under some sort of dazed spell, they would be well aware of the ramifications, only issue is if they can bribe FIFA into accepting their proposals...

According to Spanish media depts of the clubs : Barcelona - 1 1730 billion euros; Real Madrid - 901 million euros; Atletico Madrid - 494.2 million euros; Inter - 630.1 million euros; Juventus - 458.3 million euros; Milan 151.8 million euros; Chelsea - 1 510 billion euros ;Tottenham - 1 280 billion euros ; Manchester United - 528.6 million eurosLiverpool - 272 million euros; Manchester City - 200 million eurosArsenal - 125.4 million euros

Wickham is highly knowledgeable about UK politics. He isn't a sports journo either. The fact he is tweeting this  is massive. Not a mouthpiece for any club like Simon Stone is for Ed Woodward. I'll take his word for it but ofc I'm waiting for a concrete statement from the club itself.

Edited by Valhalla

27 minutes ago, enigma said:

Not gonna lie, and an unpopular decision, but I actually think the PL would be more excting without the top six. Finance wise, not so much, but it could give far more teams something to play for without the top clubs hogging all the best players. 

There would just be a new top 6 eventually. 

16 minutes ago, Tokata said:

According to Spanish media depts of the clubs : Barcelona - 1 1730 billion euros; Real Madrid - 901 million euros; Atletico Madrid - 494.2 million euros; Inter - 630.1 million euros; Juventus - 458.3 million euros; Milan 151.8 million euros; Chelsea - 1 510 billion euros ;Tottenham - 1 280 billion euros ; Manchester United - 528.6 million eurosLiverpool - 272 million euros; Manchester City - 200 million eurosArsenal - 125.4 million euros

One thousand fivehundred and ten billion euros? We owe some money to Roman then..who owns the club.

35 minutes ago, enigma said:

Thing is currently leicester are 3rd and west ham 4th. The big 6 don't hog all the best players as much as people think. I think the league currently is more exciting than it has ever been in the PL era and it's getting better. 

Ive been thinking about it alot today and it looks like it's going to go through regardless, I say let's just make the best of it.

I think the idea of the ESL is just an extra division to European club football, like the CL is to the EL. I think the CL should stay untouched. The 5 extra slots should go to the 2 finalists of The CL and the winners of the domestic cups in Italy, spain and england. The 2 finalists of the EL go up to the CL and to qualify for the EL and CL just keep it the same as it already is but instead of the top 4 we use the top 4 that isnt in the ESL. I actually think it is more inclusive this way as teams that wouldn't normally qualify for europe will get the chance. There is going to be an extra 15 spaces open up to the teams that don't quite make it normally, the likes of wolves a couple of seasons ago. It really is no different to the PL or la liga. In terms of the big teams aren't going to get relegated but we do see a couple of different teams come up and play against is each year. if this is the format I can get behind it but I think it should be a EUFA sanctioned competition that way we wouldn't of had to leave the ECA

I dont understand  how the 15 teams got picked. It can't be totally on merit as spurs wouldn't be in it. It's got to be about the fan base maybe?

I still dont agree with the way it's been executed and the arragonce of the execs. Some of the rumoured comments behind closed doors have been absolutely disgusting.

Thinking logically and not just with the fear of change. There is some benefits and if they can be shown to FIFA, EUFA and the domestic governing bodies why not give it a try. Just maybe next time dont go in guns blazing and maybe exclude spurs.

Edited by Malta Blue

9 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Thing is currently leicester are 3rd and west ham 4th. The big 6 don't hog all the best players as much as people think. I think the league currently is more exciting than it has ever been in the PL era and it's getting better. 

I agree. The competitive nature of it is what's led these 6 clubs to go rogue, which is what makes it even more sickening. Complete cowardice. Look at what Leicester have done over the last 5 years. The so called "big 6" have joined forced in a hilariously named "Super League" of pure evil. It's f**king embarrassing for all involved. 

Edited by Hessleboink

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Until the ripples stop and the new status quo is stabilised.

#Chelsea and the other ESL clubs face being sued for billions of pounds if they pull out of the competition. A source at one of the so-called ‘Big Six’ Premier League sides to sign up to it has confirmed they have penned a 'binding agreement' to that effect.

[via @ben_rumsby]

Again, I thought this was politics but it seems it is a contract - if true. 

49 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Wickham is highly knowledgeable about UK politics. He isn't a sports journo either. The fact he is tweeting this  is massive. Not a mouthpiece for any club like Simon Stone is for Ed Woodward. I'll take his word for it but ofc I'm waiting for a concrete statement from the club itself.

If true I reckon it is City, they have the most to lose this season.

15 minutes ago, Jezz said:

Stop considering and act, the damage gets worse by the hour.

2 minutes ago, JM7 said:

#Chelsea and the other ESL clubs face being sued for billions of pounds if they pull out of the competition. A source at one of the so-called ‘Big Six’ Premier League sides to sign up to it has confirmed they have penned a 'binding agreement' to that effect.

[via @ben_rumsby]

Again, I thought this was politics but it seems it is a contract - if true. 

If true we royally screwed ourselves and the team.

It is laughable that some on here only seem worried about whether or not we will be kicked out of this season Champions League. I don't know whether or not that will happen but that is really a small part of the issue at this point. If we were really worried about that we should have waited to announce are intentions for next season until this season had wrapped up.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Absolutely not but the awful reality is it's just further expanding on already unfair systems in the game.

Another example would be the CL, us and City are in the semi but from a moral point of view did we deserve a place any more than the top flight Champions in ANY top flight league in Europe? Why did we get the automatic group stage spot over the Champions of Finland? Money and greed.

This to me highlights that it is not all about UEFA greed, but that their own lust for cash is more than matched by the big clubs of the big leagues. If UEFA had insisted on keeping the old European Cup format, the big clubs would have revolted long ago. UEFA have long had to keep the big clubs happy.