Mike 93

Willian

Willian has been like a new signing this season! Absolutely brilliant form - fair play! I was at the Leicester game where he had that horrific cameo and I thought that was the end of his Chelsea career. He’s turned it round spectacularly! So good today! 

Corners are still terrible though haha!

Lampard said it best during his post-match interview. He is by no means a natural winger and stats will never tell you just how much he brings to this team.

Experts, however, seem to think otherwise.

These so called experts can f**k right off as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Amputechture

8 hours ago, DannyVblue said:

Willian has been like a new signing this season!

I posted this on Twitter during the game. 

I saw it again towards the end of the game. Willian was making a run, and there was a disappointing ball played, he started to throw his hands up and caught himself , and instead he applauded the effort. 

His attitude and effort, the two things I am most critical of, have been a breath of fresh air. He'd be in my XI for every big game right now.

BTW, you know who is the one throwing his hands up all game now? .... Mason Mount. Hopefully he grows out of that. 

There's no denying his flaws as a player from previous seasons, but he really seems to have taken a proper leadership role at the club this season. It's like he sees getting this young side to perform as a mission for himself to take on. He's been brilliant so far.

On 09/11/2019 at 22:37, Skinnedy said:

I posted this on Twitter during the game. 

I saw it again towards the end of the game. Willian was making a run, and there was a disappointing ball played, he started to throw his hands up and caught himself , and instead he applauded the effort. 

His attitude and effort, the two things I am most critical of, have been a breath of fresh air. He'd be in my XI for every big game right now.

BTW, you know who is the one throwing his hands up all game now? .... Mason Mount. Hopefully he grows out of that. 

I always thought Willian was one of the problems in the dressing room, maybe that's not the case here? He's actually looking captain material at the moment, he was last game, great senior performance. We need his experience in there. 

8 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I guess Willian is happy, he is first choice XI not needing to come off the bench, 

He wasn't to begin with, though. The place was up for grabs but he's made it his own by doing what the manager wants. As mentioned above his workrate has been fantastic. Hopefully he's not running on fumes by January. 

32 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

He wasn't to begin with, though. The place was up for grabs but he's made it his own by doing what the manager wants. As mentioned above his workrate has been fantastic. Hopefully he's not running on fumes by January. 

You also get the impression thanks to Frank that he is being appreciated for his work rate rather than just assists or goals,

19 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

erm..

We aren't missing hazard. I sometimes thought he was more a hindrance than a help. He slowed the play down and everything had to go through him. If he didnt perform, the team didn't. That seems to be the case this year. 

If we lost willian I just think we might notice it. The style of play we do supports a willian style of player,

Edited by bisright1

I wonder if Luiz’s departure has helped Willian’s attitude. All that talk about the Brazilians being cliquey (very possibly rubbish), so maybe Luiz was a bad influence? In which case, another masterstroke by SFL to sell Luiz, or am I suffering from halo effect? Apols if this has already been addressed in this thread (haven’t been on it much).

Not sure if Luiz was reason for anything. He is a leader type so there is a chance he felt different to most players about Frank. Glad Luiz got what he wanted: midtable mediocrity and Europa League.

I'd give him a new contract, he's in the form of his Chelsea career, and like Vardy I don't think he's slowing down in the 30s, on the contrary he's getting better. We refused 50M for him last season, pointless losing him now for free when he's in form. I reckon with Hazard gone, he's finally taking the senior player role.

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I wonder what the odds on him reverting to type if he were to sign a new contract?

Am I being too cynical?

There is always that risk with Willian, I would give him a 1 year offer with an option of a further year like Giroud. 

On 09/11/2019 at 22:37, Skinnedy said:

Of course the undisputed king of the wavy arms was Jimmy. Mind you I'm sure I read on here that his father was an Aircraft Marshall so it might just have been in the blood. 

4 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I wonder what the odds on him reverting to type if he were to sign a new contract?

Am I being too cynical?

Well thankfully you're not the gaffer.

Frank seems to have this magical rapport with all the players, he's like that teacher you had at school that wasn't so much strict, always had a smile, and was wise enough to control even the rowdy kids with straight talk.