Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Do you think that Torres would have scored a hatrick against United?

Eto'o (like him or not) is the best striker we have without a shadow of a doubt. Torres wouldnt have offered anything better last night.

Have to agree with ForeverCarefree. That hat-trick against Utd masks what has otherwise been pretty poor spell for Eto'o. Don't want to take anything away from him as a hat-trick is a hat-trick but that was a poor Utd side and you won't see a scrappier hat-trick with every goal having an element of luck about it. BUT he was there to score the goals - all 3 of them, so credit to him for that match.

But overall, Torres has looked the better striker this season.

Yes I'm serious, apart from the United game tell me one game when you watched Eto'o and thought to yourself, "Corr he's bloody good he is".

He's been rubbish for the most part since he came here.

I think nearly every game he has played (except when he first turned up unfit) he has been a massive improvement on the other two strikers we have.

I really am surprised at Eto'o getting stick for last nights display, he linked up well and moved into what space there was well, was the only player on a few occasions that was nearly on the end of a dangerous cross although running through a wall of eight defenders to get there made it difficult.

His turn and shot from Oscars shot that went straight at him was superb and he was certainly no passenger.

Agreed he didn't have as many shots as the midfielders but that's because he was getting into the box to try to pick up scraps and not racking up attempts from outside the area that just clattered against the multitude of legs in the box or went over the bar.

For me Eto'o links up best with the attacking mids and moves into space better than Torres, he dribbles better and loses the ball less, Torres on a good day can look stronger and gives something different but I always get the feeling with Torres that if his first couple of touches are bad he drifts out of the game but with Eto'o its never a confidence thing, he could hit the corner flag with a penalty and he'd step up for the next one if he could, you get the same effort from him all game.

Edited by Chippy

Do you think that Torres would have scored a hatrick against United?

Eto'o (like him or not) is the best striker we have without a shadow of a doubt. Torres wouldnt have offered anything better last night.

Spot on Uno. Fortunately for us Jose sees it as exactly as we do, (and Davey Babey).

Whatever failings he may have Eto'o is Mourinho's number one, go to, big game, first choice striker. And until we buy in a new strikers / strikers, or Eto'o gets injured, that isn't going to change.

Torres gone in the summer I have never been more sure of it.

I think nearly every game he has played (except when he first turned up unfit) he has been a massive improvement on the other two strikers we have.

Being an improvement on our striking options is a backhanded complement.

Ignoring what Ba and Torres have or haven't done when they played this season and looking at just Eto'o's performances I don't think anyone can say he is contributing enough for our team that has title ambitions.  

none of our strikers are good enough and we only have ourselves to blame...we got played by rooney last summer and should have spent our time looking elsewhere...it is going to cost us the title

To be perfectly honest I have always believed that City will win the title this season. Even with the return of Jose its clear that the team is in transition and a new approach is needed. A solid finish and a complete rethink in the Summer and we will be fine.

With regards to Torres, I always maintained that starting him in his first game for us against Liverpool was a massive mistake, and one that seemed to set the pattern for his whole time with us, the 50 million anvil round his neck, the press delighting in his lack of form, the glee of the bitter Scousers etc.

I think he was a brilliant player in his time and has shown flashes of his old self, but the sad truth is he was pretty much a busted flush when we got him. His form had dipped for Liverpool but we still went ahead and got him anyway.

A classic vanity buy that didn't work out, but his price tag has always made Managers unsure of dropping him (imo) Hopefully the board have learned from this.

Spot on there. It has been said before, IF Torres cost 10 million he wouldnt be at the club anymore. BUT because of his price tag and the stupidly high wages he is on, it makes him pretty much impossible to move on. I honestly believe he will be with us until his contract runs out in two years time.

Spot on there. It has been said before, IF Torres cost 10 million he wouldnt be at the club anymore. BUT because of his price tag and the stupidly high wages he is on, it makes him pretty much impossible to move on. I honestly believe he will be with us until his contract runs out in two years time.

Can't dispute anything you have said there Uno but I think if he does decide to hold out till the end of his contract Mourinho will simply use him as he has used Ba this season. Third choice, hardly any starts, coming on in the 86th minute etc

I don't think Torres ego will tolerate that kind of treatment.

The problem is not so much Torres right now, we all know what he is and what he does or doesn't offer.

The problem is lack of a viable alternative. I'm not really on it any more with world strikers but I actually don't have a clue who is availible.

I wanted Aguero... a long time ago... there is more chance of me building a time machine and brining us back a prime maradona.

I wanted Cavani.... its not out the question but he's going to cost in excess of 60 million

I really wanted Neymar - thought we might get him at one point... see the Aguero comment and and Puskas

Falcou has now busted his cruciet and we would be wise to give him a wide birth unless the price reflects the risk

Costa for all ive seen looks like he would struggle in our team, I could be wrong but as some one else mentioned he seems to be playing against high lines most of the time and getting in behind. We need some one who can do somthing with little to no space in behind.

So wile its all well and good pointing out we dont have enough up top what else is there?

The problem is not so much Torres right now, we all know what he is and what he does or doesn't offer.

The problem is lack of a viable alternative. I'm not really on it any more with world strikers but I actually don't have a clue who is availible.

I wanted Aguero... a long time ago... there is more chance of me building a time machine and brining us back a prime maradona.

I wanted Cavani.... its not out the question but he's going to cost in excess of 60 million

I really wanted Neymar - thought we might get him at one point... see the Aguero comment and and Puskas

Falcou has now busted his cruciet and we would be wise to give him a wide birth unless the price reflects the risk

Costa for all ive seen looks like he would struggle in our team, I could be wrong but as some one else mentioned he seems to be playing against high lines most of the time and getting in behind. We need some one who can do somthing with little to no space in behind.

So wile its all well and good pointing out we dont have enough up top what else is there?

I don't think it has to be one of the biggest names going, we bought in Drogba when he was still a relatively unknown quantity.

You've got players like Giuseppe Rossi doing quite well at Fiorentina for example. Mandzukic might be looking to leave Munich now they've signed Lewandowski, 

I think there are options out there, Man City bought in Negredo who I don't think many expected to play as well as he has done so you don't always have to just look at the £50m+ players. 

the strategy need to change at the bridge in that do we really need to bring in a top forward that is doing well or in his prime (for another team) for silly money or do what the likes of dortmund and some are doing and putting faith in youth and potential filled players and allowing them time to flourish. as some have pointed out  we did indeed get drogba when he was still a relative unknown and that should act as a template that we can do it.

Interesting bit of inside info about how Nando left Liverpool, from the Big Boys Club:

Former Liverpool director of football strategy Damien Comolli was on BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek this morning and gave a great insight into the transfer process on deadline day.

He talked about his involvement in the transfers to Liverpool of Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, as well as the sudden departure of Fernando Torres. The Spaniard apparently went up to him and said: "I'm off. You'll receive an offer from Chelsea tomorrow."

Listen to the interview here

none of our strikers are good enough and we only have ourselves to blame...we got played by rooney last summer and should have spent our time looking elsewhere...it is going to cost us the title

I completely agree with this. We really should have realised earlier on than we did that United were never going to sell to us and just looked elsewhere cos our lack of a potent strike force is what's keeping us lagging behind City. I firmly believe that had we bought a top striker last summer we would be top of the league right now by a small distance.

eurocopa200814.jpg   Fernando Torres: “Win, win and win!”

From El Mundo.

When you’re a kid and you begin to play football, you’re full of hopes and dreams that you believe you’ll achieve because you think you can.  From the age of 10, I’ve seen teammates, some who were better than me, get left behind.  And this is nothing more than a learning process that speeds up when you become a professional at the age of 17 and you begin to see that the football you knew has nothing to do with professional football.

That’s when Luis appeared in my life.  He’s my football professor, the one who put a stop to my ambitions until I was prepared, the one who gave me advice and who explained to me which teammates were the ones who genuinely liked me and which were the ones who had ulterior motives, as well as how the media functioned at this level.  He reinforced the values that I had learned during my entire life, those of the football from before.  As he told me almost daily, “Niño!  You don’t know anything about anything.”  With the passing of time, I realized that he did this because he was fond of me.  To be frank, I never saw him like this with any other player.  He was preparing me so that I could get to where I wanted to be, and he was doing so with affection he always had for me.  He believed in me.

eurocopa200806.jpg

During our second period together, he did with the national team what he did with me previously.  He took our heads out of the clouds and he told us, “get rid of those egos, you’re not better than anyone until you’re a team.”  This process was full of rough patches, of enemies on the road that we left behind because we were convinced that we needed to get by them to achieve our goal.  And by the time we finally understood it, his speech about how we could be the champions of Europe was no longer just a motivating speech, but rather a real objective.  He made us believe that in football is the first step towards the most difficult dreams.  And this was when we were at our lowest point, when the results weren’t what we wanted and the doubts from the outside were bigger than ever.  But we lived in a bubble that Luis created especially for us and only for us.  This strategy had a happy ending and he will be known as the man who changed Spanish football, the one that made us dream, believe, fight and win.  Before each game, we would shout, “Win, win and win!”

He’s no longer with us now, but those of us who knew him have already won.  Those of us who learned from him will win again, and those of us reading about his passing will thank him because we will win again, and probably always win.  You will never be gone, because you left us an indelible legacy.

Thank you, viejo.  Rest in peace.

con la roja

Edited by Charles Ryder
  • 2 weeks later...

just fed up of seeing him working hard to get the ball, but doing absolutely nothing with it. It's times like this when you miss Drogba. I can't actually wait to see drogba face us - at least we'll get to see a proper striker at the bridge again. 

You can't wait! It scares the sh*t out of me.